Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a nay vote actually mean, for the Stepien rule, the 7 years or both?

Honestly, more I think about it, the Stepien rule isn't a great fit as it will decrease trading as someone who is a perennial contender (clearly not talking about Tucas) would have more value in moving the pick without restrictions.

I agree with the limiting how far in the future but not 100% sold on the Stepien rule.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Something such as this is easily added to cap sheet thread:

TEAM CREDIT DEBIT
      Axel
      ceez
      DanH
      drizz
      Fully
      James Ballswin
      jbml
      Joey
      koncept
      mcHAPPY
      Mack North
      Mikenstien
      skywalker
      The Coach
      tucas
      WJF
      Debits to the left. Credits to the right.

Comment

• This would be my position: make it as close to NBA as possible.

Stepien/tucas rule: can't trade your draft pick in successive seasons. However if you own another draft pick you can trade your own in successive seasons. For example, I trade for Joey's 2016 pick and own all my picks. I could trade my 2015, 2016, and 2017 pick because I will own a first round pick in 2016.

7 years: can't trade your pick beyond 7 years in future. That gives you up to 3 picks to trade.

Protections on picks: you can add protections to picks, however, you must adhere to Stepien Rule. ALSO, you must operate under the assumption the pick will be conveyed. For example, if your pick is top 3 protected in 2016, you can't trade your 2017 pick (unless you have another 2017 pick).

This link I posted earlier is a good breakdown on the pick trading rules in NBA:
        http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/12/t...ure-draft.html

We've seen a lot of changes from top to bottom in the league from year to year. I like the idea of trading future picks. Adds a whole new level of strategy and risk to the game.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jun 3, 2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
          So to clarify, I can trade my pick each year but I can't owe picks in consecutive seasons. So I can trade my pick each season for the next 7 seasons but I just can't owe them in consecutive years?
          As in the NBA, if you traded your 2014 pick, and the 2014 draft has passed, you can now trade your 2015 pick, as the rule only applies to Future picks. So yes?

tucas wrote: View Post
          So if I traded my pick for 2 years from now I could no longer trade my pick for next year. But if I were to trade my pick for next season I could trade my pick for 2 season from now in that season because I no longer owe from the season before?

I ask because I don't find much fantasy value in the 13-16 pick every season.
          To the bolded, precisely. Someone could not trade their 2016 and 2017 picks, before the 2016 draft. If 2016 was traded, once that draft is passed, you could then trade your 2017. Will be easy to track in that we just won't see any consecutive years on the picks. If we do, we know its illegal.

Axel wrote: View Post
          What does a nay vote actually mean, for the Stepien rule, the 7 years or both?
          Ya sorry, I'm just looking to get a feel for where everyone is on the whole thing before we vote. I did open it up very briefly, before realizing that would far too premature; my bad.

Axel wrote: View Post
          Honestly, more I think about it, the Stepien rule isn't a great fit as it will decrease trading as someone who is a perennial contender (clearly not talking about Tucas) would have more value in moving the pick without restrictions.

I agree with the limiting how far in the future but not 100% sold on the Stepien rule.
          Interesting points, but I don't see how it will decrease trading really .. I do see it perhaps diluting the value of Draft Picks, but they carry a bit too much weight right now anyway. Haha With everyone only having one Pick Asset per year to work with, more assets mean greater flexibility, which could mean more deals. Hard to say though.

If people would be more comfortable with a 5 year window, we could consider something like that, and thats the kind of feedback we would look for here.. unless someone is just flatout against the idea as a whole.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            As in the NBA, if you traded your 2014 pick, and the 2014 draft has passed, you can now trade your 2015 pick, as the rule only applies to Future picks. So yes?

To the bolded, precisely. Someone could not trade their 2016 and 2017 picks, before the 2016 draft. If 2016 was traded, once that draft is passed, you could then trade your 2017. Will be easy to track in that we just won't see any consecutive years on the picks. If we do, we know its illegal.

Ya sorry, I'm just looking to get a feel for where everyone is on the whole thing before we vote. I did open it up very briefly, before realizing that would far too premature; my bad.

Interesting points, but I don't see how it will decrease trading really .. I do see it perhaps diluting the value of Draft Picks, but they carry a bit too much weight right now anyway. Haha With everyone only having one Pick Asset per year to work with, more assets mean greater flexibility, which could mean more deals. Hard to say though.

If people would be more comfortable with a 5 year window, we could consider something like that, and thats the kind of feedback we would look for here.. unless someone is just flatout against the idea as a whole.
            Bold 1: If we were going by NBA rules, unless you own another team's draft pick in 2016 or 2017.

Bold 2: I think 5 is reasonable and would limit to 2 of your own picks, unless you own another team's.

Comment

• My thoughts on the Tucas Rule
              I don't believe picks should be able to be traded beyond 3 years.
              This league has existed for 3 years and we have around half of the original members. If you start trading picks 5 or 7 years in the future, we're taking away the attractiveness of available teams. Ideally you plan to keep the same 16 people each year but that's not realistic. It doesn't become fair for someone to inherit a team that's missing 2-3 draft picks in future years imo. I propose no more than 3 years in the future + no Stepien rule. But that's a biased point of view from someone who has never had a draft pick.

Comment

• tucas wrote: View Post
                My thoughts on the Tucas Rule
                I don't believe picks should be able to be traded beyond 3 years.
                This league has existed for 3 years and we have around half of the original members. If you start trading picks 5 or 7 years in the future, we're taking away the attractiveness of available teams. Ideally you plan to keep the same 16 people each year but that's not realistic. It doesn't become fair for someone to inherit a team that's missing 2-3 draft picks in future years imo. I propose no more than 3 years in the future + no Stepien rule. But that's a biased point of view from someone who has never had a draft pick.
                I was going actually to propose this, either 3 years limit and can trade all 3, or 5 years with no consecutive picks.

I was exactly thinking the same thing with regards to screwing over any future managers, but with the Stepian, they will still have half of their picks going forward, whereas with the 3 year/ no limit, theres 3 picks instead of 2, and you could be putting someone out of a pick for the next 3 years instead just 1 year.

Some things for people to think about.

I kinda like the simpleness of just "Only the next years pick is available for trading" as well, so I'm still all over the place of where I'm at, and will need some serious thinking.
                Last edited by Joey; Wed Jun 3, 2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• I agree with the shorter time frame for reasons mentioned.

3 years works for me but I would keep the a variation of the tucas, er, Stepien. For simplicity this would be my suggestion:

You must make 1 draft pick selection over a forward looking 3 draft period.

That allows you to:
                  a) trade consecutive picks,
                  b) trade all of your own picks IF you have at least 1 other team's pick in possession,
                  c) trade the pick on draft day if you really don't want it but you must make the selection.

I think that is a fair balance. Thoughts?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    I agree with the shorter time frame for reasons mentioned.

3 years works for me but I would keep the a variation of the tucas, er, Stepien. For simplicity this would be my suggestion:

That allows you to:
                    a) trade consecutive picks,
                    b) trade all of your own picks IF you have at least 1 other team's pick in possession,
                    c) trade the pick on draft day if you really don't want it but you must make the selection.

I think that is a fair balance. Thoughts?
                    Seems like a fair compromise to me.

Comment

• That all seems fine, though perhaps complicated. I still prefer a more limited term, but I'm not strongly opposed to a 3 or 5 year Stepien rule.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• aye for whatever decided

and my name is Miekenstien, for the chart.

i do like 5 years compared to 3. like joey, i'm not going anywhere. but i am easy breezy

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          That all seems fine, though perhaps complicated. I still prefer a more limited term, but I'm not strongly opposed to a 3 or 5 year Stepien rule.
                          Do you mean this seems complicated?

I thought that was straight forward....but I've always struggled with simplicity.

Comment

• I am definitely swayed to 3 years.

Comment

• If Tucas (or anyone) doesn't want their pick and wants to trade it, do we really care?

Generally the answer is no, but if we make a rule that you must own a draft pick in a 3 year window, then we apparently do.

I'm for 3 year, no restrictions.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                I'm for 3 year, no restrictions.
                                I second no restrictions on me trading my picks. But if we must, McHappy's idea if where I land my vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X