Raptors' Defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors' Defence

I find it amusing that Coach Casey has berated his players for lack of defence. As DanH points out, the team was smashed by DeMarcus Cousins when the coach put two power forwards on him instead of a centre. Talk about setting up your team to fail! Then the Raptors had twice as many fouls called as did the Kings. I do not believe this was the entirely the result of poor play on the part of Toronto, given that the second game was held in Sleep Train Arena. It could be that the officials were dreaming up a lot of calls. On the other side of the ledger, the Raptors did not get some shooting fouls that should have gone their way.

So are the Raptors really that far behind on defensive play, or is the coach just talking his book? I think the next couple of games will be a better indicator of progress in that area. Certainly, I did not see any lack of effort. Many of the guys are fighting for minutes or a spot on the roster. They know what the coach wants and are working hard.
    Last edited by caccia; Fri Oct 10, 2014, 08:35 AM.

Ya, I think coach is just doing his best to promote a defensive culture/emphasis. I wouldn't look too deep into his comments yet.

Comment

Here are my 2 cents about defensive minded teams vs offensive minded teams

Teams that are more defensive orientated usually have more complex schemes, helping the help guys help guy whatever. Chemistry is a big part of defence, because in basketball HELP defence is SO important. I believe that defense first teams are the teams that may start the season off a little chopier, but end the season a lot stronger. Mastering Great defense TAKES time.

Comment

murphturph wrote: View Post
        Here are my 2 cents about defensive minded teams vs offensive minded teams

Teams that are more defensive orientated usually have more complex schemes, helping the help guys help guy whatever. Chemistry is a big part of defence, because in basketball HELP defence is SO important. I believe that defense first teams are the teams that may start the season off a little chopier, but end the season a lot stronger. Mastering Great defense TAKES time.
        I agree. However helping too much is bad, there is a fine balance.

All I can say about our D right now our second unit is awful. Our bench has taken a major step back to start the preseason.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
          I agree. However helping too much is bad, there is a fine balance.

All I can say about our D right now our second unit is awful. Our bench has taken a major step back to start the preseason.
          Keyword: Preseason. I am reserving my judgement on everything involving the team until at least 5 games in. Its too early.
          I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
          X