Trade Market is God Awful - One Piece Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade Market is God Awful - One Piece Away

I was exploring the ESPN trade machine this afternoon and I did so from the "one piece away perspective".

I looked at need and fit and determined a two way borderline all star at the 3 or 4 was needed.

I looked at who was actually obtainable (clearly Lebron James or LeMarcus Aldridge are not coming)

I came away quite depressed (the GM trade machine me that is). We have numerous expirings, two TPEs and all of our first rounders plus 1 coming up.

The only SF that I think could move the needle for us in terms of fit was Danillo Gallinari (if he's healthy it's a great fit but not sold he makes the difference. Josh Smith could likely be had for the right deal but would not fit here AT ALL

In terms of PF the only fit I found was Paul Millsap and I doubt he could be had.

CONCLUSIONS

1.) It's a do nothing year.

2.) We are likely going to lose Hayes, Hansbrough, Fields for nothing (which is actually fine)

3.) We run the risk by adding two more rookies this year (2015 draft) of being too young.

4.) I'm willing to bet a sizeable amount of my pubes that Masai barely even tinkers with the roster this year. He may attempt to grab second rounders for Hansbrough but that is IT.

5.) I'm okay with the contunuity.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with Amir and Lou, as both of their contracts are up after this season as well.

Considering the wear & tear on Amir's body and his wonky ankles, how high do you go before he becomes an overpaid liability? If Lou has a return to form season, becoming a key bench player alongside Vasquez & Patterson, what's the best course of action - deadline trade bait, offseason S&T bait, re-signed as 6th man microwave (again, how high are you willing to go before he becomes cost prohibitive)?

Next offseason should be a lot more intriguing to watch unfold than this year's was.

Comment

If Amir cant stay healthy you resign him in the 2 to 4 million dollar range and keep him around as a player coach, chemist/backup 4 think Haslem/Joel Anthony.

If he stays healthy you do the Patterson deal, but fixed dollars, no raises. 3 yrs 18million

If Lou returns to form...same deal. If he doesn't let him walk. I like what I am seeing from pre-season though
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

SF is in a holding pattern for now.

Ross/JJ holding down the fort with Bruno waiting in the wings. I'm fully expecting him to be a starter in 2 years.

The guy, who if proves healthy, that I like is Horford - as I've said before. I think he wants to play PF next to a true C and the types of injuries he has had are not going to be helped banging against the biggest in the league night in and night out.

Given his injury history and new ownership coming to Atlanta, they might be looking to tear down and the cost to get Horford might not be obscene..... at least that is what I tell myself.

Comment

I have long been a fan of Horford. I think if a reasonable deal presented itself you would have to jump on it

i.e. Amir/Ross 2nd rounder gets them a pick and young prospect and 12 million in relief
          Last edited by thead; Fri Oct 17, 2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

We could have Millsap next summer just by shelling out some money. No need to trade for him this year.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
              I have long been a fan of Horford. I think if a reasonable deal presented itself you would have to jump on it

i.e. Amir/Ross 2nd rounder gets them a pick and young prospect and 12 million in relief
              Ideally you'd go Amir/1st rounder/2nd rounder and keep Ross.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I like the Horford gamble if ATL blows it up, so long as the cost is expirings, cash and picks.

If the cost is higher, I prefer targeting Millsap via free agency. Big rotation of JV-Millsap-Patterson-BeBe. Wing rotation of DD-Ross-JJ-GV. Imagine for 12 minutes a game we run out shooters everywhere with Millsap-PP-Ross-Lowry letting DD slash to the hoop at will.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

thead wrote: View Post

If Atlanta ever makes Horford available in a trade, a bidding war would almost certainly break out. The shine may have been removed from Horford due to his injuries, but he is an amazing player when healthy. Would fit great starting at power forward beside Valanciunas, while also being able to play solid minutes at center alongside of Patterson. He could be an ideal frontcourt partner to both of them.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  It's also going to be interesting to see what happens with Amir and Lou, as both of their contracts are up after this season as well.

Considering the wear & tear on Amir's body and his wonky ankles, how high do you go before he becomes an overpaid liability? If Lou has a return to form season, becoming a key bench player alongside Vasquez & Patterson, what's the best course of action - deadline trade bait, offseason S&T bait, re-signed as 6th man microwave (again, how high are you willing to go before he becomes cost prohibitive)?

Next offseason should be a lot more intriguing to watch unfold than this year's was.
                  I may be alone in this, but since the Raptors acquired Lou I have been viewing him primarily as a trade asset. I believe that Ujiri was really only aiming for Nogueira, but is hoping that Lou bounces back to the point that he is a flippable asset.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

are you guys truly looking at what to do, next year, already????

should we not let um play this season first?

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      are you guys truly looking at what to do, next year, already????

should we not let um play this season first?
                      Considering I brought up what to do next year as an alternative to a discussion on making a trade now, I would think you'd be on my side, given your desire to let them play this season first.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I think Masai will trade at least one of our picks this year. We can't be too young.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                          If Atlanta ever makes Horford available in a trade, a bidding war would almost certainly break out. The shine may have been removed from Horford due to his injuries, but he is an amazing player when healthy. Would fit great starting at power forward beside Valanciunas, while also being able to play solid minutes at center alongside of Patterson. He could be an ideal frontcourt partner to both of them.

I may be alone in this, but since the Raptors acquired Lou I have been viewing him primarily as a trade asset. I believe that Ujiri was really only aiming for Nogueira, but is hoping that Lou bounces back to the point that he is a flippable asset.
                          On Lou, I don't think you're alone. I'm with you. It was a low risk gamble since they had no cap space anyways to add a useful player on an expiring contract and pick up a prospect in the process.

Regarding Atlanta, I am not sure about a bidding war. A few parameters: 1) any team looking to trade for him and give up significant assets is going to want to feel out him/his agent for long term, 2) I think he/his agent make it clear they don't want to play C and sing this logic, you eliminate teams already set at PF or lacking a C, 3) he isn't reupping with a rebuilding team as an UFA in 2016, 4) rebuilding teams aren't looking to drop money on potential max free agents, 5) few teams are going to go deep in to luxury tax to add him , 6) ATL isn't giving him away (forget it Miami, New York,

With those very elaborate parameters, I see this:

Orlando
                          Golden State
                          Lakers
                          Minnesota
                          Phoenix
                          Sacramento
                          Brooklyn

Orlando questionable because divisional rival however I've read rumours they were looking to start adding quality players to youth to ensure a losing mentality doesn't take root.

Golden State - David Lee and Harrison Barnes. Not sure how Atlanta feels about paying Lee next year. I see a great possible 3 team deal with Horford in GS, Lee in Orlando, and Atlanta getting Barnes, financial relief, and 1/2 of the 3 2nd round picks Orlando has coming in 2015.

Lakers - Boozer's expiring and Randle? LA have never been patient type especially with Kobe's clock ticking.

Minnesota - Pekovic and Muhammad? Or Barea, Dieng, Muhammad, Turiaf?

Phoenix - Len, Green, and 1 of 3 first round 2015 picks? But what about the Morris twins and the $52M recently committed to them over next 4 years?

Sacramento - Williams, Thompson, McLemore?

Brooklyn - if KG waives his no trade clause? Teletubby, AK47, Plumlee, Bogdanovic, 2nd round pick?

Not sure how realistic any of these are but I could Toronto at least being in the discussion and maybe having the trump card if both Ross and a 1st were included along with expirings to make the $ work.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            On Lou, I don't think you're alone. I'm with you. It was a low risk gamble since they had no cap space anyways to add a useful player on an expiring contract and pick up a prospect in the process.

Regarding Atlanta, I am not sure about a bidding war. A few parameters: 1) any team looking to trade for him and give up significant assets is going to want to feel out him/his agent for long term, 2) I think he/his agent make it clear they don't want to play C and sing this logic, you eliminate teams already set at PF or lacking a C, 3) he isn't reupping with a rebuilding team as an UFA in 2016, 4) rebuilding teams aren't looking to drop money on potential max free agents, 5) few teams are going to go deep in to luxury tax to add him , 6) ATL isn't giving him away (forget it Miami, New York,

With those very elaborate parameters, I see this:

Orlando
                            Golden State
                            Lakers
                            Minnesota
                            Phoenix
                            Sacramento
                            Brooklyn

Orlando questionable because divisional rival however I've read rumours they were looking to start adding quality players to youth to ensure a losing mentality doesn't take root.

Golden State - David Lee and Harrison Barnes. Not sure how Atlanta feels about paying Lee next year. I see a great possible 3 team deal with Horford in GS, Lee in Orlando, and Atlanta getting Barnes, financial relief, and 1/2 of the 3 2nd round picks Orlando has coming in 2015.

Lakers - Boozer's expiring and Randle? LA have never been patient type especially with Kobe's clock ticking.

Minnesota - Pekovic and Muhammad? Or Barea, Dieng, Muhammad, Turiaf?

Phoenix - Len, Green, and 1 of 3 first round 2015 picks? But what about the Morris twins and the $52M recently committed to them over next 4 years?

Sacramento - Williams, Thompson, McLemore?

Brooklyn - if KG waives his no trade clause? Teletubby, AK47, Plumlee, Bogdanovic, 2nd round pick?

Not sure how realistic any of these are but I could Toronto at least being in the discussion and maybe having the trump card if both Ross and a 1st were included along with expirings to make the $ work.
                            Some interesting suggestions. Particularly like the Phoenix suggestion. Horford could be a great fit on their roster, but you are right that they have a lot of money tied up in the Morris twins.

Not wanting to get us too far away from the Raptors in this, but I also think San Antonio would make a run at Horford. Seems like a Popovich type of player, and they have assets that they could spend. Horford would add to an already loaded frontcourt, and could be Duncan's heir. Something like Splitter, Anderson/Joseph, and a few draft picks (San Antonio has all of their own firsts moving forward).

But back to the topic at hand. The original post is right, the Raptors need a big game 3 or 4 in order to move the needle on the team. I can't see any small forwards that could do this and would also be available.
                            http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

I've said it from day one,this team is David West away from competing for championship. Can they win it NO,but compete for it,Yes.
                              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                              X