Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should the Raptors do? (Stay the course or make a change)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    We'll see...roster and cap situation complicate things. We don't have an open spot. And if we just waived someone, I think then signing Okafor would push us into the tax (*not sure though), which this season it seems they want to avoid. So we'd ideally have to open a roster spot in a 2-for-1 trade, and in the process also create enough cap wiggle room to stay under the tax.
    The other option would be to dump an expiring contract with a 2nd round pick (can put conditions on it to make it essentially not even part of the trade) and cash, to a team like Philly at/after the trade deadline. That would free up both a roster spot and cap space to sign a guy like Okafor, since his contract would be pro-rated for half a season or whatever.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      Where is the 'tank' option?
      Tank would fall under the very broad option of "make a change"

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        I think he'd be a good addition to the team. Much better than Chuck Hayes at the very least. Worth a shot when he's ready?
        come on man, thats ridiculous. your better then that.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          I think he'd be a good addition to the team. Much better than Chuck Hayes at the very least. Worth a shot when he's ready?
          If we sign Emeka Okafor, JV won't play fourth quarter minutes until 2024.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
            If we sign Emeka Okafor, JV won't play fourth quarter minutes until 2024.
            Okafor probably only has 2-3 years left in him. JV might be ready for fourth quarter minutes in 2017..
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              It worked. We dumped our high-priced star (Salmons) for a veteran (Williams) and a prospect (Bebe), then used our draft pick to snag a young stud (Bruno). Textbook.

3...2...1... release the hounds (cue Nilanka with the graphic...)

but but but he trolled first... lol

Legal Notice: The poster did not suggest tanking for home or recreational use, nor does he endorse or denounce the application of such a strategy in any way, shape or form, without the express written consent of Masai Ujiri. This post is not affiliated with the Toronto Raptors, Raptors Republic, or anybody who supports troll-free chatting. Have a nice day.
              lol, sorry I'm late to the party.

As for tanking, did anyone hear Jeff Weltman's interview on TSN Radio earlier this week? He flat out said that after the 6-12 start, they were looking to ship Lowry in order to lose more games. I hope this FINALLY puts the tanking debate to rest (in terms of management's intent last year).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                lol, sorry I'm late to the party.

As for tanking, did anyone hear Jeff Weltman's interview on TSN Radio earlier this week? He flat out said that after the 6-12 start, they were looking to ship Lowry in order to lose more games. I hope this FINALLY puts the tanking debate to rest (in terms of management's intent last year).
                Was there really any debate on management's intent to tank, following the Gay trade? Lowry was the next domino and was pretty much traded to the Knicks. That's all public record, I think.

Oh, and remember Iblastoff's awesome avatar. Lowry halting the tank... Tianamen square style. That pretty much sums up last season, right there.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                  Was there really any debate on management's intent to tank, following the Gay trade? Lowry was the next domino and was pretty much traded to the Knicks. That's all public record, I think.

Oh, and remember Iblastoff's awesome avatar. Lowry halting the tank... Tianamen square style. That pretty much sums up last season, right there.
                  There's a small group of regulars who still aren't convinced. Acknowledging that Masai "The Saviour" Ujiri had the same game plan as the pro-tank movement, is a tough pill to swallow

Comment

Raps need a high quality PF. I like Amir, but his body has taken a lot of abuse, so I'd prefer AJ comes off the Bench.

In respect to JV (and his relationship to a high quality PF).... I think we are on the cusp of seeing an All-Star Centre. Jonas was a great move by BC. And while Colangelo was vilified by the collective minds of Raptor fans (at the end), BC basically sacrificed his time with Toronto, when he selected JV (knowing he wasn't coming right away).

Not to belittle what Masai has down in perfecting this Raptor team, but the essential ingredients - Casey, Lowry, Derozan, Jonas, Amir (contract), Ross, and JJ (with a return stay) - are a function of Brian Colangelo.

Comment

• RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
                      Raps need a high quality PF. I like Amir, but his body has taken a lot of abuse, so I'd prefer AJ comes off the Bench.

In respect to JV (and his relationship to a high quality PF).... I think we are on the cusp of seeing an All-Star Centre. Jonas was a great move by BC. And while Colangelo was vilified by the collective minds of Raptor fans (at the end), BC basically sacrificed his time with Toronto, when he selected JV (knowing he wasn't coming right away).

Not to belittle what Masai has down in perfecting this Raptor team, but the essential ingredients - Casey, Lowry, Derozan, Jonas, Amir (contract), Ross, and JJ (with a return stay) - are a function of Brian Colangelo.

I think BC's greatest mistake was his 'accelerated rebuild' the year JV was playing in Europe. If there was ever a Raptors season that just begged for a tank, that was it. Unfortunately, that highlighted BC's inability to stick to any plan beyond a single season. In fairness, we have no idea what word came from above, but that was my personal turning point for BC's tenure as Raptors GM. Although only ever a 25% long-shot at best, I drool at the prospect of a JV-Davis front-court pairing growing together... but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I think BC's greatest mistake was his 'accelerated rebuild' the year JV was playing in Europe. If there was ever a Raptors season that just begged for a tank, that was it. Unfortunately, that highlighted BC's inability to stick to any plan beyond a single season. In fairness, we have no idea what word came from above, but that was my personal turning point for BC's tenure as Raptors GM. Although only ever a 25% long-shot at best, I drool at the prospect of a JV-Davis front-court pairing growing together... but alas, it wasn't meant to be.
                        I think we'd all be crying if that turned into a Jonas/Kidd-Gilchrist pairing instead

Comment

But he actually said in an interview this summer, when discussing the 76ers, that he was tanking for Anthony Davis, but somehow we ended up 8th.

Comment

• Dino4life wrote: View Post
                            But he actually said in an interview this summer, when discussing the 76ers, that he was tanking for Anthony Davis, but somehow we ended up 8th.
                            B.C even sucked at Tanking loooool
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                              That's just it. He filled out the roster with guys like Rasual Butler, Aaron gray, Gary Forbes, Alabi, Alan Anderson. Not exactly trying to win. Only thing he didn't do to tank was doing the 100% disgusting Sixers route.

Comment

Working...
                              X