No announcement yet.

Amir's free agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you not love Amir? However if DeMar gets close to max, that means Lowry's next contract is close to max. Now that means you are limited to what you can offer Amir, unless you believe that this team can win now and that it doesn't need one more piece to make the final, or your willing to max out for an also ran team. Secondly, you are not paying for the Amir of two years ago but possibly the Amir of 3 years from now. Any business builds this into the length and amount of a contract they offer. The future is always unpredictable, so you base it on what you have... great attitude and analytics vs wonky ankles and a beat up body. I have no idea what he will be paid but I am sure it will be looked at in terms of what it is felt he can bring in the future, keeping in mind the teams other commitments and in light of the going talent price, not an award solely for his past accomplishments.
    Last edited by meductic; Wed Oct 29, 2014, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Give amir the max.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

For all you guys saying Amir isn't deserving of 10mil per LMAO. Amir is in a contract year and hes gonna ball out
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          Give amir the max.
          Seriously?
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
            Seriously?
            lol
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              why is demar not taking full money worthy of hilarity? do you think he is a horrible person who puts himself before the team? if a guy like bosh can sacrifice money to win why not demar? i don't see why you have such a low opinion of his personal character
              If Chandler Parsons can get 15m/year for accomplishing not that much, Demar is going to expect max. He has a strong case to make at least double what he's earning now, or $20M/year.

Gortat is 30, and making 8M/year, and Tyson Chandler is 32 making 14M/year.

Amir will be 28 years old next year and a 10 year veteran. He has a unique blend of youth, size and experience, is an excellent defender, and would average a double-double if gave a shit about stats. He's a plus-minus all-star that simply makes almost any line-up better, and the problem is the entire league knows it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014...oronto-raptors

Dude is going to get paid this summer.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                Amir getting a 4yr/40mil will not be a bad contract for what he offers and once the new CBA kicks in 10mil will feel like 7mil or 6mil.
                Amir at 10 M a year would be a good deal.

Comment

Alright alright, I got to bump this in light of all the crazy extensions the today/yesterday.

How much do you guys think Amir is worth, versus how much you think we'd have to pay to keep him? Because I'm sure there's a lot of contenders that are lean up front that would love to add Amir for 'what he's worth'.

Comment

Depends on his health. If he can prove he can be at or near 100% for a big chunk of this year, he's worth 10M+ as a bonafide starting PF. If he's struggling to stay healthy, he's still a viable bench option for about what he's making now. I think in the latter case we are better off letting him walk and using cap room to try to target a difference maker.

In the former case though, I could see him re-signing for about 10M annually, maybe a bit less if we gave him 5 years. Long term guarantees are big for players with injury histories. If he signs for a starting salary of 9M, that would leave another 8M signing we'd be capable of making that summer, which is not huge, but is bigger than the MLE and could be used to shore up our 3 spot or backup C (maybe a DeMarre Carroll type player?).
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

In 2006, I believe we were paying Antonio Davis 10 million USD/season. That's equivalent to 12 million now, right? If GV can get 6.5, I imagine AJ will probably get 10.

Comment

Why would the Cavaliers sign Anderson Varejao to any type of contract extension, given his injury history? Here is what the Cavs were thinking: 1. Varejao is a tremendous role model because of his hustle, relentless rebounding and grit coming back from injuries. He fits with LeBron James. His unselfish attitude and upbeat personality are ideal for a contender. Coaches love to show tapes of Varejao drawing charges, rolling on the court for loose balls and chasing rebounds. They also appreciate how he has learned some inside moves to score. 2. The market for big men is about to explode when the new salary cap begins to kick in during the summer of 2015. Backups will be paid nearly $10 million a year if they can do a decent job at center. Cleveland Plain Dealer
                        I have a feeling the market has been set now. Amir will likely see 4 years 44 million
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I still dont understand how almost every raptors fan seems to overlook amir. do you watch any games? amir does everything, he's been improving every year and even expanded his offensive game a bit. If we're gonna boast the best backcourt in the eastern conference, not everyone can be a volume scorer, you actually need guys like Amir on the floor.
                          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Before you make any assumptions about Amir's rate, first look at his market.

Amir is, depending on how you look at it, either a decent starting power forward or the best backup PF in the league. 10-11 per year is starter money, so consider how many teams will realistically want a starting PF next summer.

You can eliminate Chicago (Taj/Pau/Mirotic), Dallas (Dirk and Brandan Wright), Denver (just invested in Kenneth Faried), Detroit (right now has two starting power forwards in Smith and Monroe), Golden State (David Lee), the Clippers (Blake), Memphis (ZBo), Milwaukee (Jabari and John Henson), New Orleans (Davis), OKC (Ibaka), Orlando (Channing Frye and Aaron Gordon), Phoenix (just invested in Markieff Morris), Sacramento (has a ridiculous glut of bigs), Utah (Favors) and Washington (Nene).

So right away that's half the league that almost certainly isn't interested in Amir as a starting power forward. You can probably also add Boston to that list since Sullinger seems to be developing well at the position. And, if you anticipate that Kevin Love and LaMarcus Aldridge re-sign with Cleveland and Portland (reasonably likely) that's two more teams out of contention.

Then dish off the teams that won't be able to afford him - which probably knocks off Brooklyn, Miami and the Lakers.

Who's left?

Us
                            Atlanta
                            Charlotte
                            Houston
                            Indiana (if they trade David West, which seems quite possible)
                            Minnesota
                            The Knicks
                            Philly
                            San Antonio

Minnesota and Philly will only get Amir if they offer him a stupid max deal, and the important thing to remember is this: Amir isn't going to be the most hotly contested power forward after Love and Aldridge resign. It'll be Paul Millsap. They also probably both want to develop their young power forwards (Bennett and Noel). So I think them going after Amir is unlikely.

Houston can find the money but probably won't because Terrence Jones and D-Mo are a decent platoon.

Charlotte will have the money, but Big Al is going to almost certainly exercise his player option to get one last big payday, and Charlotte will probably pay it since he's a crucial part of their team.

San Antonio is an intriguing option because Tim Duncan will either retire or take an even smaller deal as his minutes go down some more. I can see them making a play for Amir. Of course they'll be dealing with Kawhi's re-signing at the same time.

The Knicks will look at Amir. Atlanta will look at Amir. But, and this is crucial, they'll almost certainly all go after Paul Millsap first - and the Knicks in particular will make bids for LMA and Kevin Love because they're the Knicks, even though those bids will almost certainly fail. Amir is going to be the third-or-fourth-best option for a lot of teams, and if Kyle Lowry's re-signing this past summer is proof of anything, it's that players really like to feel like they're a team's first choice.

I don't see any team making Amir a priority more than we will, and that's why I think we'll re-sign him for $8-10m/year tops. Contracts like Faried's, where he gets 11 per, are based in part on the "what if he becomes a monster" test, and Amir is who Amir is at this point.

Comment

Those are all good points, magoon, and it helps that some teams will be gun shy with the really big names and big cap space coming the year after.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Magoon, you're looking at the needs of other teams a little too linearly (sorry, can't think of a better word).

Just because some teams already have a starting 4 doesn't mean they wouldn't make a play for a quality, defensive big like Amir, that can play the 4/5.

I actually think Golden State should and could be looking at alternatives to David Lee, who posts numbers but is terrible defensively and is often injured anyways. They might take a long look at a guy like Amir who could be the defensive big in a mobile, small-ball line-up.

The Clippers need a legit back-up at the four. Tyson Chandler's contract is expiring this year in Dallas, and Amir could fill a similar defensive role at a cheaper cost. And although Amir is not technically a center, he would be a big upgrade over Adams and Perkins in OKC.

That's why I think the Raptors will have to overpay Amir somewhere in the 10 -12 M range. I don't know about the cap situations of the Clips, GSW, OKC, or Mavs are, but I can easily see a contending team trying to make a bid for him, even if it's with less money.
                                Last edited by bryan colangelo; Sun Nov 2, 2014, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X