No announcement yet.

Wojnarowski: Wouldn't Be Surprised If Ujiri Goes After Durant In Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have cap space in 2016, you're going after Durant. A lot of stuff can happen in 2 years. We could be the most exciting team in the league by then, or we could be an eighth seed. The relevant "strategic" question for Masai, is do we save our money this year?

The danger with saving cap space for 2016 is that every team has space that year, the competition might not be quite as intense for FAs this year. So if Durant turns us down, how much value does our cap space lose from 2015 to 2016?

But then again, noone hitting the market this year gets me all that excited, so maybe its worth taking a pass.

Oh and then I realized that we'd probably have cap space in 2016 either way.... d'oh
    Last edited by stooley; Tue Nov 11, 2014, 07:53 PM.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

In order for Toronto to have a chance at KD.. the Raptors need to prove to KD that they have a better roster than OKC. Kevin seems to be a really loyal guy. But I can also see him wanting to win really badly.

OKC has proven all-star talent. Was trading Harden really that serious of a blow that KD would feel like he needs to move on? The Wiz will also have cap space and have Beals + Wall. Hard to compete considering Toronto is basically on par with them and the Wiz have a home court advantage.

We also no longer have Tim's services.

It's a good pipe dream to have.. but to be more realistic I say the Raptors should be giving a max offer to Kawhi this summer and hope he decides to leave the Spurs. If not him, then maybe Tobias Harris or Paul Millsap.

If KD is willing to come to Toronto in 2016 and they wasted their cap space.. then you do a S&T with some of the assets including potentially the 2015 free agent signing.

Comment

Durant will be 28 in 2016. I think that he will be looking for a situation that puts him in a better position to win championships. Otherwise he might as well stay in OKC and remain there as 'the man'.

I think that if JV and Ross, both of them being younger players with high upside can develop more, I feel like that will be something KD will find more lucrative and appealing than showcasing the presence of a (then) 30 year old Lowry and 27 year old Derozan. Of course, both are proven stars in the league now, but if KD is thinking about something longterm, then it comes down to Ross, JV, Bruno, and the supporting cast that the Raptors can surround him with.
        I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
        -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

we don't need KD...came to that conclusion today. Their aren't enough shots available. He will make Lowry worse, and DeRozan worse.

We need someone Kawhi Leonard like at the 3, someone Paul Millsap like at the 4 and we would officially be a championship contender.

I don't want Kevin Durant
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            we don't need KD...came to that conclusion today. Their aren't enough shots available. He will make Lowry worse, and DeRozan worse.

We need someone Kawhi Leonard like at the 3, someone Paul Millsap like at the 4 and we would officially be a championship contender.

I don't want Kevin Durant
            You drunk?
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I'd really like to see that happen internally by having Bruno be the 3 and Bebe be the 4 eventually #2016
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                You drunk?
                nope I'll lay out my reasoning for dissection

1.) Lowry needs the ball in his hand to be effective.

2.) you will likely have to gut the team of our depth to get him.
                you know what you get when you have Durant on a team with no depth...his current situation.

3.) I think he will sap DeRozan's role turning him into a third fiddle.

4.) I would much rather build a team 15 deep than 8 deep because well...people get injured, and the days of seeing Ben Uzoh contribute or having untested rookies step in the rotation should be over here now.

Comment

you know what you get when you have Durant on a team with no depth...his current situation.

4.) I would much rather build a team 15 deep than 8 deep because well...people get injured, and the days of seeing Ben Uzoh contribute or having untested rookies step in the rotation should be over here now.
                  Lowry plays very VERY well off the ball. It's why we played him at the 2 with Greivis running the point so much last year.

If there are enough shots in OKC for KD and Westbrook, there's definitely enough shots for KD and DD. DD will still have a big role. And let's not forget that OKC used to roll out a lineup with Westbrook, Harden, KD and Ibaka, all needing shots. Having a lineup with Lowry, DD, KD and Jonas should have the same effect and we would still have enough shots for everyone.

And role players will come for cheap when you have a legit contender. Durant has to be proactive about it though and recruit some vets like Lebron. Look at Ray Allen, Shawn Marion, Mike Miller, etc.

Comment

You wanna pass on Durant to keep DeRozan happy?

That's like passing on a BMW because you own a skateboard.

Comment

I just like what is being built here...and I have gut feeling that Durant wouldn't work here in the same way Gay didin't. I know its hard to argue with a gut but I'm okay with continuing down the path we are on

Comment

I just like what is being built here...and I have gut feeling that Durant wouldn't work here in the same way Gay didin't. I know its hard to argue with a gut but I'm okay with continuing down the path we are on
                        I guess we'll have to wait and see where this team is by the summer of 2016. If we're a true championship contender sans Durant, then yeah, maybe we don't risk messing up the chemistry/continuity that already exists.

If we're 1st round fodder three years in a row, then it would be easy to conclude that changes are needed.

Comment

You and your gut feelings...i dunno how long you've watched pro basketball, but adding durant would make us better, and LeBron ain't finishing 8th.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

LOL anytime you add a complete game changer, it only helps
                            The guy can win 45 wins by himself if he had to, and in the Western Conference

Lowry is the perfect fit for KD. He doesn't take away shots for KD, but plays really efficiently in the system and picks his shots good

DD as the number 1 or 1a option wont take you far at this point in his career. You need a lead scorer to take off some of his load, and the defensive pressure, then he can flourish

If you dont surround KD with scorers and just defensive minded players, it will look like AI in philly -- a man doing all he can to no avail

Comment

hey my gut is 100% correct 30% of the time

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                You wanna pass on Durant to keep DeRozan happy?

That's like passing on a BMW because you own a skateboard.
                                I'm gonna tweet a screenshot of this to DeRozan.

#ProveEm
                                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                                X