Rudy Gay Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iblastoff wrote: View Post
    if quincy acy was our backup PF that goes in after amir i would throw up. yah a great 'energy guy' and cheerleader on the bench but wtf else would he provide OVER patrick patterson? absolutely nothing.
    I have to agree with this. Even over Ed Davis. Maybe Ed will throw in a block everyonce in a while, but his turrible shooting made him a liability everywhere else.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
      If it wasn't for the Rudy Gay Trade we'd have Jose Calderon instead of Grievas Vasquez, Ed Davis instead of Pattrick Patterson and Quincy Acy instead of Chuck Hayes.

It seems to me the team would be better with Calderon, Davis and Acy. Ujiri did a good job of recovering from a bad Colangelo trade, especially getting 2Pat, though it costs us Acy.
      We are presently 6-1 .. Would we be 7-0 ? Also Jose body puts him on the IR a lot ... Ed Davis seems like a mirrow immage of Amir ( in his game ) but Patterson is different and so it allows you to adjust to different teams

Comment

How is this even a thread? We were going absolutely nowhere before the Rudy gay acquisition and after he came to the team. We are now one of the best teams in the eastern conference. You regret what exactly??
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
          if quincy acy was our backup PF that goes in after amir i would throw up. yah a great 'energy guy' and cheerleader on the bench but wtf else would he provide OVER patrick patterson? absolutely nothing.
          Acy > Hayes. ED > Patterson (by a bit) ... I never said Acy > Patterson.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            How is this even a thread? We were going absolutely nowhere before the Rudy gay acquisition and after he came to the team. We are now one of the best teams in the eastern conference. You regret what exactly??
            The comparison is what we traded for Gay, compared to what we got for him, not how good our team was before gay and how good our team is now.

Comment

Disagree on bold. Patterson is smart defensively AND stretches out the floor. Our only big that can do that, thus he has more importance on our teams success than would ED.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

regardless, patterson is definitely > ed davis. what exactly does ed davis bring that patterson isnt way better at?

and giving up acy is no big deal whatsoever. seriously, why would anyone be high on him right now?

Comment

to be clear when considering this.

Jose Calderon and Ed Davis turned into

Greivis Vasquez, Lou Williams, Bebe Noguiera, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Who's Rudy Gay? Never heard of him.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      Who's Rudy Gay? Never heard of him.
                      Some guy playing in Sacramento
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

OK, I do like 2Pat, though ED is more protypical power forward, and IMO a better overall player as a result, however so long as Amir holds up, and to a lesser degree T-bro, 2Pat does fit better with the current squad.

If you include Bebe and Williams into the equation, it does tip the scale, Williams is a servicable guard, Bebe is an intruiging prospect. However, we didn't really get them for Gay, but in a subsequent trade. If Colangelo never traded Ed Davis and Jose Calderone, then Ujiri would have had them plus Acy to work trades, who knows who he would have landed.

So, just looking at what we traded for Gay and what we got for him, it looks to me like we gave a little more than we got, but in the end Ujiri did a great job of not getting too much less, considering Gay's value was not helped by his time in Toronto.

Comment

OK, I do like 2Pat, though ED is more protypical power forward, and IMO a better overall player as a result, however so long as Amir holds up, and to a lesser degree T-bro, 2Pat does fit better with the current squad.

If you include Bebe and Williams into the equation, it does tip the scale, Williams is a servicable guard, Bebe is an intruiging prospect. However, we didn't really get them for Gay, but in a subsequent trade. If Colangelo never traded Ed Davis and Jose Calderone, then Ujiri would have had them plus Acy to work trades, who knows who he would have landed.

So, just looking at what we traded for Gay and what we got for him, it looks to me like we gave a little more than we got, but in the end Ujiri did a great job of not getting too much less, considering Gay's value was not helped by his time in Toronto.
                          I just disagree on so many counts.

First, Ed is, at best, about equal to Patterson. But I'd say he's more at about Hansbrough's level. Ed is very limited offensively, has average size, and good but not great athleticism. He rebounds pretty well and can block some shots at times. I'd take Pat any day of the week over him. He brings a more unique skill set, is more versatile defensively (Ed cannot defend face up/stretch guys), and the only place I can really say Ed has an advantage is rebounding...hence Hansbrough as a good comparison (although their games look pretty different).

Second, Jose and Ed Davis is not a lot to work with. An aging PG with below average athleticism, and a young hustle PF...not spectaculr pieces. And Acy has fully been a 3rd string PF at best so far in his career...NYK is just such a joke this year.

Finally, we got tons for Gay. We didnt' get much from him (on the court), but there's no way we would've been able to turn Jose, Ed and Acy into Pat, Greivis, Lou and Bebe. That's a direct upgrade on Jose....a younger, bigger PG with more versatility as a scorer, albeit worse shooting. A direct upgrade on Ed, especially because of fit...a stretch PF with more defensive versatility over a guy who, again kinda like Hansbrough, is a good backup on a bad team or a "meh" backup on any decent team. And we turned a 3rd string PF with low upside into a 3rd string C with more upside, and who's also 2 years younger. And that doesn't even count Lou, who's a better player (based on whole career) than anyone else at all involved in how this played out....other than Gay, who I never really liked despite all his talent.

So we upgraded every piece we originally sent out for Gay...
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Nov 10, 2014, 11:39 PM.

Comment

If it wasn't for the Rudy Gay Trade we'd have Jose Calderon instead of Grievas Vasquez, Ed Davis instead of Pattrick Patterson and Quincy Acy instead of Chuck Hayes.

It seems to me the team would be better with Calderon, Davis and Acy. Ujiri did a good job of recovering from a bad Colangelo trade, especially getting 2Pat, though it costs us Acy.
                            If Calderon is still here, Kyle Lowry doesn't emerge. And THAT scary scenario, by itself, is enough to poo-poo this notion - in addition to everything everyone else has said.

Comment

Excuse me when I ask "In what universe is Ed Davis better than Patrick Patterson, because I don't expect to travel there in my lifetime so you might as well describe it to me."

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                to be clear when considering this.

Jose Calderon and Ed Davis turned into

Greivis Vasquez, Lou Williams, Bebe Noguiera, Patrick Patterson and Chuck Hayes
                                This really isn't a discussion at all.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X