Would CB4 Be Booed ... or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would CB4 Be Booed ... or Not?

Reading comments about whether or not Chris Bosh would be booed, should he decide to head off for what he would hope to be ‘greener pastures’ ... my automatic response was an emphatic ‘no, he won’t be booed’. Then I thought about it some more ... and I have to say, I pretty much feel the same.

It’s easy - too easy - to call up memories of the fun we’ve had booing Vince and then, sort of lump them in with all the other ‘data’ on the subject ... but Vince was a whole different ballgame ... enough so that there’s no need here, to go over all that again. We all know what the difference was between Vince Carter and how he left and how ... anybody else that I can think of really, who chose to leave a Toronto team for somewhere else. There’s no comparison at all ... again, that I can think of.

So, I think Bosh would get very warm welcomes for the initial visits here - the first year or two, visiting ... maybe even longer than that - at the beginning at least, of any game where we’d have the opportunity to let him ‘hear us’ ... before following that with the more reasonable kind of booing that almost anyone gets almost anywhere, when returning to his former home-arena.

Sort of like what I expect Roy Halliday to get, when he returns to Toronto.

Some might think that Toronto fans hold a grudge more than other fans of teams from most anywhere else ... but I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Vince might’ve gotten us into a bit of a ‘habit’ of booing ex-home players ... which I certainly thought once or twice when someone other than Vince was getting a bit of that treatment ... but overall, I think we’re collectively smart enough to know that there’s a big difference between how Vince Carter left Toronto compared to how it generally works in the world of pro sports ... and VC just put himself into a category that (I think) will always be his own.

Chris Bosh has been a class act throughout his time here in Toronto, right from the beginning. If he leaves, we’ll be disappointed for sure ... but I think we’ll get over it. And I quite believe we’ll always treat him with the respect that he’s given us ... and that most of us know he deserves.

ws511 wrote: View Post
    Chris Bosh has been a class act throughout his time here in Toronto, right from the beginning. If he leaves, we’ll be disappointed for sure ... but I think we’ll get over it. And I quite believe we’ll always treat him with the respect that he’s given us ... and that most of us know he deserves.
    I hope that's the case.

Nice post ws511.

Comment

Personally I'd be ashamed if Bosh was booed if he left, then returned while playing for someone else. He's given solid years to the franchise and has put up - with a high level of class - with numerous rebuilds and seasons of failed potential. Options and a potentially more successful future are the very reason a player looks forward to free agency. Vince was annoying long before he left and had - and has - no class and no fighting spirit.

I recall the playoff series with the Nets a few years back. Close game (forget which one) late in the fourth. Bosh at the free throw line. Carter, just before Bosh lets go of the shot, all of a sudden jerks up and makes a show of looking towards the Jersey bench, as if someone was calling out to him. To me it looked like Carter couldn't deal with the situation and shamefully tried to distract Bosh while shooting a crucial free throw.

Bosh would never stoop to that. If he left, I'd hope fans appreciated his time here and gave him the warm welcome he deserves. He wants to play for a winner, and if he feels he can't do that in T.O. (personally I hope he stays, as with this core and some minor tweaks I really think the Raps can be awesome in a year or two), then it's within his rights to do so.

Comment

I think it's a near certainty that Bosh gets booed.

Bosh won't deserve that reaction but I think it'll be the one he gets.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

i honestly don't think he will because i think it's time to move on for both sides. with vince it wasn't time.

he really had no reason to leave other than out of complete randomness.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

The shoe has yet to drop. If the parting goes off amicably sotospeak where there is a S&T exchange of moderate value coming back I think all will be well. He has been a good member of the franchise while here.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              The shoe has yet to drop. If the parting goes off amicably sotospeak where there is a S&T exchange of moderate value coming back I think all will be well. He has been a good member of the franchise while here.
              That’s actually a good point. I’ve considered that aspect of it over these last couple of weeks, but I didn’t think of it today while I was writing the post. But you’re right. How we all feel, in the end, will likely be affected by how it all goes down. If he just walks and we get nothing ... I’ll probably have to write another post on the matter. (Lol.)
              Last edited by ws511; Fri Apr 2, 2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

ws511 wrote: View Post
                That’s actually a good point. I’ve considered that aspect of it over these last couple of weeks, but I didn’t think of it today while I was writing the post. But you’re right. How we all feel, in the end, will likely be affected by how it all goes down. If he just walks and we get nothing ... I’ll probably have to write another post on the matter. (Lol.)
                I’ve been thinking about and it’s hard for me to imagine that if Bosh does go, he’ll just walk. It just doesn’t feel likely because, if he walks, he doesn’t get the super-max money. And I think he certainly wants that, whatever he’s going to do. It’d be crazy to leave it on the table ... and no matter how badly he wants to win, if he’s thinking about going elsewhere to do it, he’ll have to agree to the sign-and-trade to get the money. Which means we’d get some return on him ... and we’re back to where we were.
                Last edited by ws511; Fri Apr 2, 2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

too many people perceive that he has "checked out" for him to be perceived as leaving having given it his all. that equals boos.

Comment

If Bosh just walks out - he will get booed and he'll deserve it. Bosh has had every opportunity to let BC know in advance and permit him the chance to get something in return.

On a S&T deal with the Raps getting something of value back, it will be much harder to boo CB4. We don't "own" him.

Players come and players go. But its how they go that will get them booed.
                    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

He would really have to go out of his way to appease the fan base to avoid being booed. Were talking major ads in the newspaper, charity game in Toronto every year, nothing but great things to say about the city, go to a team with actual shot of winning a title combined with a good haul in S and T.

If I was in the camp that wanted to resign him and he left I would be devastated 100%. If Bron leaves the Cleveland, he will be booed no matter what happens. Fans take it as a slap to the face and a personal attack against their city.

Comment

Working...
                      X