The Raptors and the 2015 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I don't know if he said there's no talent. He said it's a deep draft and they'll see what they can get hopefully a small forward or power forward. Obviously with the 20th pick you're not expected to get a superstar just a player that can stay in the league and if you're fortunate exceed expectations. Being realistic is now equal to quitting. You need to change your handle dude.
    Also, reverse psychology. He could easily say this with something bigger in mind, like trading up or down.

Some posters have their own agenda and like to assume it as fact. For all the hype guys like Presti, Morey and others get for being "great" GM's, how many titles have these guys won? You guessed it! Zero.

If you're only in this whole Raptors-fan thing for championships alone, you're going to be disappointed way more often than not. The NBA is probably the toughest league to win in, given the 5-5 nature and minutes played by star players, hence the reason you see the same teams dominate year-after-year... they are the teams with the best players.

Constant ragging on a guy that is heading into year 3 of what is normally a 5 year run is just getting old. We have no idea what he's going to do with the roster this off-season or next, so what's the point in saying "he's terrible and blah blah blah" right now?

Too many people believe there's such a quick fix out there. Do you think Masai is not doing his do-diligence? I'm sure he knew ownership would not like him firing his coach 1 year after giving him a 3 year extension, which was well-deserved at the time. This year is truly the first year where he can put his own plan into motion and make this Masai's team. Has he had other opportunities to do this in the past 2 years? Yes, but it also bit him in the butt where the team overachieved for the most part of a full calendar year. Do I agree with keeping Casey? No. But I'm going to at least give Masai the benefit of the doubt and work towards his goal of making this a real contender in the '16-'17 season. Realistically, I doubt this will happen, but I believe he deserves the opportunity without being chastised as he is. 48 and 49 win seasons, both club records, in his first 2 seasons allows him that opportunity.

Rant done...
    Last edited by Mack North; Fri May 15, 2015, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• BreakingBradStevens wrote: View Post
      What is your pro comparison for Hunter? I have had trouble with this one. Maybe like a poor man's Klay Thompson?
      I'm not very good with player comps but the Klay Thompson one seems to be popular. I don't see a way Hunter is available at 20 now though. Seems like Boston is really interested and he has helped his stock with good interviews and shooting well in the few workouts people have seen.

As for Cliff Alexander, I think he would be worth a second round pick. He would be a project but could be worth it. Never got a chance to adjust to college before he was put under investigation. I also heard that he can shoot from 10-15 feet (previously it was thought that he could only dunk) so I have hope that there is more that we havent seen from him.

Comment

• This guy...
        https://youtu.be/LNWPLM8vo4A
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          If the Raptors can:

1) draft one of Looney or Wood at 20
          2) trade Ross for a late 1st round pick to nab de Paula
          3) have their D-League team ready to go
          4) get one solid free agent

....I will be able to forgive Casey returning along with Lowry and DD*.

*But mainly only because I'll be following the D-League team.
          The GSW pick seems very attainable with future 2nd rounder(s), they won't likely want the guaranteed salary of a 1st rounder on the books as they try to keep Green.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Damn I liked this guy...

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              My problem is we already have James Johnson, who is a way better offensive player by the way. I see Hollis-Jefferson as MKG with even less of an offensive game.

Comment

• I think Justin Anderson is intriguing as a SF candidate. 6'6 with a 6'11 wing span, 231lbs and a good athlete. Shoots 47.9 2FG% and a 45.2 3pt% and a very good defender. He has all the tools.

Plan A is to move up and get Portis
                Plan B is to draft this kid
                Last edited by saints91; Fri May 15, 2015, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
                  My problem is we already have James Johnson, who is a way better offensive player by the way. I see Hollis-Jefferson as MKG with even less of an offensive game.
                  RHJ reminds me too much of Deandre Daniels. If we do plan to bring DD over, it wouldn't make sense to have Jefferson.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                    I think Justin Anderson is intriguing as a SF candidate. 6'6 with a 6'11 wing span, 231lbs and a good athlete. Shoots 47.9 2FG% and a 45.2 3pt% and a very good defender. He has all the tools.

Plan A is to move up and get Portis
                    Plan B is to draft this kid
                    Anderson hurt his hand last season and when he came back, he could not regain his shooting touch. Landry Fields all over again?

Comment

• Porzingis getting some love on nba.com, suggesting he could really shake up the top of the draft.

Kristaps Porzingis, a smooth-shooting power forward from Latvia, has emerged as a serious threat to break into the top three of the June 25 draft in a potential serious shakeup to the long-held perception the top four spots are set, with some executives at the pre-draft combine here saying Porzingis could go second.

"He could go two," one general manager said. "He's that good. Nobody says anything bad about him."

Said the head of basketball operations for another team: "I think he's a lock for the top five and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as high as top three. He's good. We all like to do our comparables. He's like Dirk Nowitzki or Pau Gasol..... I'd take him ahead of (Jahlil) Okafor."

But teams considering the 7-footer with three-point range as a realistic possibility for the top three is the first sign in months that the top of the board is not a lock with, in some order, big men Karl-Anthony Towns of Kentucky and Okafor of Duke or guards D'Angelo Russell of Ohio State and Emmanuel Mudiay, who attended high school in Texas but played this season in China. The situation will become clearer once the order for the top 14 is set with the lottery on Tuesday night.
                      Also from that piece, on Wood

--- Christian Wood, a 6-10 ½ projected power forward, has been studying film of Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo, hoping to go from a big man who could handle the ball at UNLV to an unusually large point forward in the NBA. Antetokounmpo is different -- the Bucks have considered using him extensively at point guard. But Wood, No. 23 in the NBA.com rankings, knows he can enhance his stock if teams believe he can bring that unique dimension from the front court.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        Porzingis getting some love on nba.com, suggesting he could really shake up the top of the draft.

Also from that piece, on Wood
                        I really hope we can grab Wood. Really badly.
                        "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                        "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                          Well, DX and nbadraft.net both have him in the late 20s.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                            Phrasing

Comment

• Casey has no faith in rookies. The draft doesn't work all that well for teams that don't give their rookies a chance to develop with playing time. This is all too evident in watching Clint Capella get significant playoff minutes for Houston against two of the best bigs in the league. Capella was taken 25th in last year's draft.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                                Casey has no faith in rookies. The draft doesn't work all that well for teams that don't give their rookies a chance to develop with playing time. This is all too evident in watching Clint Capella get significant playoff minutes for Houston against two of the best bigs in the league. Capella was taken 25th in last year's draft.
                                Not to nitpick but the Rockets were forced into it. With Motiejunas out their only bigs are Dwight, Jones and Smith. They had to play a fourth big so it was Capela or Dorsey.

Also, them having their own d-league team is the reason Capela improved so much. He got nearly no minutes with the Rockets a couple weeks before the playoffs

Comment

Working...
                                X