Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the Raptors Have Too Much Depth (Grantland article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Good thing OJ Mayo isn't on the Raps
    Such a good thing....I remember the days when every now and then someone would bring up how they'd rather have Mayo than DeMar....so glad those days are past

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      It's not being smug to suggest that alcohol is a destructive force in our society. I didn't say you shouldn't drink or enjoy drinking. But you shouldn't make light of it by saying "you can never have too much beer", since people die every day because someone drank too much. *And I wouldn't even have a problem if you said that privately with a group of your friends, but it can be a pretty insensitive thing to say on a public forum where it's almost guaranteed that some people have had their lives severely and irreversibly impacted by the drink.

When people start dying because of a self-depricating joke (I am white, after all) that's also the title of a hugely popular film specifically in the cultural niche of basketball, which is where this forum fits in, and plays on a stereotype that persists within that cultural niche, then by all means, call me out. I get that my name will bother some people, but it's meant to make you either laugh at the joke, or ponder the stereotype's place in our bball culture. I doubt it reminds anyone of personal, devastating traumas.

*And also, my initial response was just to say it's not a great comparison since it's not really true. You then kept pushing the issue. You could've just been like "yeah, I know. Just a joke, man, sorry if it offends anybody"....but yeah, instead you just keep pushing it.
      Get off your soapbox. People are going to exercise their right to free speech by writing whatever they want to write save for sedition,treason and outright racial slurs without fear of the thought police coming down on them for what they think. Its an open internet forum on sports for goodness sake. If you keep on your current tack of self righteous pontification towards those who express ideas that are counter to yours be prepared for many a heat seeker to come your way. Most people don't want to be told what to think.

As an aside...whether you use White men can't jump or Caucasians can't hopscotch as your moniker/avatar its your absolute right to do so.

This started out as a depth discussion. Do the Raps have to much depth per the Grantland article.
      You can never have enough depth in pro sports. Injuries, circumstances outside of your own team that could lead to trade possibilities are unpredictable. Having a deep lineup helps to take advantage of those instances. Just saying that is so bland. Saying it with a an illustrative metaphor is fun. Let a little fun and hyperbole into your sphere WMCJ. Like the song goes.. its better to laugh with the sinners than die with the saints.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        Get off your soapbox. People are going to exercise their right to free speech by writing whatever they want to write save for sedition,treason and outright racial slurs without fear of the thought police coming down on them for what they think. Its an open internet forum on sports for goodness sake. If you keep on your current tack of self righteous pontification towards those who express ideas that are counter to yours be prepared for many a heat seeker to come your way. Most people don't want to be told what to think.

As an aside...whether you use White men can't jump or Caucasians can't hopscotch as your moniker/avatar its your absolute right to do so.

This started out as a depth discussion. Do the Raps have to much depth per the Grantland article.
        You can never have enough depth in pro sports. Injuries, circumstances outside of your own team that could lead to trade possibilities are unpredictable. Having a deep lineup helps to take advantage of those instances. Just saying that is so bland. Saying it with a an illustrative metaphor is fun. Let a little fun and hyperbole into your sphere WMCJ. Like the song goes.. its better to laugh with the sinners than die with the saints.
        You don't have to choose hyperbole that is severely insensitive. For instance, in your laundry list of "things you can't have too much of", none of them could in any way be insulting or insensitive (and all easily accepted as accurate). You could have chosen any number of different metaphors to illustrate...yet you still pushed the beer comparison (which I simply pointed out might not be great, and is also false). And again, seemingly with the desire to prove you're right and there's nothing wrong at all with what you're saying just kept trying to justify it, when you could've just been like "joking around, don't worry about it". I don't know why. You seem to want to go out of your way to prove that you have a right to be an asshole. And you do. That doesn't mean you're not an asshole. And I'm well within my right to point it out. Asshole.
        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Oct 18, 2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          I'm w/ Leo on this.

clearly nothing goes over the head of the man who ranks doug christie above demar derozan,

Comment

Oh my god you've made way too big a deal out of a really innocent comment.

Really gonna start a huge debate over "you can't get too much beer".

He's not endorsing drunk driving. Jesus
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post

Well, I mean, it likely is offensive to people on the board, as there are a LOT of people affected negatively by drunk driving. I think pointing that specifically out was justified. But the discussion should have stopped there.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post

Well all I said at first was it's probably not a great comparison, especially since it's not true. Would've had no problem ending the discussion there.

Then he asked me about it and I was just pointing out why it's not the best choice. That led him to come at me for being too touchy for pointing it out.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Oct 18, 2014, 08:50 PM.

Comment

man the raptors are deep
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

No such thing as too much depth.

There is a such thing as too many players in the rotation. Depth isn't an issue as long as Casey keeps an 8-9 man rotation with the rest of the active players getting garbage-time minutes.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      man the raptors are deep
                      Deeper than a Woodbridge deep v-neck?

Or deeper than this giant tub of fucking beer I'm gonna drink?

Or are they deeper than the deep anonymous convos we all get suckered into in this forum?

But when you think about it, what is deep but depth over all? Except, is it under? Deep.
                      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                      Because its 2015

Comment

I don't know what anything you said means lol
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          man the raptors are deep
                          So deep I can see Adele rolling in there.

Why so much hate on Leo Rautins though? I thought he was on point about the Spurs. And just last season, Indiana did the same thing, but they overdid it in the middle of the season when they traded for Andrew Bynum and Evan Turner, and got rid of Danny Granger.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Well all I said at first was it's probably not a great comparison, especially since it's not true. Would've had no problem ending the discussion there.

Then he asked me about it and I was just pointing out why it's not the best choice. That led him to come at me for being too touchy for pointing it out.

Fair enough I guess
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Here's another pessimistic way to look at it. I looked for an okc sports news site the other day to see their report of the last exhibition game. Thought it would be neat to see what they had to say about the victorious raps. Instead, they point out that in the beginning of the first and third quarters, before any subs were made, okc led by a cumulative 6 points. This suggested the balance of the score, which wound up being lopsided in favor of the raps, was more the result of random bench players that will likely play a minimal role in the regular season.
                              This is a familiar refrain, that the the raps have had a bench that could beat another bench (not early last season) but our starting five did not match other strong starting fives. That would play out as the starting five would play the majority of the minutes, especially at playoff time.
                              Maybe it was a bit of a backhanded compliment. The glass have full is that you gave too much depth. The glass half empty is that your starters aren't that much better than your bench.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                Here's another pessimistic way to look at it. I looked for an okc sports news site the other day to see their report of the last exhibition game. Thought it would be neat to see what they had to say about the victorious raps. Instead, they point out that in the beginning of the first and third quarters, before any subs were made, okc led by a cumulative 6 points. This suggested the balance of the score, which wound up being lopsided in favor of the raps, was more the result of random bench players that will likely play a minimal role in the regular season.
                                This is a familiar refrain, that the the raps have had a bench that could beat another bench (not early last season) but our starting five did not match other strong starting fives. That would play out as the starting five would play the majority of the minutes, especially at playoff time.
                                Maybe it was a bit of a backhanded compliment. The glass have full is that you gave too much depth. The glass half empty is that your starters aren't that much better than your bench.
                                Good points.

It is why horford is so appealing to me if he was available.

Comment

Working...
                                X