Double standard against JV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double standard against JV

Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed by the double standards against JV by Casey. He has a ridiculously short leash, and gets pulled regularly for one or two mistakes, whereas Ross and DD are allowed to roam around jacking up terrible shots and playing terrible D. He seems low on confidence and Casey needs to show some faith in him. He rarely gets playing time in crunch time. One thing is for sure though, this team is going to need JV at his best if they are to make a deep playoff run.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Casey gives guys roles to play on cue cards every year. Play your role, you play. Now, unless you can tell me what JV's role is exactly how do you know Casey is pulling the string too soon?

Also, raps have done a pretty decent job of incorporating 2 young inexperienced players into the starting line up on a winning team, not easy to do. So instead of criticizing why not sit back, let the professionals do their thing and enjoy the position of #1 in the NBA
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
      Casey gives guys roles to play on cue cards every year. Play your role, you play. Now, unless you can tell me what JV's role is exactly how do you know Casey is pulling the string too soon?

Also, raps have done a pretty decent job of incorporating 2 young inexperienced players into the starting line up on a winning team, not easy to do. So instead of criticizing why not sit back, let the professionals do their thing and enjoy the position of #1 in the NBA
      Exactly. I'm not going to defend their entire shot selection, but "jacking shots" is exactly what DD and Ross are supposed to do.

JV's post game is still a work in progress and is, frankly, pretty limited. Give him 15 FGA per game and he'll be getting stripped of the ball and blocked much more often. He doesn't have the game for that kind of workload yet.

They're developing JV to, perhaps most importantly, anchor the entire defence. That's a critical role and mistakes the casual fan doesn't even see may lead to a hook.

I'd rather see JV get a couple more minutes and touches tbh, but I don't have a problem with what Casey's doing.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Well at the same time, with 15FGA per game he would develop much more faster, Derozan was given that opportunity and was not that much better offensive wise than JV when he came into the league. Some of the guys in this forum expect him to consistently overpass his matchups e.g. Vucecic, but you have to realize that Vucecic is Orlando's main player, who takes 10-16 FGA per game and due to this fact is much more developed offensively and defensively as he also plays 36+ minutes... They cannot be compared as someone did in the other thread. Those are double standarts from fans, which I noticed after recent bad stretch from JV, expecting him to dominate, being dissapointed in him, while he is treated as, at some cases, as 6th player. I'm not blaming the coaching staff for that, I am suggesting to give him a break. They may want to lower his value for the contract year, but I'm afraid it can backfire the development and confidence of his, or even worse... while not being as humble as he was entering the league I can see him taking bigger contract. IMO.
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Hes not a child who needs to be babied. There's been no indication whatsoever that anyone has any issues with caseys rotations. We're a playoff team and are not in the position to sacrifice any more than we already are in the name of development.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I'm a big fan of JV.

He's lost his swagger.

Whether that is due to injury or confidence, I'm not sure.

Doing the one arm reach for rebounds does not help his cause in fans eyes.

He has to play tough and fight.... right now I'm not seeing that.

I've not been a fan of Casey's handling of him. A lot of posters comment that we are a playoff team and can't afford to develop him or be patient. Well, that approach has been taken the last 2 seasons as well. Soon we're going to be stating we need a presence in the middle. It is why you need to develop guys and let them play on rookie contracts so you're not always holding out for the elusive potential - you need to know what you have.

Regardless, right now it is all a waste of time because he is playing soft. Gotta change that, Jonas.

Comment

What JV needs is another road trip to Wasaga beach.

Comment

I ask people to think back to this summer and how JV played on his National team. The kid produced and took on a big offensive and defensive role. Some players need minutes to get going, some players can come in cold and produce, JV needs to get warmed up it seems, and once he gets that quick hook it is hard for him to get going again.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I watched a bunch of JV tape before he was drafted. I expected him to have a Tyson Chandler level impact on the defensive end. If you look at his body type and game right now, it's very hard to make that comparison.

My personal theory is that in order to bang with the biggest centers in the league he's gained to much weight. I would like to see him not necessarily trim down, but certainly tone up. Before he came to the NBA he showed the ability to defend the length of the court, to apply pressure to guards on the perimeter and recover back to the rim. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I'd like to see less Roy Hibbert and more Tyson Chandler.

I think JV is going to get killed by Pau or Noah (whichever one he guards) tonight, and if was slimmer and more mobile I don't think that would be the case.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

he's playing like a scrub more often than not.... therefore, for the moment, he is a scrub.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                      he's playing like a scrub more often than not.... therefore, for the moment, he is a scrub.
                      But at least he's playing....unlike that little bitch, Rose

Comment

The double standard is obvious
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

not really.

He's been terrible. So they sit his ass down.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            So does DD when he's not shooting well.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Sit him too

Comment

Working...
                              X