Clips' Announcers on Bosh as a Franchise Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clips' Announcers on Bosh as a Franchise Player

In the beginning of tonight's game, one clipper announcer asked the other "Is Chris Bosh a franchise player?" The other announcer replied "No. He's not, but he will be PAID like one. He's just not in that Tier 1 group like Kobe, LeBron, Wade. He's not far; he's just about three quarters of a step, not a FULL step below them. But with the new rules of the CBA, he will probably get paid like a franchise player."

Fast forward to near the end of the game with the Raptors in total control, and Bosh finishing with 34 points and 11 rebounds, the Clips' announcer elaborates further on Bosh, saying "Well, he's a power forward. I mean really, how many power forwards can you say have been franchise players in the last ten years. There's Karl Malone, and Tim Duncan. Nowitzki qualifies too, but he's not really a power player. Almost all the franchise players are wing players and have the luxury of having the ball in their hands all the time."
    http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Cannot disagree.

Comment

I laughed when the Clip's announcers said this about Jay Triano:

"Jay Triano does not look like an NBA basketball coach but more like a high school science teacher"

Comment

I think Bosh is at least a step behind James and Kobe if I am correct in thinking that half the game takes place on defense.

Comment

Yup..correct.. his presence is not felt on the defensive end, gotta move the feet and be active rather than just standing with the arms straight up on D. Smaller guys are always taking it straight to him.
          I kinda noticed tonight that on drives to the hoop he doesnt really jump up, he kind jumps more horizontally than vertically, maybe to try to draw fouls, but I'd like to see him jump straight up with the ball up high ala Stoudamire and try to dunk it everytime...he seems to get his shot blocked alot on drives to the hoop.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I think Bosh is at least a step behind James and Kobe if I am correct in thinking that half the game takes place on defense.
            HAHA that comment basically sums it up right there !!
            "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

If Bosh is not a franchise player because he's not on the same level as Kobe, LeBron and Wade, then exactly how many franchise players are there in the league? Three, it seems. That kind of sucks for 27 teams in the league.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Kevin Garnett was a franchise PF too.

Comment

Franchise players are difficult to define, but I think I can go with "the best and most representative player on the team that you can build your team around for title contention in the upcoming years".

With that in mind - do all teams have franchise players? I wouldn't say so, but to say that there are only 3 franchise players in the league would be foolish. Here's a compilation of who I think would be "franchise players" (or "franchise combos") at the moment for each team and that are in playoff contention (and this is just my opinion only - apologies for leaving anyone out or offending people)

Tier 1- LeBron James
                  - Kobe Bryant
                  - Dwyane Wade
                  - Steve Nash
                  - Dwight Howard
                  - Kevin Durant
                  - Tim Duncan
                  - Dirk Nowitzki
                  - Chris Paul (even though not in playoffs, if he was healthy they would be probably)

Tier 2
                  - Derrick Rose
                  - Deron Williams (could add Boozer here)
                  - Brandon Roy
                  Tier 2 (combos)
                  - Joe Johnson / Josh Smith
                  - Rudy Gay / OJ Mayo??
                  - Stephen Jackson / Gerald Wallace
                  - Andrew Bogut / Brandon Jennings?
                  - Paul Pierce / KG
                  Tier outside of playoff contention + any teams missed out
                  - Danny Granger
                  - Iguodala? (<- think he's similar to Bosh in that he's not a no.1 guy)
                  - Kevin Martin
                  - Tyreke Evans
                  - Steph Curry / Monta Ball Hog Ellis
                  - Jefferson / Love?
                  - Gordon / Kaman / Griffin?
                  - Detroit would be.... never mind...
                  - Agent Gunzero and Andray Blatche?
                  - FA 2010 and David Lee?
                  - Mikhail Porky and another FA 2010?

The trouble is, is bosh with Tier 1 or Tier 2? I'd say somewhere in between

Comment

I think the undefinable quality that makes a FRANCHISE PLAYER is leadership.

Bosh doesn't have it quite yet. It's not about his ppg or his salary, it's about taking control of his team, making it truly HIS team, undeniably, and then going out and doing something exciting, like winning a playoff series.

Until that happens, he's going to be considered less than a LeBron or a DWade or a Kobe.

He has the skills; I don't think that can really be disputed. He's just gotta do more without the ball.

Scott.

PS: About Triano not looking like a "NBA coach"... that's partially because he's an assistant at best. But- Stan Van Gundy looks NOTHING like Doc Rivers or Jerry Sloan... so what's the point in even saying that?
                    Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

ScottBaird wrote: View Post
                      PS: About Triano not looking like a "NBA coach"... that's partially because he's an assistant at best. But- Stan Van Gundy looks NOTHING like Doc Rivers or Jerry Sloan... so what's the point in even saying that?
                      True. What does an NBA coach ACTUALLY look like? Does he have to look pissed off all the time? Old, white male?

Maybe the key is a moustache....Haven't all the great coaches of all-time sported a mo??
                      Someone take away Jay's razor for a couple of days and see what happens.

Comment

Beaverboi wrote: View Post
                        Maybe the key is a moustache....Haven't all the great coaches of all-time sported a mo??
                        The stash worked for Phil at times. I believe just like the hook shoot, somebody needs to bring the stash back. The NBA needs both.
                        Last edited by Apollo; Thu Apr 1, 2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

It's hard to disagree with the original assessment. In the second quote the announcer appears to be back-tracking, but yeah, the general gist of what he's saying is right. I don't think anyone disagrees that Bosh being is not in the same tier as Lebron.

Comment

Its really funny how no one even mentioned Melo anywhere....
                            Take out the salami and cheese MAMA, this ball gameeeeee is OVERRRR!

Comment

Rapman, I like you sig! Jose looks like he's about to pull some Russell Crowe Gladiator stuff on KG!

Comment

Working...
                              X