Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Raptors Have Too Much Depth (Grantland article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Good points.

It is why horford is so appealing to me if he was available.
    What would it take to get Horford though?

I think no matter what Amir would be included, that's probably a given. Maybe if they decide to go for a rebuild if they struggle out the gates, perhaps they'd want us to take Korver or Thabo's contract as well? I still feel like even that and a couple of 1st round picks isn't enough. I'd see Atlanta wanting Ross or some kind of established prospect at least.

Comment

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post

I think no matter what Amir would be included, that's probably a given. Maybe if they decide to go for a rebuild if they struggle out the gates, perhaps they'd want us to take Korver or Thabo's contract as well? I still feel like even that and a couple of 1st round picks isn't enough. I'd see Atlanta wanting Ross or some kind of established prospect at least.
      So hard to guess though. Some teams might prefer a deal with more picks and might not care about a prospect. The advantage of favouring picks is that then all your young players have rookie-scale deals that overlap for all/most of their length (I think this makes sense especially if a team is completely tearing it down). Maybe they'd like 1st or 2nd year players who'll have at least a couple more rookie-scale years after the rebuild starts, but those are harder to pry away from teams than 3rd/4th year guys.

Comment

Chicago always been known as a frugally owned team. GV + Landry Fields + Hansbourough = Gibson+ Hinrich + Dunleavy

Raptors can do a follow up trade for Horford or resign Amir. Gibson gives them grit and rebounding prowess .

Comment

I would Patterson before Amir if I was to replace Milsap on a longer term contract . Even though Toronto is taking Horford , atlanta has Antic to replace Horford but no one to replace Milsap. Patterson fits that requirement. Chuck Hayes is included in the deal to cover Antic promotion and to teach Payne the nuances of the NBA

Comment

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post

I posted this in the 'one piece away' thread.. but I could see Atlanta coveting Monroe from Detroit and Detroit loving to get a 3&D young player like Ross for Monroe.

Atlanta gets Monroe and Fields (or Hayes)
            Toronto gets Horford
            Detroit gets Ross, Bro and a first from Toronto.

Amir still remains a Raptor (until next season potentially), and they get Horford. Atlanta saves cap space by getting a large expiring so they can give Monroe Horford's old contract ($12M per). Detroit gets a 3&D player, a backup PF on an expiring contract and a future first.. all of which I think is a great deal for a semi-disgruntled player.

Comment

Whoever said there's no such thing as too much beer, I wish I could throw up on your shoes right now.

I think this means there's such a thing as too much depth.

Also I have no idea where my keys are. If someone could mail them to me that would be great.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I posted this in the 'one piece away' thread.. but I could see Atlanta coveting Monroe from Detroit and Detroit loving to get a 3&D young player like Ross for Monroe.

Atlanta gets Monroe and Fields (or Hayes)
                Toronto gets Horford
                Detroit gets Ross, Bro and a first from Toronto.

Amir still remains a Raptor (until next season potentially), and they get Horford. Atlanta saves cap space by getting a large expiring so they can give Monroe Horford's old contract ($12M per). Detroit gets a 3&D player, a backup PF on an expiring contract and a future first.. all of which I think is a great deal for a semi-disgruntled player.
                I love the deal but if this were to go through, who's our starting sf. I wouldn't be comfortable starting jj. A lowry dd jj horford Jv lineup has no spacing.

Unless bruno suddenly becomes lebron, we would have a huge whole at sf.
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
                  I love the deal but if this were to go through, who's our starting sf. I wouldn't be comfortable starting jj. A lowry dd jj horford Jv lineup has no spacing.

Unless bruno suddenly becomes lebron, we would have a huge whole at sf.
                  Trading Ross would have that negative effect.. what you could do is move GV to the starting line up to give you some spacing. If you are playing NY, Brooklyn or Cleveland you put JJ in the starting line up instead.

I would also be curious as to how a JV/Horford/2Pat front court would work.. 2Pat would be a great spacer as well.

Either way it would be difficult. Next summer Matthews becomes a free agent and he'd be a great signing.. but that won't help for this year (assuming a trade like this goes through)

Comment

I honestly am cheesed by these too much depth being an issue with the Raptors. These new guys that we just got (Lou Williams, James Johnson, Steimsma, etc.) were brought here to fix what we needed to get fix after we lost narrowly to a more experienced team. We got a decent perimeter defender who has the size and strength to cover bigger, stronger wings after Joe Johnson just raped this team in the ass. We got another scorer off the bench in Lou Williams to help the Raptors protect a lead when our main starters like Demar and Lowry are on the bench (remember Game 5 when we had a 20+ point-lead, but we still needed Lowry to seal it in the last minutes).

As for trading Amir/Ross/etc for someone like Horford/Monroe/Millsap/etc., I think this is repeating what Indiana did last year when they traded their locker room leader, and added another centre to get more depth which destroyed their starting centre's confidence as well as brought chaos in their locker room, thereby wasting a supposedly make or break season. That was the definition of too much depth. It might work in 2K15, but you have to think about the intangibles too.

Comment

Too much depth is probably the best problem to have in the NBA.

Aside from not having enough fingers to hold all your championship rings.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                        Unrelated, but it's going to suck hearing Bruno's "2 years away from 2 years away" comment almost every game most likely if listening to the other team's commentators. It's like every single person calling Lowry a pitbull, there are other adjectives out there.
                        Watched the OKC game with OKC announcers. They didn't mention it (maybe for obvious reasons) but did spend time analyzing a few of the things he did. I think there a certain level of excitement among the hoops press. Is this a gamble that will pay off - and they get to place their money down. The 2 years + 2 years guy could have egg on his face.

As for Bruno, as he was not a disaster in summer league and in pre-season, it would be considered he's 1 year away from sorting out whether he'd be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd string wing player. Incomplete mark so far - and that's fine.

Comment

[QUOTE=2KJ;371519]I honestly am cheesed by these too much depth being an issue with the Raptors. These new guys that we just got (Lou Williams, James Johnson, Steimsma, etc.) were brought here to fix what we needed to get fix after we lost narrowly to a more experienced team. We got a decent perimeter defender who has the size and strength to cover bigger, stronger wings after Joe Johnson just raped this team in the ass. We got another scorer off the bench in Lou Williams to help the Raptors protect a lead when our main starters like Demar and Lowry are on the bench (remember Game 5 when we had a 20+ point-lead, but we still needed Lowry to seal it in the last minutes).

Go for Taj Gibson for Fields + Hansborough + 1st round in 2016(T.O.). Gibson is the backup Power Forward and Amir nor Ross must be traded. Amir backs up JV this year . Steamer is gone and Jordan Hamilton stays.

Comment

Just a note for the Monroe suggestion - he has no Bird Rights if he is traded. So ATL would still need to clear cap room to sign him in the offseason, and would only be able to offer 4 years like everyone else. In all likelihood, they may be trading for a one year rental if they target Monroe.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                              Go for Taj Gibson for Fields + Hansborough + 1st round in 2016(T.O.). Gibson is the backup Power Forward and Amir nor Ross must be traded. Amir backs up JV this year . Steamer is gone and Jordan Hamilton stays.
                              Gibson is basically Amir. I wouldn't want two Amir's. It's not even like he's younger, taj is 2 years older.

Taj scores 2 more points, but Amir shoots 10% better. I would rather have pat and Amir where pat stretches the floor and Amir the defensive anchor. 2 Amir's is overkill.
                              Last edited by yabadabayolo; Sun Oct 19, 2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Trading Ross would have that negative effect.. what you could do is move GV to the starting line up to give you some spacing. If you are playing NY, Brooklyn or Cleveland you put JJ in the starting line up instead.

I would also be curious as to how a JV/Horford/2Pat front court would work.. 2Pat would be a great spacer as well.

Either way it would be difficult. Next summer Matthews becomes a free agent and he'd be a great signing.. but that won't help for this year (assuming a trade like this goes through)
                                That's kinda a bandaid fix where your forcing 2 solid backups to become borderline starters until you can find their replacement which is not a guarantee. (Who knows if Mathews even likes the north)

This is one of those one step forward one step back scenarios. You beef up the pf position but mess up the sf position. I would only trade ross if for certain I have a player that can take over with minimal loss. Kinda how when gay was traded, ross was in waiting.

Comment

Working...
                                X