Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    No Raptors
    Masai is mysterious. Nothing can be ruled out. Wood is one of the players I would like to draft though.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
      My ideal draft night I think would be somehow trading up to get Trey Lyles. He just seems exactly like what we need to replace Amir. He's got perfect size for the 4, and is a very smart player. Though I have absolutely no confidence in our Coaching Staffs ability to develop him ..
      Been looking into Trey Lyles a bit and he does have a very nice skill set. His weaknesses include defensive rebounding and being physical defensively.

I'm not worried about the defensive boards as long as we get PT for Bruno and a long defensive minded SG. Also his physicality defensively may just be a focus thing, as he hits people for offensive boards.

His lateral quicks don't seem to bad, and will get much better as he continues to work on his body.

If we are looking to add a PF who we can initiate the offense through he may be the guy. May not put up massive stats through his career but can be a very impactful player.

Comment

• Shooting Guards

Continuing our look at draft prospects. Most info from Draftexpress.

Devin Booker, 15, SG
        R.J. Hunter, 23, SG
        Norman Powell, 30, SG
        Rashad Vaughn, 30, SG
        Michael Qualls, 31, SG

Devin Booker, SG, 18 years old, 12th in DX Top 100
        Measurements: 6'6", 206 lbs, 6'8" wingspan, 35" max vert
        Scouting report:
        Athleticism: Fluid athlete with good quickness, not particularly explosive, decent strength, mediocre lateral quicks.
        Offence: Tremendous shooter, one of the best in the class. Textbook form and quick release; great spotting up or off the dribble. High IQ player, moves well off the ball and makes good decisions with it. Rarely takes bad shots, almost never turns the ball over. Not a one on one player, but is capable in the PnR and coming off screens, though his strength lies in spacing the floor. Not very good finishing inside, nor does he get many shots there.
        Defence: Although he lacks the tools to be a good defender (slow and not particularly long), he's not a serious liability either, due to playing smart positional defence and with endless effort on that end. Not a stopper one on one (can get beat off the dribble) and can be slow back out to contest shots. Doesn't generate steals or blocks, and is a sub par rebounder.
        Other: Considered a low risk, low potential pick. Pretty much guaranteed to be a contributor, but very little chance he's ever a difference maker (which is basically the only reason there's a chance he slips to 20).

R.J. Hunter, SG, 21 years old, 26th in DX Top 100
        Measurements: 6'6", 185 lbs, 6'11"wingspan, 35" max vert
        Scouting report:
        Athleticism: Another fluid athlete with good quickness, not particularly explosive, limited strength but has a lot of filling out to do - has the frame to carry a lot of muscle in time.
        Offence: Very good shooter and has tremendous range. Good off the dribble, spotting up. Low release point but very quick release. Very pretty stroke. Only hits on 35% from 3, but takes a lot of deep and contested shots (7 attempts per game is very high volume). Very good free throw shooting, and gets to the line a lot when opponents close out too fast. Another guy who isn't really a shot creator, not great finishing inside, and he can be very streaky. Has a good eye for passing though, and doesn't turn it over too much.
        Defence: On the upside, he has all the tools - length, quick feet laterally, quick hands. On the downside, played zone throughout his career, so his man defence is something of a mystery. There's certainly risk in this area, if not a clear weakness.
        Other: His age (he'll be 22 by the time the season starts) makes his weight a potential issue - if he hasn't filled out by now, might not ever, which could mean he is undersized throughout his career. Add that to the lack of scouting on his individual defence and he might get bullied on that end.

Norman Powell, SG, 21 years old, 43rd in DX Top 100
        Measurements: 6'4", 215 lbs, 6'11" wingspan, 41" max vert
        Scouting report:
        Athleticism: Incredible athlete, amazing leaping ability and strength for a guard. Great length, if short for his position. Very quick first step.
        Offence: First and foremost a slasher. Uses his athleticism to drive head first into the defence, and is very effective playing above the rim even in traffic. Very poor shooter, poor mechanics, tends to hesitate on his jumper. Gets tunnel vision when he drives, poor passing in general. Also not a great ball handler.
        Defence: Has all the tools but is only an average defender. Tends to gamble too much, and is only a decent rebounder considering his physical attributes. Heavy workload offensively may play into it as he was a very good defender in previous years.

Rashad Vaughn, SG, 18 years old, 45th in DX Top 100
        Measurements: 6'5", 199 lbs, 6'7" wingspan, 34" max vert
        Scouting report:
        Athleticism: Smooth athlete, nothing spectacular. Not explosive, average quickness. Good strength.
        Offence: Very good shooter (38% from 3) and from all over the floor. Can create his own shot, shoot off screens and spot up equally effectively. Very good at creating space for midrange jumpers. Has strength to finish in the lane and draws fouls well, and has a nice floater. Can score every which way but loose, rare for such a young player. That said, very poor shot selection - takes many tough shots instead of passing, fadeaways and contested jumpers. Poor passing vision on the rare occasion he does look for a teammate. Not a great ball handler, tends to dribble in straight line drives, depending on his strength to bully past opponents, and his step back to get himself open shots.
        Defence: Another guy who has all the tools but not the mentality. Part of a terrible defensive team, so coaching might play into it, but was often blown by, not in a proper stance, lacked awareness.
        Other: Questions about whether he can play a less selfish game, or be more disciplined defensively. But at his age, someone will take a swing at him, because if you can correct his shot selection and defensive focus, he's much better than the position he'll be drafted at. Said to have a great work ethic, but also sees himself as a star even if his performance doesn't quite line up with that view.

Michael Qualls, SG, 21 years old, 39th in DX Top 100
        Measurements: 6'5", 201 lbs, 7'0" wingspan, 40" max vert
        Scouting report:
        Athleticism: Good athlete - decent quickness and speed, strong and very explosive leaped.
        Offence: Decent shooter, mostly in catch and shoot - not very effective shooting off the dribble. OK on the drive, but lacks ball handling skills, so relies on explosiveness to get past his man in a straight line. Can draw fouls well. Good offensive rebounder for a wing. Poor passer and turns the ball over a good deal when asked to do to much on the ball.
        Defence: Not super quick, but very aggressive. This forces turnovers, but also gets him blown by and chasing his man a lot. His length helps him out here, but even with that he's an average defender at best. More discipline could get him above average, but his lack of elite quickness will leave him short of a stopper.

Hmm, not a great class of shooting guards here. Vaughn is intriguing - young, seems like a DeMar clone except can hit the three. Hunter can shoot but he's a complete question mark defensively and he's already 22. Booker is interesting, he's sold as a low upside pick but at 18 years old who knows? None of them are perfect and I'm not sold on any, but those three are the three I'll be holding onto for a final big board.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• SG sucks this year...unless you think Russell is a SG...but he is out of raps range.

NEXT!!!

Comment

SG sucks this year...unless you think Russell is a SG...but he is out of raps range.

NEXT!!!
            Patience mcHAPPY - I'll get to your PF's soon enough.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• man i'm a huge Booker fan. if he fell to 20 i'd be all over that.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                In any case, my starting point tends to be the draftexpress mock drafts, as they are the best in the biz, and that's where I get most of my scouting info on the prospects. But to avoid any mis-steps, I also look at NBAdraft.net's mock. They are usually less accurate than DX, but not always.

This year, I'm going to add a few more mocks in to make sure we don't miss anyone obvious. I'll grab Basketball Insiders' 4 mocks and CBS' 3 mocks. I'd grab ESPN's, but that's insider.
                ESPN's latest post-lottery mock, for those wondering:

1. Towns
                2. Okafor
                3. Russell
                4. Mudiay
                5. Porzingis
                6. Cauley-Stein
                7. Winslow
                8. Hezonja
                9. Booker
                10. Johnson
                11. Turner
                12. Lyles
                13. Kaminsky
                14. Payne
                15. Dekker
                16. Looney
                17. Oubre
                18. Jones
                19. Portis
                20. Grant
                21. Hunter
                22. Wright
                23. Harrell
                24. Hollis-Jefferson
                25. Wood
                26. Anderson
                27. Vaughn
                28. McCullough
                29. Rozier
                30. Michael Frazier II

Comment

• Guys in 20 range I like:

Looney
                  Portis
                  Grant
                  Hunter
                  Wood
                  RHJ

Wouldn't mind trading down to get Rozier.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post

1. Towns
                    2. Okafor
                    3. Russell
                    4. Mudiay
                    5. Porzingis
                    6. Cauley-Stein
                    7. Winslow
                    8. Hezonja
                    9. Booker
                    10. Johnson
                    11. Turner
                    12. Lyles
                    13. Kaminsky
                    14. Payne
                    15. Dekker
                    16. Looney
                    17. Oubre
                    18. Jones
                    19. Portis
                    20. Grant
                    21. Hunter
                    22. Wright
                    23. Harrell
                    24. Hollis-Jefferson
                    25. Wood
                    26. Anderson
                    27. Vaughn
                    28. McCullough
                    29. Rozier
                    30. Michael Frazier II
                    Geez, no body has any clue where Lyles is going ... NBAdraft.net has him #9, ESPN has him #12, and DraftExpress has him at #17. If he dropped to 20, would people take him over a few of the other PFs?

Comment

If he dropped to 20, would people take him over a few of the other PFs?
                      If he drops to 20 he's a no-brainer pick unless somehow a superior lottery-level pick drops even further (which won't happen). The reason some mocks have him going top 10 is because he's a really smart player and hasn't mastered his own body yet (which will happen) and has room to go in terms of strength. He's lottery-quality and if he drops he's the pick, and frankly him being Canadian is a marketing boon for the Raps.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post

1. Towns
                        2. Okafor
                        3. Russell
                        4. Mudiay
                        5. Porzingis
                        6. Cauley-Stein
                        7. Winslow
                        8. Hezonja
                        9. Booker
                        10. Johnson
                        11. Turner
                        12. Lyles
                        13. Kaminsky
                        14. Payne
                        15. Dekker
                        16. Looney
                        17. Oubre
                        18. Jones
                        19. Portis
                        20. Grant
                        21. Hunter
                        22. Wright
                        23. Harrell
                        24. Hollis-Jefferson
                        25. Wood
                        26. Anderson
                        27. Vaughn
                        28. McCullough
                        29. Rozier
                        30. Michael Frazier II

Grant dropping that far would be awesome. And where Lyles ends up will probably be one of the more interesting stories on draft night.

And I want to trade up for Hezonja so badly.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Geez, no body has any clue where Lyles is going ... NBAdraft.net has him #9, ESPN has him #12, and DraftExpress has him at #17. If he dropped to 20, would people take him over a few of the other PFs?
                          If Lowry and DD were traded on draft night for prospects and picks, a great way to deflect a lot of criticism is to draft a Canuck, eh?

Comment

If Lowry and DD were traded on draft night for prospects and picks, a great way to deflect a lot of criticism is to draft a Canuck, eh?
                            dear god please

Comment

• DanH I was enjoying the position detail. Awaiting SF..
                              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Small Forwards

koncept wrote: View Post
                                DanH I was enjoying the position detail. Awaiting SF..
                                Hold your horses!

Continuing our look at draft prospects. Most info from Draftexpress.

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, 23, SF
                                Justin Anderson, 26, SF
                                Jarell Martin, 29, SF/PF

Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, SF, 20 years old, 13th in DX Top 100
                                Measurements: 6'7", 211 lbs, 7'2" wingspan, 38" max vert
                                Scouting report:
                                Athleticism: Great athlete; strong, explosive, quick, long. Plays with very high energy as well. Complete package in this area.
                                Offence: Plays well above the rim, can finish through contact and draws fouls at a very high rate (highest of any SF in the draft). Can't create for himself, lack of ball handling skills, drives in straight lines. Terrible shooter, both from midrange and from 3. Poor and inconsistent mechanics.
                                Defence: Magnificent defender. True stopper on the wing, with the strength to defend in the post if needed. Great lateral quicks to stay in front of his man, has a James-Johnson-esque ability to block jumpers as well.
                                Other: Currently projects as a role player in the NBA due to complete lack of offence. Would need to add a jumper to be more than that, or drastically improve his ball handling skills.

Justin Anderson, SF, 21 years old, 23rd in DX Top 100
                                Measurements: 6'6", 231 lbs, 7'0" wingspan, 43" max vert
                                Scouting report:
                                Athleticism: Amazing athlete; good quickness and strength, incredibly explosive.
                                Offence: Big improvement from him offensively in his final year - developed a 3 point shot - and a good one (45%). Especially good on the catch, but can shoot off the dribble as well. Form has improved noticeably, so the improvement is probably real and not a lucky streak. Not an on-ball creator, not a strong dribbler. Can drive past defenders closing out too fast, but not much beyond that. Doesn't set up offence with passes, but has improved his shot selection, knowing when to move the ball rather than take a tough shot, while also reducing his turnovers.
                                Defence: Very good defender, and a key player on a tremendous defensive team. Very good at using his strength and quicks to keep his man in front of him, and has tremendous recovery speed (both back to the perimeter and beating his man to the rim to contest when he gets beat). A little raw in defensive fundamentals (can be beat sometimes due to incorrect positioning or body angle) but he is another high energy defender who will make up for his mistakes.
                                Other: Looks like an ideal 3 and D prospect. If there's no one with high potential left, that's always a good thing to have. And his recent improvement might point to a bigger role being possible down the road.

Jarell Martin, SF/PF, 21 years old, 27th in DX Top 100
                                Measurements: 6'8", 239 lbs, 6'10" wingspan, 35" max vert
                                Scouting report:
                                Athleticism: Good athlete, quick for his size, average length and quite strong.
                                Offence: Versatile game. Can face up and hit jumpers out to the midrange, but is pretty ineffective from 3. Good in the post, if raw (and he doesn't go there enough), and gets to the line a lot. Struggles from the line (<70%) and has poor mechanics wherever he shoots it from.
                                Defence: Not a good defender. Poor instincts, poor focus, and struggles in the post against bigger players and on the perimeter against smaller players. Commits way too many fouls. Also a very poor rebounder for his size.
                                Other: Worst kind of tweener - stuck between the 3 and 4 spots, too slow for one and too small for the other, and doesn't do anything exceptionally to make up for it.

Not a lot of options here. Hard pass on Martin for me. I know a lot of people love RHJ, but I think his best case is as a defensive role player, and you can get guys like that on the free agent market for reasonable deals anytime (see Johnson, James). And he seems even more limited offensively than JJ or Fields are, not even a capable ball handler. My pick from this group is definitely Anderson. Can shoot (always good), can defend almost to the level RHJ does (also good), and has improved a lot recently, which might bode well for further untapped potential - his floor seems like a 3+D guy (which is rare enough) and his ceiling seems higher than the alternatives.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X