Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dion Waiters to skip national anthems because of his Muslim faith??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dion Waiters to skip national anthems because of his Muslim faith??

Why why why?

I'm sure we have Muslim fans here, so please explain, what Muslim faith have to do with U.S. National Anthem?

I'd skip them too.

Fuck them

Comment

I'd skip them too.

Fuck them....

Actually, I should elaborate.

The media will run with this, they have an agenda. And they will feed a vastly uninformed general public a sensationalized line of shit that is ALL about his religion when the fact is, i would bet a lot of cash all Dion is doing is being a thoughtful, strong man and staying true to his ideals. Only speculation on my end, but I would gather he is like many, see's no place for politics of pushing a nationalist agenda during sporting events, and ain't having any part in it. In his mind, seeing as the USA and Canada are completely head first into a really shady and politically corrupt battle in the middle east where they constantly insult Muslims in their own country as well as completely worldwide by allowing a fairly serious "terrorist" label to be subtly attached to everything that involves people of Muslin faith, he probably is mad as fuck, as he should be, as WE ALL should be and he doesn't want any part in that machines agenda of bullshit.

I mean i might be grasping.... but I think there is a solid chance I'm bang on.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
        I'd skip them too.

Fuck them....

The media will run with this, they have an agenda. And they will feed a vastly uninformed general public a sensationalized line of shit that is ALL about his religion when the fact is, i would bet a lot of cash all Dion is doing is being a thoughtful, strong man and staying true to his ideals. Only speculation on my end, but I would gather he is like many, see's no place for politics of pushing a nationalist agenda during sporting events, and ain't having any part in it. In his mind, seeing as the USA and Canada are completely head first into a really shady and politically corrupt battle in the middle east where they constantly insult Muslims in their own country as well as completely worldwide by allowing a fairly serious "terrorist" label to be subtly attached to everything that involves people of Muslin faith, he probably is mad as fuck, as he should be, as WE ALL should be and he doesn't want any part in that machines agenda of bullshit.

got it. He's skipping national anthems because of hate to America.

Comment

Thats a fairly ignorant view bud.

We should maybe stick to hoops.... clearly Geopolitics isn't really a good fit for us.

Comment

I remember Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf's career went downhill after he too refused to respect the national anthem. He was a very promising player with the Nuggets, but brought a lot of hate from fans, players and even his own teammates after he refused to stand for the national anthem. He got banned, but the league worked out some compromise where he didn't have to look up during the anthem or something.

I never understood the need for national anthems prior to games in North American sports. I can understand international games, but club games are unnecessary. Outside Canada and the US, you don't have national anthems prior to a club match in any sport anywhere in the world. It's unnecessary. This coming from a former Canadian army reserve...
            Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
              I'd skip them too.

Fuck them....

Similarly, I hate when the Raps where their camo alternates. Other the fact that they're ugly as fuck, the subtle Orwellian military propaganda makes me sick.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Everyone here has their interpretation of Political Correctness, and when the GM trades Waiters to Philadelphia FOR a 1ST Round Pick, he can enjoy his career in TANK CITY.

Seen this trip beforehand, the GM of the Cavs will send this young man, on his way and wish him the best of luck. Look Turkey has a great team in Europe as well, Deron Williams enjoyed playing there, I mean this in a nice manner. Waiters may feel more comfortable playing there.

For years Waiters understood this format existed, and the conduct code that he signed in his professional contract confirms such.

To me, I dont understand that his behavior as being xenophobic. But, he has a contract that he has signed, and he must live up to the contract, in signing a new contract he can create a codicil to avoid standing for the national anthems.
                Last edited by Heatdreamer; Sat Nov 8, 2014, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Waiters was back on the floor for the anthem last night in Denver.

Comment

Must have read his contract.

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                      I think Lebron was threatening to kick his butt.

Comment

Well it IS the religion thing actually I believe.

Lets not do the "pick on the muslims thing again" please. The Jehovah's witnesses eg. have the same attitude as may others like your everyday atheist who take issue with the "christian god" being an integral part of said anthem and wish not to upstage their own deity or none. This does not mean they do not respect the right of others to participate in the anthem/singalong. They just want to be excused. If it means so much to them well then why not? There is separation of church and state correct? And freedom of religion? Big deal re Waiters.

I do agree with much of what posters Superjudge & Kopite say. It is such a effing waste of time with so much faux patriotism every game with each league trying to outdo the other it's nauseating (to me at least) the NFL being the worst who roll out the military and the armory and flypasts and field wide flags with Canada trying to play copycat.

Here's the thing....the history of national anthems being played at such events had their genesis during the WW2 (baseball started it) as did the withholding system of income taxes. This I understand....rally everyone to the cause and pay for the war effort etc. The war ended. And both have remained....alongwith forms of nationalism which tends to be a conduit to conflict.

Comment

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                          He already did.

Chris Haynes, Cleveland.com journo says he recorded his interview with Dion.
                          Last edited by rocwell; Sat Nov 8, 2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Edit: Just read the tweet. There ya go.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

There's nothing in Islam that says we shouldn't stand up for the anthem, it's just some more B.S that these reporters love to spew.
                              There's nothing to see here
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                              X