Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #1 - Atlanta Hawks 102 - Toronto Raptors 109 (F)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yep, use your hands to land. I still have no idea how his wrist didn't break when he landed.

Comment

• These stats are an extreme positive to me.

Atlanta shot 50% FG and 59% from 3 compared to 41% FG and 31% from 3 for us.

Why did we win the game? We did an amazing job of limiting our turnovers (9 to their 17) and attacked the rim aggressively leading to TWENTY-SEVEN made free throws compared to just 9 for them.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post

Derozan, despite so many people slagging his shot selection, looked awesome. He's gonna continue to have issues learning how to be a star, or the "main guy", but he will learn. Its difficult to get comfortable with timing, decision making and rhythm, but I think he's on track. what he DID do.... he showed to me at least, finally, what he can do with his body on both sides of the floor.... dude is an athlete, and when he uses it aggressively, wow, he is a nice player. I give him 30 games to get the offence figured.... I think we will see his true value there.
        To me, I thought Demar was mostly not very good. I thought the C+ William Lou gave him on the main page was about right.

But I still think it was an extremely positive game for him in the big picture. A game where he can't get good looks and starts forcing shots, plus not getting any calls should be an absolute dumpster fire of a game for DeRozan. This wasn't an absolute dumpster fire of a game. This was mediocre. That's a good thing. Because Demar is not going to struggle offensively like this very often. He's going to get more calls, he's going to be defended less tightly. And if he can do all the off-the-ball things he did in this game, it is going to be a fantastic season for him.
        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• On the rotations.

I like them.

Your opinion will come from how you see your bench. If you think the Raptors are Super deep, You might wanna consider the "Hockey changes". If you think they aren't deep, then yes, subbing in spots might be how you prefer to get them minutes.

I am of the former opinion. My way of looking at it is this, Toronto has a very deep bench, so much so many of their piners might easily start on this squad. Knowing this as a coach, I might be tempted, and Casey seems to be, to treat them like starters. Give them a scenario where thy can spend ,multiple minutes with familiar players, let them play these minutes meaningfully so they improve, they get to know their mates just as the starters are allowed to get to know theirs.

It might not be obvious, but this will pay huge dividends as the season plods along. As we know, every win is important, and a tight, chemically efficient second unit will win you games on nights the starters are flat. There will be injuries, and overlap on subbing patterns, enough time to acquaint the second unit guy with the first, but primarily if you have a really strong second unit, and you can let them gel, and then provide close to the same effectiveness as the first.... what a nightmare for the opposition.

Everyone plays.
          Starters play a little less, but thats not a bad thing over 82 games.
          Bench is allowed to create and maintain consistent chemistry.
          Raptors can sustain 48 mins of pressure.

I like it.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
            To me, I thought Demar was mostly not very good. I thought the C+ William Lou gave him on the main page was about right.

But I still think it was an extremely positive game for him in the big picture. A game where he can't get good looks and starts forcing shots, plus not getting any calls should be an absolute dumpster fire of a game for DeRozan. This wasn't an absolute dumpster fire of a game. This was mediocre. That's a good thing. Because Demar is not going to struggle offensively like this very often. He's going to get more calls, he's going to be defended less tightly. And if he can do all the off-the-ball things he did in this game, it is going to be a fantastic season for him.
            I'm sorry man. But 3-4 bad shots attached to 15 points, 11 rebs, 6 steals is not mediocre. 3 of his TO's were blown calls.

I know what you're saying, and I don't disagree completely, but I think you're under valuing his efforts. Add to his stat line he got to the line, al lot.... including in crucial moments down the stretch. These are intangible efforts that cannot be ignored.

So I say upgrade your assesement from mediocre c+ to good B+ and we have a deal hahahaha

he makes those shots..... A
            he doesn't take 3-4 of them A++

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
              If you're not gonna watch the game, at least look at the play by play afterwards before shitting on the coaching staff.

- Jonas picked up 2 fouls within 10 seconds of each other at about the 6:30 minute mark of the 1st quarter (subbed off for Psycho T)
              - Came back in for Hansbrough at the 9:30 minute mark of the 2nd quarter
              - Then literally 3 minutes later at the 6 minute mark of the 2nd, he picks up another foul and has to be subbed off

That's already 14 minutes of the 48 unavailable for him to play. He played about the first half of the 3rd quarter before being taken off (I suppose to keep him fresh for the 4th). He then played 8 of the 12 minutes in the 4th quarter.
              I actually watched the game but thanks dude!

The issue is Casey matching up to Atlanta versus making them match him. JV was beasting. Feed the beast. The fact he had so much rest in the 1st half due to fouls, then half the 3rd Q to rest, let him play the 4th. He was given the hook because he made 2 stupid mistakes (bad pass, then horrible help D on Teague's layup). Even Jack said something to effect, "JV looked over at DC." What does that tell you about JV? He knows when he messes up Casey is pissed and going to yank him. He is in his 3rd year now - start treating him with the respect he has earned.
              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Oct 30, 2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                Why so negative? I think Atlanta's a really good team, and the Raptors were crushing them until they turned down the intensity in the middle of the 4th.
                I don't think I was being overtly negative.. I just hated seeing a big lead get blown away. They won but it was close.. they still ended up giving up more than 100 points. The 4th quarter is when games really matter.. and they lost that quarter. That's not a good sign.

Comment

• DD and Lowry still played 35 and 34 minutes respectively. The added depth we have apparently didn't help much in that regards. Maybe it gets better as the season goes along but that's something that the coaches should keep an eye on. Especially with Lowry.

GV had a good game.. he should have played more then 17 minutes.

I'm nitpicking.. just don't want to lose man games due to injury because our starters are playing too much.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

The issue is Casey matching up to Atlanta versus making them match him. JV was beasting. Feed the beast. The fact he had so much rest in the 1st half due to fouls, then half the 3rd Q to rest, let him play the 4th. He was given the hook because he made 2 stupid mistakes (bad pass, then horrible help D on Teague's layup). Even Jack said something to effect, "JV looked over at DC." What does that tell you about JV? He knows when he messes up Casey is pissed and going to yank him. He is in his 3rd year now - start treating him with the respect he has earned.
                    Bold 1: It tells me Jonas manned up to his coach with acknowledgement of his mistakes, not that he's acting like a child whose going to get beaten by a bully. "Start treating (both of them) with the respect (they have) earned".

Bold 2: Ever see Pop get right up into even Duncan's face and scream at him for 15 seconds, in front of a packed arena, and national TV? Would you call that respect that TD has earned? Is that the respect JV has earned? Should Casey have called a timeout and ran out to mid court and start ripping into JV, out of respect?

*smh at the coaching "expertise" found in these forums*

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
                      If you're not gonna watch the game, at least look at the play by play afterwards before shitting on the coaching staff.
                      chico wrote: View Post
                      mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Gotta love the nubies flexing their muscles, lol.

"Don't you know anything about basketball, Matt?"

Comment

• I work out
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• chico wrote: View Post
                          Bold 1: It tells me Jonas manned up to his coach with acknowledgement of his mistakes, not that he's acting like a child whose going to get beaten by a bully. "Start treating (both of them) with the respect (they have) earned".

Bold 2: Ever see Pop get right up into even Duncan's face and scream at him for 15 seconds, in front of a packed arena, and national TV? Would you call that respect that TD has earned? Is that the respect JV has earned? Should Casey have called a timeout and ran out to mid court and start ripping into JV, out of respect?

As usual - lol

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Gotta love the nubies flexing their muscles, lol.

"Don't you know anything about basketball, Matt?"
                            Not everyone is a nubie

Comment

As usual - lol
                              That's deep, and expected, as a response to a reply you asked the question to. Big boy.

Comment

As usual - lol
                                My favorite is that Pop gets referenced because he would "scream" at even Duncan. Pop also wouldn't go away from a tactic/player that the other team is completely failing to adjust to.

Comment

Working...
                                X