The Raptors and the 2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJF wrote: View Post
    He is 22, but his game is NBA ready. What are the holes in his scouting report you are worried about? Offensively he is ready to run and NBA team. There are questions about his focus on defense, relying on great instincts and quick hands rather than getting in a stance, but that is easily correctable, its not like he is a Vasquez clone on D. I am sure leading up to the draft he will be working on strength as well, one of the other areas of concern. I think some of the his criticism stems from him playing over 37 minutes a game of a 40 minute game, who wants to fight through screens and be the primary scorer/ball handler, dude needed a rest.
    Struggles scoring inside unless he is getting fouled. Only an OK shooter from range. And the defensive questions.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Struggles scoring inside unless he is getting fouled. Only an OK shooter from range. And the defensive questions.
      He did not shoot a great percentage from 3 as a senior, but look at his body of work, 35.4% as a freshman, 34.4 as a sophomore, and 40.8 as a junior. He can shoot the ball. He may not be a great finisher around the hoop when contested, but he does not rely on getting into the paint to be effective. As for his defense, the only questions are consistent effort, his strengths list defensive instincts...so which is it?
      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• My ideal draft night I think would be somehow trading up to get Trey Lyles. He just seems exactly like what we need to replace Amir. He's got perfect size for the 4, and is a very smart player. Though I have absolutely no confidence in our Coaching Staffs ability to develop him ..
        Last edited by Joey; Sat May 23, 2015, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
          My ideal draft night I think would be somehow trading up to get Trey Lyles. He just seems exactly like what we need to replace Amir. He's got perfect size for the 4, and is a very smart player. Though I have absolutely no confidence in our Coaching Staffs ability to develop him ..
          The problem with Lyles is that he's essentially a taller 2pat. Bad rebounder and defender
          Last edited by Joey; Sat May 23, 2015, 12:39 PM. Reason: Fixed for ya.
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

He did not shoot a great percentage from 3 as a senior, but look at his body of work, 35.4% as a freshman, 34.4 as a sophomore, and 40.8 as a junior. He can shoot the ball. He may not be a great finisher around the hoop when contested, but he does not rely on getting into the paint to be effective. As for his defense, the only questions are consistent effort, his strengths list defensive instincts...so which is it?
            Peronally I like to stay away from guys who have issue's giving effort on defense. And he's already 22 so it's not likes he's a 19 years old who's still immature.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
              The problem with Lyles is that he's essentially a taller 2pat. Bad rebounder and defender
              Well he played out of position at Kentucky ALL last year, and behind some serious size, so I think fair that his rebounding numbers took a hit.

On the flip side, I think playing out of position helped him defensively, as he had to work a lot more with his feet and being comfortable moving to the perimeter. Not to mention he wasn't terrible defensively for Kentucky. And I think he would only be better playing at his natural position. The guy is only 19, so assuming he is developed properly, I don't think there's anything he couldn't do as a pro. He's almost like Tim Duncan in how he plays, and I love it.

Comment

All good points. I certainly agree that if you are going for a more established talent he far outpaces guys like Jones. And defensive effort can be a red flag, even high usage considerations considered.

None the less, he is certainly intriguing. When I consolidate at the end I'll probably include him as a likely pick, even I personally skew to the younger guys.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  All good points. I certainly agree that if you are going for a more established talent he far outpaces guys like Jones. And defensive effort can be a red flag, even high usage considerations considered.

None the less, he is certainly intriguing. When I consolidate at the end I'll probably include him as a likely pick, even I personally skew to the younger guys.
                  Same,

Imagine if Payne or Lucas were 22 right now? I'd bet they'd be better than Grant is.

I wouldn't mind taking Grant but with the way MU likes to construct his roster with younger players on the bench, It's not likely he'd choose Grant.

Comment

• Only way I see Grant being a possibility is if one of Lowry or Vasquez are going to be gone for next season.

I don't think a 23 year old (when the season starts) 3rd string PG is an ideal situation.

If you want to draft a guy to contribute right away, there has to be minutes.

Comment

Same,

Imagine if Payne or Lucas were 22 right now? I'd bet they'd be better than Grant is.

I wouldn't mind taking Grant but with the way MU likes to construct his roster with younger players on the bench, It's not likely he'd choose Grant.
                      Payne Turns 21 in August, not a huge age gap....I do like Payne way more than Lucas though and would be appy if we are picking a PG to get him. Lucas I just don't want to touch.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Payne Turns 21 in August, not a huge age gap....I do like Payne way more than Lucas though and would be appy if we are picking a PG to get him. Lucas I just don't want to touch.
                        It's a 2 year gap between Payne and Grant.

At 20 I wouldn't draft Lucas but if we aquire a late 1st or early second and we have to Dleague team ready, I believe he's worth the risk.

Comment

• Wood said he has met with Philadelphia, Denver, Atlanta, Golden State, Utah and Minnesota during the interview process at the NBA draft combine. The combine concludes Friday at the Quest Multisport Complex.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/303888351.html
                          No Raptors

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            No Raptors
                            Doesn't mean much - a lot of teams run their own interviews at their own predraft workouts if they don't have time for everybody at the combine.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Same,

Years ago, I would have bet that Ross would have ended up better than DeRozan too. Sometimes age and a little more certainty can be a good thing.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                No Raptors
                                I wouldn't read much into that. I think combine interviews tend to be about guys that you aren't sure whether you're going to work-out or not. If Ujiri has already decided he definitely wants to work out Wood, or definitely doesn't, he probably wouldn't interview him.

There are no teams currently owning draft picks between 15th and 30th interviewing him, and Wood getting drafted outside of that range would be a big surprise. Probably Utah and Atlanta see him as too big a reach right now, but a good interview might put him on their radar. The other teams would probably be in more of a position where they'd only consider him if they were trading into his likely range or if he dropped to late first early second round.

Comment

Working...
                                X