Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wasn't looking for sympathy, just saying it makes it easier for future multiple pick holders. Even if we start this next season im still in favour because it more resembles real NBA rookie draft than our current situation. That's just my opinion on the matter.
    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• koncept wrote: View Post
      Like in the nba....Live drafting with multiple picks makes the process a bit easier. You can see how it may be difficult if you own 4-5 picks to autorank and possibly end up with 5 SGs
      And there's no disputing this reasoning, which is really why I believe everyone is in favour of coming up with something more interactive, where we can allow for more real-time decisions. I'm 100% in favour of this, and love the concept.

The difficulty, is coming up with something that works. Logistically.
      If the goal is to come up with something more closely resembling the NBA, then a whole day to make your pick is about as non-NBA as our current system.

Assuming good participation, I think 10-15 minutes per pick is perfectly reasonable, and would make for a great afternoon. If we had some sort of Chat system like Yahoo affords us, it would be even better, but alas, we will work with what we have.

As Axel had said, I think everyone should still submit their draft lists. That way, if someone misses the allotted deadline (maybe with a 1-minute buffer or something), or is absent from the draft, we have an easy solution.

People would need to constantly be refreshing their browsers for breaking news and picks, which could be a pain, but really that's our only option. A Commissioner would be present to make each pick official, put the next team on the clock, and perhaps give out pestering "2-minutes remaining" warnings, or something like some sort of sinister self-destruct countdown.

This is how I envision it being possible, while still being engaging, time efficient, interactive etc. etc.
      Last edited by Joey; Tue Jul 14, 2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• I prefer a shorter time between picks. Also, a draft closer to the FA auction might give us a better chance of not loosing people to the summer fun.

I'm in.

Just let me know when u want me to start!

Comment

• Could we use some type of online web conferencing app, I know for school we use BlackBoard collaborate,and if I am in my 40s and can figure it out I am sure that everyone can.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            And there's no disputing this reasoning, which is really why I believe everyone is in favour of coming up with something more interactive, where we can allow for more real-time decisions. I'm 100% in favour of this, and love the concept.

The difficulty, is coming up with something that works. Logistically.
            If the goal is to come up with something more closely resembling the NBA, then a whole day to make your pick is about as non-NBA as our current system.

Assuming good participation, I think 10-15 minutes per pick is perfectly reasonable, and would make for a great afternoon. If we had some sort of Chat system like Yahoo affords us, it would be even better, but alas, we will work with what we have.

As Axel had said, I think everyone should still submit their draft lists. That way, if someone misses the allotted deadline (maybe with a 1-minute buffer or something), or is absent from the draft, we have an easy solution.

People would need to constantly be refreshing their browsers for breaking news and picks, which could be a pain, but really that's our only option. A Commissioner would be present to make each pick official, put the next team on the clock, and perhaps give out pestering "2-minutes remaining" warnings, or something like some sort of sinister self-destruct countdown.

This is how I envision it being possible, while still being engaging, time efficient, interactive etc. etc.
            5 minute intervals would make for an hour and 20 minutes.

For those who don't have the time to sit and click refresh, they could show up at their time.
            For those who can't show up s&t their time, they can send their list to a commish.

For those following along live, if your turn comes up early because say the people ahead didn't use full 5 mins, you can post your pick assuming, again, it is your turn.

Just threw 5 mins out there....could be longer of course.

Continual refreshing would also allow for quick private message notifications to be utilized for the trade addicts among us.

Comment

• Just to clarify a few snag points -

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              5 minute intervals would make for an hour and 20 minutes.

For those who don't have the time to sit and click refresh, they could show up at their time.
              For those who can't show up s&t their time, they can send their list to a commish.
              Well I don't think we would have 'assigned' times, or a specific time for each person to make their selection. I think people would have to show up for the start, and follow along with who has picked, and who is off the board, and will have their turn it called when it comes. If people want to show up late, thats fine, but they will have to get themselves up to speed in terms of who has been taken and stuff.

And again, I think everyone should still send their Draft Lists, regardless of attendance. This will allow us quick recourse if someone misses their time allottment as well.

mcHAPPY wrote:
              For those following along live, if your turn comes up early because say the people ahead didn't use full 5 mins, you can post your pick assuming, again, it is your turn.
              A Commissioner will manage the selection order, and notify people once it is their turn. No assuming required really.
              Last edited by Joey; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                Just to clarify a few snag points -

Well I don't think we would have 'assigned' times, or a specific time for each person to make their selection. I think people would have to show up for the start, and follow along with who has picked, and who is off the board, and will have their turn it called when it comes. If people want to show up late, thats fine, but they will have to get themselves up to speed in terms of who has been taken and stuff.

And again, I think everyone should still send their Draft Lists, regardless of attendance. This will allow us quick recourse if someone misses their time allottment as well.

A Commissioner will manage the selection order, and notify people once it is their turn. No assuming required really.
                Do it any way you want.

I thought input and discussion was welcomed.....obviously not by all.

I would recommend Axel or tucas be the commishes to receive lists and organize draft. They don't have any picks.

*EDIT*

Having people show up from start is not necessary. Picks would be made in the thread. With 5 minutes, it would be easy to see who was available who wasn't.

As for Commissioner managing the selection order and notifying of turn, that is micro managing. Really not needed with set 5 minute intervals. I suspect most will be in attendance, live anyways. It could realistically be over in as little as 30 minutes.
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Do it any way you want.

I thought input and discussion was welcomed.....obviously not by all.
                  Sorry? Just because I responded to you, I'm now no longer encouraging input and discussion?

mcHAPPY wrote:
                  I would recommend Axel or tucas be the commishes to receive lists and organize draft. They don't have any picks.
                  Has already been discussed with Axel, and yes, he will managing the Draft. Assuming this even happens for this year.

mcHAPPY wrote:
                  Having people show up from start is not necessary.
                  I already acknowledged people wouldn't have to show up from the start, but it would be a lot easier for them to follow along and not miss their turn.

mcHAPPY wrote:
                  As for Commissioner managing the selection order and notifying of turn, that is micro managing. Really not needed with set 5 minute intervals. I suspect most will be in attendance, live anyways. It could realistically be over in as little as 30 minutes.
                  I don't think its Micro-managing at all ... I think its just being well organized and maintaining order. Is Adam Silver micro-managing when he reads out the Pick instead of allowing teams to make their own picks when they assume its their turn?
                  Last edited by Joey; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• If you don't realize the bitchiness in your reply when I was throwing out suggestions as part of an ongoing discussion with just about everyone involved, then so be it. I don't recall anyone else getting a point by point tear down to their ideas or suggestions.

In the meantime, I will just wait to see how it all unfolds as obviously my input is not desired or appreciated and be ready with my picks.

Comment

If you don't realize the bitchiness in your reply when I was throwing out suggestions as part of an ongoing discussion with just about everyone involved, then so be it. I don't recall anyone else getting a point by point tear down to their ideas or suggestions.

In the meantime, I will just wait to see how it all unfolds as obviously my input is not desired or appreciated and be ready with my picks.
                      Matt, you want to have input and discussion, yet get annoyed when others participate in said discussion if their views don't align with yours. Joey has every right to share input as both a team owner and the commissioner. So do I.

So stop drawing lines in the sand and making everything a battle. You've exercised your right to respond to people's posts; don't infringe on anyone else doing so.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Matt, you want to have input and discussion, yet get annoyed when others participate in said discussion if their views don't align with yours. Joey has every right to share input as both a team owner and the commissioner. So do I.

So stop drawing lines in the sand and making everything a battle. You've exercised your right to respond to people's posts; don't infringe on anyone else doing so.

No, I get annoyed when I make input, that at least one other agreed with, and it is taken apart point by point when no one else had their ideas responded to in such a definitive, dismissive manner.

But whatever.

Comment

No, I get annoyed when I make input, that at least one other agreed with, and it is taken apart point by point when no one else had their ideas responded to in such a definitive, dismissive manner.

But whatever.
                          There have been about 50 posts in this thread since this topic came up. You posted about 20% of the posts. Your opinions are well known and there is a greater than 20% chance that any counter post would be to a mcHappy post.

You aren't being single out. It's just the way it is. Stop crying foul when none exists.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• One thing to consider going into next years draft(if we go interactive) is that we should probably push it back a week. This years draft falls on August 1, when I think most of the country has a long weekend if I'm not mistaken. Obviously that didn't matter much when originally planning this draft, but it could throw a bump into someones schedule that wants to be at the draft but has other commitments.

Anyways, I'm fine with whatever way the league decides to go. The quicker the whole draft goes though, the better. I don't think anyone wants to be refreshing for more than say an hour, two tops. I don't like the idea of the draft being spread out with 1 pick daily, there's just really no need for it to take that long.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              There have been about 50 posts in this thread since this topic came up. You posted about 20% of the posts. Your opinions are well known and there is a greater than 20% chance that any counter post would be to a mcHappy post.

You aren't being single out. It's just the way it is. Stop crying foul when none exists.
                              My opinions have been in a constant state of fluctuation on the topic as others have weighed in.

I'm not married to any one idea. The idea of assigned 5 minute intervals solved a couple of issues people had namely not taking too long (unless you think a player could get injured or picked up for DUI in 1 hour and 20 minutes leading to unfair advantage - lol) and not having to be present for full proceedings. That seems much more organized and procedural than what I've seen countered. With having the process live and interactive, which everyone who has responded has endorsed, commishes won't be announcing picks anyways - owners will. Commish will be needed to determine no shows/forfeited picks, announcing presubmitted picks, and when next owner can announce.

But if that isn't a good way and the guy picking 14th has to sit around possibly up to 70 minutes versus showing up at a set time for 2 minutes on a Saturday morning/afternoon in August, wtf do I know?

I just find it bewildering the idea was so definitively dismissed when I thought we were discussing.

I await the next edict, masters. Hahaha

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                                One thing to consider going into next years draft(if we go interactive) is that we should probably push it back a week. This years draft falls on August 1, when I think most of the country has a long weekend if I'm not mistaken. Obviously that didn't matter much when originally planning this draft, but it could throw a bump into someones schedule that wants to be at the draft but has other commitments.

Anyways, I'm fine with whatever way the league decides to go. The quicker the whole draft goes though, the better. I don't think anyone wants to be refreshing for more than say an hour, two tops. I don't like the idea of the draft being spread out with 1 pick daily, there's just really no need for it to take that long.
                                I think the holiday part is very true. Next year seems much more logical when we can plan accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                                X