Kawhi Leonard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawhi Leonard

Seeing as we'll have max cap space this offseason (max in terms of a player fresh off a rookie deal), is there any down side to throwing it at Kawhi Leonard other than possibly being crippled salary cap wise for 3 days?

Who knows, with the Spurs going after Marc Gasol this offseason they might be dumb enough to do what Houston did with the Chandler Parsons/Carmelo Anthony situation. I realize San Antonio isn't nearly as dumb as Houston but no harm in trying.

Also DanH or any other cap-wizards out there, how much remaining cap room would we have this offseason and how much would we have in 2016 once the cap rises if we somehow managed to actually get Kawhi?

If I thought there was even a 15% chance of pulling off the Chandler Parsons offer sheet I would do it. That being said, leaving The Spurs would be tough as how many teams offer better situations?
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

What about going after Jimmy Butler?
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        What about going after Jimmy Butler?
        Ill rather go for Leonard tbh, He's a perfect SF that Raptors need

If not him then a PF who plays D
        Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

San Antonio is going to give Leonard the max, and Leonard has said he expects to remain in San Antonio his whole career.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/for-k...st-since-day-1

I suggest you guys read this. The odds of us landing Leonard are less than 5% imo. Same goes for Jimmy Buckets. All-defensive wings don't grow on trees and neither organization is stupid enough to let them walk.

Parsons was a different situation as he was an unrestricted free agent.

Leonard, Butler, Tobias Harris.... these guys are no longer buy-low candidates. If we want to steal away young pieces we have to do it BEFORE they break out.

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
            Ill rather go for Leonard tbh, He's a perfect SF that Raptors need

If not him then a PF who plays D
            We already have 2 PFs who play D. we don't need another. We need a more rounded one who can score reliably.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              We already have 2 PFs who play D. we don't need another. We need a more rounded one who can score reliably.
              No i mean a urgrade on the PF spot

yeah rebound and post moves is also a must
              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                San Antonio is going to give Leonard the max, and Leonard has said he expects to remain in San Antonio his whole career.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/for-k...st-since-day-1

I suggest you guys read this. The odds of us landing Leonard are less than 5% imo. Same goes for Jimmy Buckets. All-defensive wings don't grow on trees and neither organization is stupid enough to let them walk.

Parsons was a different situation as he was an unrestricted free agent.

Leonard, Butler, Tobias Harris.... these guys are no longer buy-low candidates. If we want to steal away young pieces we have to do it BEFORE they break out.
                I dunno these threads are kind of weird and lame. It's like "oh look, that guy seems to be playing awesome, let's just go get him!"

Leonard is a finals MVP and both him and Butler are gonna be RFAs. Everyone knows their value by now. Might as well start a "can we get Lebron? He kinda good" thread.

Comment

With Leonard you have to wonder how much of that is a system that can make Boris Diaw relevant again. Not saying he's not a great player, but something to certainly consider.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                    With Leonard you have to wonder how much of that is a system that can make Boris Diaw relevant again. Not saying he's not a great player, but something to certainly consider.
                    Yeah but I think in this situation even the flip side might be said; that SA doesn't use him enough. Poppovich admits they don't run many plays for him and I think he's personally being underutilized in SA and could do much better in a bigger role. But obviously I understand their reasoning of bringing him along slowly and they're very team orientated.

Comment

San Antonio is probably going to give him a max contract. I wouldn't want the Raptors to offer him a max. Anything just short of a max (even if it's only 1 dollar below max) would be great, as it wouldn't be tied to the cap. So the contract becomes a smaller fraction of the max as the salary cap goes up.

BUT, it's still super unlikely as San Antonio, or somebody else will probably offer the max.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        San Antonio is probably going to give him a max contract. I wouldn't want the Raptors to offer him a max. Anything just short of a max (even if it's only 1 dollar below max) would be great, as it wouldn't be tied to the cap. So the contract becomes a smaller fraction of the max as the salary cap goes up.

BUT, it's still super unlikely as San Antonio, or somebody else will probably offer the max.
                        Max contracts are based on the salary cap in the first year, and based on max raises thereafter. So it is only in the case of max extensions that you might see a max deal change in value after the fact.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I'd definitely offer him the max if he hit FA, he's basically exactly what we need at the 3 spot.

That being said I'd be shocked if the Spurs let him walk.

People are under this false impression that the Spurs are cheap. They gave Tim huge money (for the time) in his deal after the rookie contract, basically the same money that Kobe got a year before. Manu and Tony Parker have both been 8 figure guys for a large chunk of their careers. They were even willing to have Richard Jefferson on board for a year for 14M and Stephen Jackson for 10M. Kawhi will get his money.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            I dunno these threads are kind of weird and lame. It's like "oh look, that guy seems to be playing awesome, let's just go get him!"

Leonard is a finals MVP and both him and Butler are gonna be RFAs. Everyone knows their value by now. Might as well start a "can we get Lebron? He kinda good" thread.
                            Did you even read the thread?

I clearly stated San Antonio's not dumb enough to let him walk but there's a minuscule chance, and we lose nothing by trying.

Everyone here knows Kawhi's a great player. No one mentioned getting Lebron. No one here thinks that realistically we'll land Leonard. My poin was there's no harm in trying.

Move along with your condescending posts.

Comment

All I was asking was IS there any downside to offering the contract and what our cap situation would look like.

Comment

Working...
                              X