Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Antonio Davis the most underrated/underappreciated Raptors of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Antonio Davis the most underrated/underappreciated Raptors of all time?

Seeing this shot again, no Antonio Davis?

Davis was a GREAT player for the Raptors. He and Oakley were the captain of the early 2000's Raps team. He was an ALL-STAR back in 2001. But the thing that i remember the most about him was his season in 2002. Vince Carter missed the last 20-30 games of the season and missed the entire playoffs. Davis carried them that season after VC went down to make it to the playoffs. Raps won 14 of their last 17 or something like that to squeak in to the playoffs. And i remember they almost upset the Pistons in the 1st round that year. Pretty exciting 5 game series.

Btw, besides Davis, i think Oakley and Christie should be on that poster as well.
    Mamba Mentality

Not a glaring omission in my eyes.

He was pretty good while he was here, but he left in an ugly way and has taken a few pot shots at the Raptors/Toronto since then. And I know a couple of the other guys on that billboard left under less than amicable circumstances, but Davis never had the organizational significance that Stoudamire, Bosh or VC did.

All of the other guys on the poster are either current Raptor favourites (DD, Lowry, Amir) or guys who had a unique connection with the fan base (Mo Pete, JYD, Boogie Williams), and I'd personally rather see those guys paid homage to than Antonio Davis.

They probably decided to go with 9 players and Davis didn't make the cut. Who does he knock off if you want him included? No one for me.

Comment

I wouldn't have been mad to see Davis over JYD but it's not a glaring omission
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Where is Jose Calderon?! that is a big omission if you ask me (more deserved then mighty mouse).

Comment

Yea, he was a very good player while he was here. But as others have mentioned, not too big a slight. Looks like they went with the bunch of guys who have pretty much been the most exciting players to date?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
            Yea, he was a very good player while he was here. But as others have mentioned, not too big a slight. Looks like they went with the bunch of guys who have pretty much been the most exciting players to date?
            So why isn't Tmac there?! or even better question where is JV?!

Not much thought was put in that poster.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              So why isn't Tmac there?! or even better question where is JV?!

Not much thought was put in that poster.
              Not much thought based on what? The poster is a mix of current and former, and there is only some many players that can be featured. No matter who made the cut, someone would complain that another player is missing or more deserving.

The poster is fine as is, and there are multiple variations that also would have been acceptable; but that doesn't mean any are wrong.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Where is Jose Calderon?! that is a big omission if you ask me (more deserved then mighty mouse).
                Yeah that's whack. Jose is 2nd in all time games played, 1st in assists (more than DOUBLE the next nearest player), 4th in threes, 6th in points, 5th in steals, 3rd in win shares, 1st in FT%, and one of the classiest team-first guys we've ever had.

Maybe they felt he was too close to the Kyle Lowry era. No other real explanation.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Yeah that's whack. Jose is 2nd in all time games played, 1st in assists (more than DOUBLE the next nearest player), 4th in threes, 6th in points, 5th in steals, 3rd in win shares, 1st in FT%, and one of the classiest team-first guys we've ever had.

Maybe they felt he was too close to the Kyle Lowry era. No other real explanation.
                  Jose is under contract with the Knicks.

Comment

ryanc123 wrote: View Post
                    Jose is under contract with the Knicks.
                    Bosh and Vince are also under contract with other teams so what's your point?!

Comment

Bosh and Vince are also under contract with other teams so what's your point?!
                      The simple answer is that Jose does not equal Bosh/VC when it comes to historical significance.

And they don't play for chief rivals of the Raptors like Jose does.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                        The simple answer is that Jose does not equal Bosh/VC when it comes to historical significance.

And they don't play for chief rivals of the Raptors like Jose does.
                        Jose was also here for some of the most meaningless seasons for this franchise.

Clearly the poster is going for a franchise "20 year history" angle. Players who represent three key eras are Damon > Vince > Bosh, then you've got three current players featured most prominently and a couple fan favourites from the VC teams, which were significant in terms of franchise history.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

The biggest omission has got to be Mengke Bateer.

The first (and only) Mongolian player to ever wear an NBA uniform. It doesn't get more significant than that....

Comment

Honorable mention goes to this guy:

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Honorable mention goes to this guy:

Still a better rebounder than Bargnani
                              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                              X