Most surprising so far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most surprising so far?

10 games in...ups and downs...nailbiters and blowouts.

Who has surprised you the most so far? Good or bad.

Personally, I'm floored by Bosh. I was never a hater, but I wasn't a blind lover either. He is as determined as a dog going after a bone so far and I've become a big fan of how he isn't showing up the officials any more. Sure, he is going inside more and drawing contact, but doing so without always looking for a call goes a long way in the unwritten law of officiating.

Hands down Bosh. It's like everything Raptors fans have pissed and moaned about Bosh over the last couple years, he's listened to those criticisms and changed his style of game altogether. Not settling for as many mid range jumpers and playing the post with no fear. Its been very impressive.

I'm hoping that within due time we see Andrea playing more in the post too because he's proven that he can "shake" with the best of them in the key. Not to mention having both Bosh and Andrea consistently in the post will also increases our odds of offensive boards and second hand chances.

Comment

Belinelli. I've written about this elsewhere - basically, I thought he was a pretty crummy player before the season started. "Replacement level" as stat-geeks would say. I saw a ton of bad shots and turnovers out of him last year in GS and thought Raptors Nation was way, way too high on him. But now, I've turned into a fan.

Part of it is probably the fact that I was biased against him last season - I HATED that he was getting minutes that Anthony Morrow deserved. Part of it was because, well, he really was turning the ball over and taking bad shots. And that's not even talking about the defense.

With Toronto, he's cut down the turnovers a bit and he's scoring very efficiently, even though he's still taking some very "questionable" shots. I appreciate his aggressiveness and his creativity with the ball. It's also nice to see a three-point gunner who ACTUALLY SHOOTS THE BALL, as opposed to what we saw from Kapono last season. His defense still isn't very good, but it's not awful, either. Every game, I look forward to the bench guys coming in, and he's a part of that.

Comment

Every time he shoots I am thinking "Oh No!" - off balance, quick release poor fundamentals but so far they've been going in.

I guess that's the bottom line but really I can't believe it can continue. He is creative and a good passer. Defence or rather lack of same as advertised!
        Twitter:@coachclement

The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

Comment

James wrote: View Post
          With Toronto, he's cut down the turnovers a bit and he's scoring very efficiently, even though he's still taking some very "questionable" shots. I appreciate his aggressiveness and his creativity with the ball. It's also nice to see a three-point gunner who ACTUALLY SHOOTS THE BALL, as opposed to what we saw from Kapono last season. His defense still isn't very good, but it's not awful, either. Every game, I look forward to the bench guys coming in, and he's a part of that.
          Maybe it was just my perverse eye, but seeing him run the floor without the ball on Sunday gave me Kapono flashbacks. Same type of cuts, same positioning at the end of them. Gahhh.

He still has a ways to go to be a "surprise" to me, but a lot of that is probably coming from what I perceived to be a huge outpouring of anticipation after his signing.

Comment

Bosh: Always thought he had it in him. Great to see it. I hate all the "contract year" chatter. With CBA as it is, he would max out if he slept through the season. Loving his game this year.

Marco B: Thought he was a "buddy signing" for Bargs, but has turned into an X-Factor. Hope he keeps it up.

Jack: I was most excited by JJ's signing in the off season. So far he has been a disappointment, but not tragic yet. Might also be a buddy signing.

Bargs: The boy goes to hoop whenever he wants! Nice! But can still shoot the 3.

Edit: Soon to add Reggie. He will exceed expectations.
            http://www.raptorman.ca/
            raptorman@rogers.com
            Discounted Raptor Tickets
            *No Service Charges*

Comment

Good: Bosh's offensive rebounding
              Bad: Jack's overall play
              Good: Bargnani's fairly consistent jumper
              Bad: Bargnani's consistently bad rebounding.
              Good: Belinelli when he's making.
              Bad: Belinelli when he's missing.
              Good: Amir Johnson of late.
              Bad: Amir Johnson of early.
              Good: DeRozan's team play.
              Bad: DeRozan's lack of assertiveness and aggression.
              Good: Hedo Turkoglu taking more shots in the last few games.
              Bad: Antoine Wright taking shots any time.

Comment

AltRaps wrote: View Post
                He still has a ways to go to be a "surprise" to me, but a lot of that is probably coming from what I perceived to be a huge outpouring of anticipation after his signing.
                Yep. I'm not saying he's been awesome thus far. It's just that I thought he would be crap and he hasn't been.

Comment

Almost everyone has performed to expectations so far.

The only ones who have/haven't are Chris Bosh (highly positive) and Jarrett Jack (negative but only a temporary problem).
                  nbaroundtable

Comment

I am not surprised by Bosh performance. Although is an excellent one, I kind of expected Bosh to play at high level, is his contract year, he wants to prove he is at the same level with his buddies Wade, Carmelo, LeBron. The surprise so far is that the Raptors are ahead of schedule with the "gelling" process ... they start to look like a team that could beat Suns, which is pretty good. I hope they continue to play at high level. Special mention: DeRozan - I like this kid, he shows great signs

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                      The only ones who have/haven't are Chris Bosh (highly positive) and Jarrett Jack (negative but only a temporary problem).
                      Definitely an improved Jack so far tonight. Not taking ill-advised shots and moving the ball quite well. Not to mention played some tight defense on Lawson. If we see the same effort night in, night out as we have so far tonight in the 1st half from Jack, I'll be a happy camper.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                        Definitely an improved Jack so far tonight. Not taking ill-advised shots and moving the ball quite well. Not to mention played some tight defense on Lawson. If we see the same effort night in, night out as we have so far tonight in the 1st half from Jack, I'll be a happy camper.
                        I spoke too soon. The Jack of recent made an appearance in the 2nd half tonight. Sloppy and caused 4 turnovers.

I believe I cursed him.

Comment

You feel bad about your curse? This is what I said during the 2nd quarter:

"Might be jinxing this, but these last two Raps games have been seriously high quality. Would be glued to the TV even if I had no allegiance."

Damn it.

Comment

James wrote: View Post
                            You feel bad about your curse? This is what I said during the 2nd quarter:

"Might be jinxing this, but these last two Raps games have been seriously high quality. Would be glued to the TV even if I had no allegiance."

Damn it.
                            haha ... I feel your pain James. It sucks to be superstitious eh?

Comment

Wright's tunnel vision on offence surprised me a lot. (Bad).

Turk's invisibility during long stretches of games also surprising. (Bad).

The Raps' ability to score without any discernible 'plays' except putting ball-handlers on the floor (mixed blessing, as it means Triano feels Jack at the 2 is a good thing).

Bosh has moved his game in about 4 feet. (Good).

Comment

Working...
                              X