Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First things first, I do not want to see MC Happy leave this league. You are an integral part to all of this and have been for a long time. I may not always voice my opinion on certain matters, but that's mainly because I don't understand the points to the fullest. You guys know wayyyyyyyy more about the intricacies needed for a league of this magnitude, so I leave it up to you all and vote in the end or say my lil piece.

I do wish more owners weighed in on matters that are put to the table, but I guess it's pretty hard to find 16 managers that give enough of a fuck, even on a board of thousands of Raps fans.

I do agree with mcHAPPY that all matters should be put up for vote with the board of owners. If a proposal worth voting on is put up for discussion, 7 days should suffice for an owner to have their say on the matter before it is put to rest. If more than half the league does not respond, commish's can earn their salary and make the decision based upon what the responding owners have spoken upon or they can go their own way, with 2 out of 3 prevailing.

No offense to Axel, but I also think that anyone being put up for a Commissioners seat should be voted upon going forward. I'm fine with Axel taking a seat in one of those chairs because I know he's passionate about this league and seems to have a fair take on all matters involved.

K... now back to Stat Tracker... wait... what?... It hasn't even been a week and I miss checking stats! NBA ain't the same but I guess that's why I enjoy playoff ball so much... cause I get to watch it!!

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
      First things first, I do not want to see MC Happy leave this league. You are an integral part to all of this and have been for a long time. I may not always voice my opinion on certain matters, but that's mainly because I don't understand the points to the fullest. You guys know wayyyyyyyy more about the intricacies needed for a league of this magnitude, so I leave it up to you all and vote in the end or say my lil piece.

I do wish more owners weighed in on matters that are put to the table, but I guess it's pretty hard to find 16 managers that give enough of a fuck, even on a board of thousands of Raps fans.

I do agree with mcHAPPY that all matters should be put up for vote with the board of owners. If a proposal worth voting on is put up for discussion, 7 days should suffice for an owner to have their say on the matter before it is put to rest. If more than half the league does not respond, commish's can earn their salary and make the decision based upon what the responding owners have spoken upon or they can go their own way, with 2 out of 3 prevailing.

No offense to Axel, but I also think that anyone being put up for a Commissioners seat should be voted upon going forward. I'm fine with Axel taking a seat in one of those chairs because I know he's passionate about this league and seems to have a fair take on all matters involved.

K... now back to Stat Tracker... wait... what?... It hasn't even been a week and I miss checking stats! NBA ain't the same but I guess that's why I enjoy playoff ball so much... cause I get to watch it!!
      I'm sorry dude.

I can't take anything you say seriously with that avatar.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I'm sorry dude.

Shuddup! I rode this whole season with Sauce and Bennett, as well as Embiid on the bench. Add in those stiffs Hawes and Igoudala and i have no idea how I was good enough to make the finals. But my final stats were very good in 5 cats.. So nnneeeeehhhhh *middle finger*

Comment

• I may not weigh in on ALL the issues discussed in this league especially when they trail off into 3 page discussions, but I do put a lot of time into this league (my team) and put forth opinions when I have a clear enough knowledge on how a proposed rule will change the league.

I trust the commissioners of this league but I wouldn't be against mchappy's idea to happen where issues could be put to a vote. I can also see how difficult it is to do votes midseason when not all the managers check in on the forums, but for the most part the managers are all pretty active even on the forums.

We're learning more and more about all the intricacies that can happen within our rule system as the league grows and I enjoy how well we're refining this league. all hail dynasty league
          Last edited by koncept; Thu Apr 9, 2015, 11:55 PM.
          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• lost footage of skywalkers parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ciMXvSE8U
            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
              I think a system of:

1) The idea is floated by a member.
              2) The idea is debated in the thread.
              3) The commissioners decide whether the issue is worth voting on, or rejecting out of hand (based on said debate or lack thereof).
              4) If needed, the issue is put to a vote.

... Is just fine. In general, if you are commissioner you are expected to act in the interest of the league and not let personal stakes drive your decisions. And if you don't trust the commissioners in the league you are in, the experience will probably not be all that pleasant anyway, as every transaction could be suspect.

Ultimately, if the commissioners make a change that a fair number of people strongly disagree with, I imagine people would speak up, and a solution would be found (likely an after-the-fact vote). And for all the votes we had this season, never once did
              I see more than two or three posters really getting into a debate over the issues.
              This basically exactly reflects my opinion, my desired "hiring" qualities, and how I envision things continuing with regards to the votes. As has been evidenced in the past, I'm all for putting things up for a vote, but I don't believe every change floated should be voted on - I think that decision should ultimately come down to the commissioner and co-commissioners.

Not to mention, as I said earlier, after 3 years we've basically seen it all, and should not be expecting many more drastic changes.
              Last edited by Joey; Thu Apr 9, 2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

First things first, I do not want to see MC Happy leave this league. You are an integral part to all of this and have been for a long time. I may not always voice my opinion on certain matters, but that's mainly because I don't understand the points to the fullest. You guys know wayyyyyyyy more about the intricacies needed for a league of this magnitude, so I leave it up to you all and vote in the end or say my lil piece.
                +1

i believe that issues with rules and such should be dealt with in the off-season by everyone and during the season ruled on by commissioners.

three co-commissioners are more than enough to make changes etc. if during the league year anyone has an idea send a pm to any of the three, they like it or don't. anyway i am sure they give you an answer and if you are that passionate about something, bringing it up when nothing else is going on seems fair to me.

for me, i don't care. tell me the rules and i will play by them. ask me my opinion and i will give it, otherwise i am fine doing nothing

Comment

• Anyone with a top 4 pick that might want to trade for an established player like Brook Lopez, Tyreke Evans or Anthony Morrow so that you can sign said player... shout me a hollar, dunn!

Comment

• Stephen Curry broke his own record for 3-pointers in a season during a 116-105 victory over the Blazers on Thursday, scoring 45 points with two rebounds, 10 assists and eight 3-pointers on 17-of-23 from the field.
                    I would really like next year to begin now.... well, last night.

Comment

• Raptors Republic...where

One super post to hit on multiple thoughts.

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      My concern with Axel's suggestion is there are 16 owners. What might not be a concern for 3 owners could be a concern for multiple other owners.
                      I think we are all reasonable-enough adults to be able to separate what is "best for the league" vs "best for me."

Also - let the record show that I stated all of this long before I was offered the seat.

Joey wrote: View Post
                      I think we would certainly solicit opinions beforehand as well, and base ours off of that. I can't see us discussing something as commissioners unless it is posed to the league with legitimate backing. But if even then we cannot decide, then we would look for a vote or something.
                      This is definitely something that will happen. If people have opinions or thoughts, they should be shared. They will definitely be weighted appropriately.

DanH wrote: View Post
                      I think a system of:

1) The idea is floated by a member.
                      2) The idea is debated in the thread.
                      3) The commissioners decide whether the issue is worth voting on, or rejecting out of hand (based on said debate or lack thereof).
                      4) If needed, the issue is put to a vote.

... Is just fine. In general, if you are commissioner you are expected to act in the interest of the league and not let personal stakes drive your decisions. And if you don't trust the commissioners in the league you are in, the experience will probably not be all that pleasant anyway, as every transaction could be suspect.

Ultimately, if the commissioners make a change that a fair number of people strongly disagree with, I imagine people would speak up, and a solution would be found (likely an after-the-fact vote). And for all the votes we had this season, never once did I see more than two or three posters really getting into a debate over the issues.
                      This is a nice summary. In my view, #4 would be split into a) & b) - a) being voted by the league office, b) being voted by all. Some things don't need the full vote, some do.

The one thing people need to try and remember is that you can't push an issue on people. If no one else is offering much of an opinion or support, then it needs to be dropped for the time being. Changes can be made at various points in the calendar, so sometimes it's just a timing issue. If the idea has merit, it won't be forgotten.

Mack North wrote: View Post
                      #1 I do wish more owners weighed in on matters that are put to the table, but I guess it's pretty hard to find 16 managers that give enough of a fuck, even on a board of thousands of Raps fans.

I do agree with mcHAPPY that all matters should be put up for vote with the board of owners. #2 If a proposal worth voting on is put up for discussion, 7 days should suffice for an owner to have their say on the matter before it is put to rest. If more than half the league does not respond, commish's can earn their salary and make the decision based upon what the responding owners have spoken upon or they can go their own way, with 2 out of 3 prevailing.

Bold #1 - I think we are all hoping for more involvement by all owners. I do believe that having owners who don't visit the forum (or at least this thread) regularly is part of that problem. I think we have made a bit of headway this year, but there is still room for improvement. People aren't always aware of what is going on (ideas being debated, the cap sheets moving to a thread, etc), and that is completely due to their lack of activity on RR.

Bold #2 - I think the idea of what is "worth voting on" is ultimately up to the league office. Leaving it up to the masses to weigh in is a challenge due to the above.

As for the seat in the league office, it was voted on, by the existing league office members.

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      i believe that issues with rules and such should be dealt with in the off-season by everyone and during the season ruled on by commissioners.

three co-commissioners are more than enough to make changes etc. if during the league year anyone has an idea send a pm to any of the three, they like it or don't. anyway i am sure they give you an answer and if you are that passionate about something, bringing it up when nothing else is going on seems fair to me.

for me, i don't care. tell me the rules and i will play by them. ask me my opinion and i will give it, otherwise i am fine doing nothing
                      This seems like a reasonable compromise.

~~

At the end, this league was created with specific parameters in mind to try and best emulate the NBA experience. So while certain ideas are going to be interesting, they may not fully embody that spirit. In this light, issues in the NBA are solved by both the League Office led by Adam Silver and the individual team Owners. Some issues fall 100% to Silver to decide and the owners abide by that. Some issues, owners get to vote on. This is how I see Dynasty working.

So with that, I just want to thank Joey and Tucas for trusting me with this position. Mack, I'm sure you'll come around

Finally, just needed to throw out this post from the beginning of the year, happier times full of hope for us all.

tucas wrote: View Post
                      I'll win. I finished 3rd last year and added some pieces while subtracting nobodies. I should just start the season 4 thread now with a post congratulating myself on my undefeated year.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I'm sorry dude.

Sauce Castillo had a bigger impact than Bruno this year. Embrace the awesomeness of Sauce Castillo (pretty sure his trade value just went up based on that nickname alone).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          Sauce Castillo had a bigger impact than Bruno this year. Embrace the awesomeness of Sauce Castillo (pretty sure his trade value just went up based on that nickname alone).
                          Bruno will have a nickname ... just you wait. Haha

Comment

Anyone with a top 4 pick that might want to trade for an established player like Brook Lopez, Tyreke Evans or Anthony Morrow so that you can sign said player... shout me a hollar, dunn!
                            Well technically you would need to sign said player .. and then trade them. Can't trade players that are at 0 unless you resign them first.

Comment

• Just want to point out we have 2 years of precedent and a number of issues resolved with decisions made as a collective league using the way that I have suggested. I feel confident in saying things have worked out for the best using that process with the majority of changes I have supported being voted down - lol.

The problem has always been the debate leading up to the decision because there has been no process in place to make a final decision. That what this is about, in my opinion; how to conclude possible changes or disagreements in a consistent and fair manner.

So quite simply, how are decisions made on behalf of the league?

No commissioners here were voted on so you have two options:
                              1) colonial style governance (commissioner handpicks representatives with final authority on all)
                              2) democracy (league decides)

Personally, I vote #2. The rationale that people don't visit here therefore they shouldn't have input is not accurate or fair. Last summer on the waiver wire change, as an example, 13 owners voted. With the other 3:
                              1) ceez showed up after the 9th vote in favour was cast so it was irrelevant;
                              2) Ballswin has been notorious for going missing over the summer and has never used his draft pick.
                              3) KIR has since been replaced with a very active owner in Miek, so that speaks volumes.

I also personally disagree with the notion that a collective body is incapable of making a decision in its best interests. We've shown that is already false.

Comment

Just want to point out we have 2 years of precedent and a number of issues resolved with decisions made as a collective league using the way that I have suggested. I feel confident in saying things have worked out for the best using that process with the majority of changes I have supported being voted down - lol.

The problem has always been the debate leading up to the decision because there has been no process in place to make a final decision. That what this is about, in my opinion; how to conclude possible changes or disagreements in a consistent and fair manner.

So quite simply, how are decisions made on behalf of the league?

No commissioners here were voted on so you have two options:
                                1) colonial style governance (commissioner handpicks representatives with final authority on all)
                                2) democracy (league decides)

Personally, I vote #2. The rationale that people don't visit here therefore they shouldn't have input is not accurate or fair. Last summer on the waiver wire change, as an example, 13 owners voted. With the other 3:
                                1) ceez showed up after the 9th vote in favour was cast so it was irrelevant;
                                2) Ballswin has been notorious for going missing over the summer and has never used his draft pick.
                                3) KIR has since been replaced with a very active owner in Miek, so that speaks volumes.

I also personally disagree with the notion that a collective body is incapable of making a decision in its best interests. We've shown that is already false.
                                My concern over the collective is that it is much easier to lose sight of the original intent of the league and someone may not take any potential change with the seriousness of consideration that is warranted. Any time someone is told to vote for a) or b), they will choose one, but that doesn't mean they gave it much consideration.

Comment

Working...
                                X