Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBSSports.com Matt Moore - Raptors Aren't Contenders for Eastern Conference Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBSSports.com Matt Moore - Raptors Aren't Contenders for Eastern Conference Finals

Thoughts?

Fair. He's the same dude that said JV has a potential to be a centre on championship team not first or second option though
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

I think we all know the Raptors are closer to the 2nd tier of Eastern teams than the top 2.

Of course if Rose gets hurt or Love or Lebron do its a whole other story.

I think the goal for the season should be 50+ wins (a first in franchise history) and to win a 7 game series in ROund 1 (something this franchise has never done) and I guess also hopefully to at least look somewhat close in Round 2

Comment

Jrice9 wrote: View Post
        I think we all know the Raptors are closer to the 2nd tier of Eastern teams than the top 2.

Of course if Rose gets hurt or Love or Lebron do its a whole other story.

I think the goal for the season should be 50+ wins (a first in franchise history) and to win a 7 game series in ROund 1 (something this franchise has never done) and I guess also hopefully to at least look somewhat close in Round 2
        I agree. Win a series and see what we can do with CHI or CLE or WASH in the second round. I don't see us meeting WASH in the second round, but it's early and who knows how the season will play out. Maybe we do end up 1st seed, but a part of me hopes not, cause if we lost in the first round as a number 1 that would just be the worst case scenario (however unlikely).

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          I agree. Win a series and see what we can do with CHI or CLE or WASH in the second round. I don't see us meeting WASH in the second round, but it's early and who knows how the season will play out. Maybe we do end up 1st seed, but a part of me hopes not, cause if we lost in the first round as a number 1 that would just be the worst case scenario (however unlikely).
          The worst thing that can happen is us ending up in 1 seed and Indiana somehow pull their baggage to make the 8 seed with PG13 reportedly wanting to return for the playoffs if they make it in, it ll be a nightmare of a season although I think we can give them fits, it would be such a devastating scenario.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
            The worst thing that can happen is us ending up in 1 seed and Indiana somehow pull their baggage to make the 8 seed with PG13 reportedly wanting to return for the playoffs if they make it in, it ll be a nightmare of a season although I think we can give them fits, it would be such a devastating scenario.
            Do you seriously think that Indiana would be a dangerous team with George returning after missing the entire season?

And Matt Moore has a lot of good points. We don't have that 1 guy that can take over. Everybody on the team is stoppable one way or another, however, the example to the Brooklyn series is no longer valid since we have made some necessary upgrades. I think if we had a rematch with Brooklyn this year, the result would be in our favour.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
              Do you seriously think that Indiana would be a dangerous team with George returning after missing the entire season?

And Matt Moore has a lot of good points. We don't have that 1 guy that can take over. Everybody on the team is stoppable one way or another, however, the example to the Brooklyn series is no longer valid since we have made some necessary upgrades. I think if we had a rematch with Brooklyn this year, the result would be in our favour.
              I wouldn't wanna bet against a battle tested still hungry veteran filled team who is getting their bench some burn while most of their starters are injured.

I mean now they look like nothing. But once PG is back George hill is back and David west is back with the bench having been played meaningful mins. It wouldn't be a typical 8th seed team. No?

Comment

I wouldn't wanna bet against a battle tested still hungry veteran filled team who is getting their bench some burn while most of their starters are injured.

I mean now they look like nothing. But once PG is back George hill is back and David west is back with the bench having been played meaningful mins. It wouldn't be a typical 8th seed team. No?
                Well no, they wouldn't be. But they would be out of sync, George would definitely not be in game shape (physically or mentally), so I wouldn't be afraid of them. If PG came back...let's say a month before play offs, and they crawl their way into an 8th seed. That would be different, because they could click at that moment.

Comment

I have to be honest, I don't think there is much chance we get the #1 seed.

I can't see Chicago and Cleveland failing to win 55+ games and if the Raptors are winning 55+ games this season, something super good is happening and I wouldn't be worried.

As bad as the East is, it also seems unlikely that Indy will make the playoffs.

Comment

Shame on your click-bait title, James, why don't you throw a Kardashian reference in there, too? Okay, kidding on that. But I just want to point out that the title of this thread doesn't exactly capture what he's saying. This is perhaps splitting hairs, but he's not saying that he doesn't see them as contenders for the eastern conference finals, but that he questions whether they can get to the eastern conference finals, which is what it takes to be a contender in this league. I think that's an important distinction, because if we're talking about 'contenders for the eastern conference finals', you would probably be talking about the top 3 or 4 teams in the conference; but if you're talking about 'overall contender', which Matt Moore is, then yeah, it's fair to take only the two most likely conference-finals teams from the east.

I only bring this up, because I read the title and thought, "of course they're contenders to get to the eastern conference finals, what sort of moron would think otherwise?!" And then I actually listened to it and realized that wasn't the measuring stick he was talking about.

So I think we're a contender (not a favorite) to get to the eastern conference finals, and definitely not an overall contender in the league yet.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                      Shame on your click-bait title, James, why don't you throw a Kardashian reference in there, too? Okay, kidding on that. But I just want to point out that the title of this thread doesn't exactly capture what he's saying.
                      Makes for good conversation during a couple days off from our beloved team.

Comment

Depends on what the word "contender" means. The Raptors are probably 3rd in line in the East. So unless people are certain that the EC Finals are going to be Cleveland-Chicago, which I am not, then yes, the Raptors are a contender for one of those spots.

As currently constructed, contenders for a NBA finals berth may be a little bit of a stretch though, and basically no chance for an NBA championship this year.
                        That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                          Thoughts?

It's kind of difficult to argue with him. Ideally we should have two players who demand double teams: one down low & the other on the perimeter.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                            Everybody on the team is stoppable one way or another
                            I think JV can be unstoppable.

Nvm...Casey's here

Comment

We may not be contenders just yet but in 2 years... all that talk on continuity is not going to stop and it's safe to assume we will continue to go forward with this core if things keep going the way they do.

Just keep improving.
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                              X