Parliament Hill under attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    disagree wholeheartedly. this happened because a group of evil people want to cause fear anywhere they are. they want to show the world they are everywhere. saying this is on harper is ludicrous. causing us to give up freedoms and live like we are constantly under attack is exactly what they are after. now they have defeated canada.
    Not sure how you can say that. Declare war on the ISIS - have 2 soldiers killed. Not sure how you can think they are unrelated.

I agree with the rest, and thats exactly what I speaking to earlier. Only that I feel like the Harper Government would be more than happy to turn into a 'Police State'; at least to the effect that the US has.

Comment

This just happened moments ago near the War Memorial. http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/ID/2567922224/

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        Not sure how you can say that. Declare war on the ISIS - have 2 soldiers killed. Not sure how you can think they are unrelated.

I agree with the rest, and thats exactly what I speaking to earlier. Only that I feel like the Harper Government would be more than happy to turn into a 'Police State'; at least to the effect that the US has.
        are our war dead from ww2 on the crown?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          It is time for Canada to return to its role as a humanitarian country.
          Not to take away from the rest of your post, because I believe it was pretty much exactly on point, but THIS right here, is exactly what I feel is the crux of the issue. Canada has lost its moral Compass at an international level. And it sucks.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
            This just happened moments ago near the War Memorial. http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/ID/2567922224/

blocked for me. can you please summarize?

Comment

blocked for me. can you please summarize?
              Basically its a clip of the RCMP with guns pulled as someone crossed one of the cordoned off areas downtown. Right in front of D'Arcy McGee's at the corner of Elgin St. and Sparks St.. Personally it looks like one of the guys from the Mission or Salvation Army. Likely oblivious to what happened yesterday and thought it was just a construction zone which most of downtown Ottawa is currently under.

Comment

Basically its a clip of the RCMP with guns pulled as someone crossed one of the cordoned off areas downtown. Right in front of D'Arcy McGee's at the corner of Elgin St. and Sparks St.. Personally it looks like one of the guys from the Mission or Salvation Army. Likely oblivious to what happened yesterday and thought it was just a construction zone which most of downtown Ottawa is currently under.
                thanks. i hope they give him drinking money because when they tell him what's up he is going to need a drink

Comment

are our war dead from ww2 on the crown?
                  Wee bit different I'd say. But I'd say they are, yes. Look at Switzerland; how many Military Related Deaths have they had? What I assume to be a very low number is due to a decision maintained by their government.

Comment

Exactly just a homeless guy, getting gaffled.

Comment

Wee bit different I'd say. But I'd say they are, yes. Look at Switzerland; how many Military Related Deaths have they had? What I assume to be a very low number is due to a decision maintained by their government.
                      war is war and standing up for what is right is always the choice a country should make. standing on the sides and claiming neutrality is not for canada. we are awesome. we aren't here to let everyone else fight for freedom and then profit off of whoever wins.

i also assume they have a low number of military deaths. but who is going to invade canada? what is our military for if not for taking out evil? if no one fights extremism, it wins, because everyone just hopes it doesn't come to them and let's it take the world piece by piece.

hypothetical, switzerland sits out world war two and germany wins. are they then lauded as heroes by the new world order or destroyed for not joining sooner?

evil only has to win one time. the good guys have to win everytime.

i'm not only talking about islamic extremism, i would do away with those westboro people asap too. we don't need that kind of hate anymore.

Comment

war is war and standing up for what is right is always the choice a country should make. standing on the sides and claiming neutrality is not for canada. we are awesome. we aren't here to let everyone else fight for freedom and then profit off of whoever wins.

i also assume they have a low number of military deaths. but who is going to invade canada? what is our military for if not for taking out evil? if no one fights extremism it wins, because everyone just hopes it doesn't come to them and let's it take the world piece by piece.

hypothetical, switzerland sits out world war two and germany wins. are they then lauded as heroes by the new world order or destroyed for not joining sooner?

i'm not only talking about islamic extremism, i would do away with those westboro people asap too. we don't need that kind of hate anymore.
                        Well as much as I agree with Westboro, I kinda think the extremist religion thing extends well past that in the christian faith....WAY past that. You just don't feel it as much because you grew up beside it.

I'd can all religion if I could. All of it. Religion simply handcuffs human progress, it's been in place as a control since it started.

Comment

What are you saying? We should be neutral in all armed conflicts? We are not Switzerland or Denmark sir. It wasn't easy for Switzerland to maintain a state of armed neutrality in world wars also. What makes you think we can stay neutral in world conflicts? Let's just give few military bases to Russians, let's give up arctic as we've just heard that Russians deployed 6000 troops in arctic region. Let's stay neutral in every conflict and we'll see what happens.

Our country is too big to stay neutral. Interest in our country would be much higher than in Switzerland. There'd be no safe heaven for refugees like it was in Switzerland during world wars.

Comment

i agree with a lot of your questioning matt but these people throw rocks at people until they die for having sex. A lot of what you are saying is ignoring how we got to be so awesome. freedom costs a buck-o-five, it isn't free. there is a hefty fucking fee.

what i would like to see is canada and harper lead by example and not let us change. look through and see where we could have done better and how we can keep people "as safe as possible" but not knee jerk into wire-tapping etc. these people need to see that what they do has no effect on how the people live.

our lives are better because of freedom, for example we don't throw rocks at people until they die. that has no place in society. might as well burn witches if they don't float. i am proud that our country stands up for that. we live in a time and place where we don't need "world domination" and everyone to follow in line.

i sincerely hope that muslims aren't targeted in canada because of this, i want canada to be a leader in love and understanding. take the fight to these people and continue our way of life.

this is all assuming the incident is related to extremism and not a singular incident.
                            Who are these people? ISIS? Sure that is deplorable, in my opinion. But who am I to tell another culture what is right or wrong? Where do we draw the line on what is appropriate and just in our own society let alone another?

What about UAE?

Foreign maids from impoverished countries endure physical, sexual and emotional abuse in the United Arab Emirates, trapped by a system that denies them protection, an international rights group said Thursday.

Human Rights Watch called on the UAE to reform a restrictive visa system and pass a labor law for domestic workers to stop the abuses.

"We already bought you. You don't have the right to complain," Filipina Marelie Brua said in a video interview with HRW, recounting her former employer's words.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...n-rights-group
                            What about getting your hand cut off for stealing in Saudi Arabia? What about the fact Saudi Arabia is home to some of the worst human rights violations in the world yet are an ally to the west?

Do we invade these countries? Should we set their people free? Why are they considered our allies when they commit acts as equally as atrocious as ISIS?

Why don't we start sending cheap medications to people in the US that they have to pay obscene amounts for? Go ahead and see what happens. It only seems just and right that you help people who have to choose between poverty and health.

If you have a friend you might not respect or accept all the choices they make but you have to let them lead their own lives. You can't interfere and force your will upon them. If you do in the end they will only rebel and reject your 'assistance'.

This freedom you speak of is not black and white. A society needs laws. What is important or not is just as much value and culture based. Quite often there is little right or wrong. Why is it wrong or illegal to do coke? Why is it illegal to purchase medicine from Mexico in the US? Why can't a person do an act to themselves that harms no one else yet is considered illegal? If we were truly free we'd be able to do what we please as long as we did not harm another person.

The bottom line is what is right or wrong often aligns with a countries best interests. How an ISIS be wrong and Saudi Arabia be right? And since neither are right why are we allies with one and an enemy with another?

It is a well known fact that radical terrorist activity and recruitment only rises when the US/allies go interfere in other nation states. It does not matter if it is for humanitarian efforts or for self serving interests.

If we really want to end ISIS, quit supporting insurgencies and respect the sovereignty of other countries until and unless US/Canada/Allies are truly committed to over throwing every single authoritarian dictatorship regardless of political alliances no matter where they are in the world (Europe, Middle East, AFrica, etc.). That of course is never going to happen so just leave well enough alone.

I might sound like I'm on a soap box and preaching here but here is the reality: we attempt to raise our children with the morals and values that will help them lead a productive and healthy life - however we can't force it. At some point we have to let our children go and let them make their own decisions. The child will have to live with the consequences of their decisions and we, as parents, will have to respect and accept that. It might be simplistic but a nation is not much different than a child.

It is continued and persistent western interference over the last 50-60 years that has led to the mess we currently see in the middle east.
                            Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Oct 23, 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

That might be one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

Comment

i also assume they have a low number of military deaths. but who is going to invade canada? what is our military for if not for taking out evil? if no one fights extremism, it wins, because everyone just hopes it doesn't come to them and let's it take the world piece by piece.

When one nation state invades, let alone conquers, another, then yes, decisions have to be made. When has that happened in the last 25 years outside of Kuwait?

However in each of the 7 countries the US has bombed under Obama in the last 6 years, which country made an attack on another?

You're blurring lines with the real issues here..... and ISIS were the moderates who the US were funding in Syria just last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X