Trade Market is God Awful - One Piece Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    The cap space is not an issue. They've only $36m committed with Horford for next year.
    Bump that up to $51M if you include both Millsap's and Carroll's cap holds.. They should have about $14M for a big contract next summer (like Monroe).. but I just don't see a scenario where Atlanta would be willing to keep Monroe, Horford and Millsap.

Comment

Why dont we just make a play for Greg Monroe?
      I've been saying this time and time again.

Monroe & Val would work like Pau & Bynum
      Patterson could come off the bench and space the floor really nicely

Monroe is a perfect option in the halfcourt because of his post prowess whereas Horford doesn't really have that
      Monroe is ready to breakout because he couldn't get numbers with Josh Smith & Brandon Jennings bricking up mid range Js, and Drummond playing inside with him

We have a lot coming off the books this summer in Hayes, Fields, Hansbrough, Lou so we can sign him outright, and sign Amir to a smaller contract as a backup 5 off the bench.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
        Why dont we just make a play for Greg Monroe?
        I've been saying this time and time again.

Monroe & Val would work like Pau & Bynum
        Patterson could come off the bench and space the floor really nicely

Monroe is a perfect option in the halfcourt because of his post prowess whereas Horford doesn't really have that
        Monroe is ready to breakout because he couldn't get numbers with Josh Smith & Brandon Jennings bricking up mid range Js, and Drummond playing inside with him

We have a lot coming off the books this summer in Hayes, Fields, Hansbrough, Lou so we can sign him outright, and sign Amir to a smaller contract as a backup 5 off the bench.
        Don't want Monroe. But even if we did, we probably don't have enough cap room to sign both him and Amir.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          The cap space is not an issue. They've only $36m committed with Horford for next year.
          Sure, but he could still walk for nothing. Why take the risk when for zero risk you can sign him outright next summer?
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So one thing seems to be pretty certain from all this discussion...Detroit will either lose Monroe, or pay a price tag higher than they wanted to keep him. Either way it just seems like Detroit didn't handle his free agency very well this past summer.

Comment

Why trade for Horford. I like him a lot as well, but what exactly happens that makes us way better than if we just signed Millsap next summer. We have enough money for that too.

Raptors + Horford - Ross/Johnson = Moderate Net Gain
              Raptors + Millsap = Large Net Gain

This is just because we won't give any starters up for Millsap next summer, just money. On the other hand, Horford doesn't make up for Johnson/Ross, and then also add onto it so much that it is larger than the impact just signing Millsap would have. So I don't really see the point here.

And Monroe is a worse defender than both, he doesn't have too much mobility for PF, and is mostly a post-up player, which will take space away from JV. Don't want.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                So one thing seems to be pretty certain from all this discussion...Detroit will either lose Monroe, or pay a price tag higher than they wanted to keep him. Either way it just seems like Detroit didn't handle his free agency very well this past summer.
                Considering his demands, it was a bit if a lose-lose for them. Walking out of the summer with Monroe on a huge max deal is no good for them either. They screwed up by not having a plan in place beforehand. You have to have an idea of whether you are that far apart in negotiations for an extension, and look into trades while you still can. Or maybe they knew and are just OK with him walking. I certainly wouldn't be too upset - he's not really that great. But I'd certainly prefer a return of some sort.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                  Why trade for Horford. I like him a lot as well, but what exactly happens that makes us way better than if we just signed Millsap next summer. We have enough money for that too.

Raptors + Horford - Ross/Johnson = Moderate Net Gain
                  Raptors + Millsap = Large Net Gain

This is just because we won't give any starters up for Millsap next summer, just money. On the other hand, Horford doesn't make up for Johnson/Ross, and then also add onto it so much that it is larger than the impact just signing Millsap would have. So I don't really see the point here.

And Monroe is a worse defender than both, he doesn't have too much mobility for PF, and is mostly a post-up player, which will take space away from JV. Don't want.
                  In theory, the one upside I can see to a deal for Horford, is if we can keep some of our free agents rather than needing to use cap space. Say the Horford deal is expirings plus Ross plus a pick - but the expirings are Hayes and Hansbrough instead of Amir. Then next summer we can keep the rights to Amir and Lou and go over the cap to keep them both.

Lowry, GV
                  DD, Lou
                  JJ, Fields, Caboclo
                  Horford, Patterson
                  JV, Amir

And we'd have the full MLE to add a guard or a floor-stretching SF.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                    Considering his demands, it was a bit if a lose-lose for them. Walking out of the summer with Monroe on a huge max deal is no good for them either. They screwed up by not having a plan in place beforehand. You have to have an idea of whether you are that far apart in negotiations for an extension, and look into trades while you still can. Or maybe they knew and are just OK with him walking. I certainly wouldn't be too upset - he's not really that great. But I'd certainly prefer a return of some sort.
                    Yeah, clearly there was no real plan in place. And on top of it all, there were obvious concerns developing because of the difficulty in playing Monroe and Drummond together. I can't imagine him walking for nothing is their preferred scenario, because really, who wouldn't prefer a return? But the whole situation was bungled...probably didn't help that they had a management change. It's also not like Detroit is a free agency hotbed, so it's really not great if you lose talented pieces for nothing.

Comment

Patterson+Hayes+ 1st round pick for Horsford

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                        Patterson+Hayes+ 1st round pick for Horsford
                        No chance that happens.

Also, any PF we trade for/sign needs to have a jump shot. If they're our long term PF, a defensive-minded PF that can hit a midrange/three is optimal.

AKA Ibaka/Bosh type of player.

No players of that mold that are relatively young are attainable for us, so we need to look at SF for our impact player IMO.

Comment

Millsap, dude. Next summer, free agency.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I wonder how many Atlanta games I'll be able to catch...?

Comment

Honestly, all of this talk for Al Horford ignores lots of facts:

- he's not really a franchise-player-level guy, but a "second star"
                              - he'll be expensive
                              - between Jonas, Amir and PP, our big rotation is pretty solid with room to improve
                              - did we mention EXPENSIVE

Why is nobody talking about Jeff Green? He can be likely had for relatively cheap, because his final year (next year) is a player option and he'll opt out for TV contract money.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                                Honestly, all of this talk for Al Horford ignores lots of facts:

- he's not really a franchise-player-level guy, but a "second star"
                                - he'll be expensive
                                - between Jonas, Amir and PP, our big rotation is pretty solid with room to improve
                                - did we mention EXPENSIVE

Why is nobody talking about Jeff Green? He can be likely had for relatively cheap, because his final year (next year) is a player option and he'll opt out for TV contract money.
                                http://hoopshabit.com/2014/10/17/tor...green-bad-fit/

Comment

Working...
                                X