Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should the Raptors do? (Stay the course or make a change)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should the Raptors do? (Stay the course or make a change)

Based on make up of current Raps team, the window is open for at least another 3-4 seasons (essentially basing this estimation on Lowry/Amir and typical career trajectories). Outside of Lowry/Amir, the window is open for much longer.

Based on this vague assumption, this season what would you rather:

a) Stay the course (i.e. lets see what we have this season with roster as is and wait for offseason)

or

b) Make a change (i.e. hit the trade market with expirings, Ross, and possible draft picks at disposal before deadline)?
    Stay the course and wait for offseason
    75.44%
    Make changes before the trade deadline
    24.56%

The season is going good, the guys love each other, there's no reason to rock the boat without a clear upgrade.
    There are no disgruntled all-stars at the moment, so whatever we would have to trade to get one, would be at best a step sideways, and more likely a step backwards.

Hansbrough
    Fields
    stiemsa
    2015 1st rounder or 1 2016 of the 2 (we can't find time for the brazilians, skipping this year might be a good thing)
    Lou williams ( He MIGHT be the reason vasquez struggles)

Whatever that can get us sure, anything else is just not worth it at this point.

edit: The cleveland game just happened, take williams off that list, and double my vote on staying the course
    Last edited by Dino4life; Sat Nov 22, 2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I'd stay the course. No need to do anything drastic. More important to make the right move over the "now" move.

Is it possible that move becomes available during this season? Sure, but I highly doubt it. If it does, by all means, I have no problem with Masai jumping in and getting such a thing done. However even there I'm skeptical any move that's big enough wouldn't seriously compromise the quality of talent/depth left behind in the aftermath.

Not worth trading for a rental (as expiring guys are often the most likely to be on the market), and given we'll have capspace this coming summer, I'd like to have the maximum amount of assets along with that. Not saying the "right" move can be made this summer either, but to me, that's still when the window for changes really opens.

Also this team is still young and has only been together for just under a year (counting post-Rudy trade). By the summer they'll have had nearly 2 seasons together, and that seems like a more reasonable amount of time to evaluate the team and figure out what moves need to be made, if any.

*Oh, I'd also like to add that it's possible we don't need to make a move to compete for best in the East. And even if we made a move, it's unlikely to be a big step forward (given cost) that would put us on equal ground with the best teams out West. See how things play out and if this team can make a deep playoff run this year as currently constructed.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Nov 21, 2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Even though I'm tired of this frontcourt giving out career night every other game. I would say stick the course
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

With the number of assets (ie: multiple expiring contracts, extra future 1st round draft picks, etc...) available at MU's disposal, I would hope that he's always keeping a keen eye out for upgrades.

As others have said, I think a healthy Raptors squad can be in the thick of the race in the EC, so it's not like moves are needed this season.

Any trade should not be a shortsighted 'all in' move for this season, but if a deal can achieve that while still putting a priority on longer-term growth and sustainable success, I'm all for it.

For me, the biggest positional need/uncertainty, both for this season and into the future, is the PF spot. Amir's contract is expiring and I'm sure he'll demand a hefty raise, regardless of how much he loves Toronto. He may still be relatively young in age, but his body has loads of miles on it and his ankles could become chronic/career threatening at any moment. Patterson is a nice change-of-pace/stretch-4 off the bench, but I don't think he's a long-term answer at the starting PF spot.

I'm not completely sold on the overall makeup of the roster, when thinking about taking the leap to championship contender status, but there's no doubt that the current core has developed a good chemistry. Any trade, even one that could improve the team long-term, runs the risk of shaking up the chemistry in the short-term (especially if any core players are part of the deal).

Unless an offer comes along that blows MU away and is too good to pass up, I think tweaking for a playoff run will be the extent of the in-season moves made by MU. The uncertainty associated with the salary cap situation could really put a damper on all trade-deadline activity this season.

Comment

I suggest we make a change. I don't think we need to see any more out of Amir/Jonas to realize they're both lacking offensively.

A legit offensive threat in the frontcourt has been missing since Bosh's departure. I'm very curious to see what this roster would look like with a Horford/Millsap/Monroe type.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I suggest we make a change. I don't think we need to see any more out of Amir/Jonas to realize they're both lacking offensively.

A legit offensive threat in the frontcourt has been missing since Bosh's departure. I'm very curious to see what this roster would look like with a Horford/Millsap/Monroe type.
              But what do you give up to get Horford/Millsap/Monroe, everyone know we need help inside, but you'll just create a hole somewhere else, our bench is great but they are bench players, so you create a hole another hole in the starting lineup or destroy our bench.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post

It's pointless to go after Millsap or Monroe in season, since they'll be UFAs this summer.

And going after Horford would likely be so costly that it completely shifts the outlook of the roster in general, while he'll also be a free agent in 2016.

No problem waiting to find the right piece.

*And I think it's still too early to say that about Jonas. While he needs to sharpen his game, he's producing at levels of 16.1 pts, 11.6 reb, 2.1 blk per 36 (with the team featuring him largely in his weakest role as a post-up threat). He's not going to be the best offensive C in the league, but if he can produce in the 15-20 pts area, that's plenty. EDIT: It's also roughly the range Monroe (17.5 on more FGAs) and Horford (16.8 also on more FGAs) produce at per36.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Nov 21, 2014, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Wait and see. Unless a deal comes up that blows Masai's mind I say we wait and see. Lots of money coming off the books, still a 'growing' stage. Look to make a signing or be one piece away next summer going into the year we host the all-star game. This year is about building momentum and becoming an attractive place to play.
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                    But what do you give up to get Horford/Millsap/Monroe, everyone know we need help inside, but you'll just create a hole somewhere else, our bench is great but they are bench players, so you create a hole another hole in the starting lineup or destroy our bench.
                    Not sure what you give up. I was just answering the OP's question under the assumption that it takes expirings, Ross and/or future pick(s).

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    It's pointless to go after Millsap or Monroe in season, since they'll be UFAs this summer.

And going after Horford would likely be so costly that it completely shifts the outlook of the roster in general, while he'll also be a free agent in 2016.

No problem waiting to find the right piece.

*And I think it's still too early to say that about Jonas. While he needs to sharpen his game, he's producing at levels of 16.1 pts, 11.6 reb, 2.1 blk per 36 (with the team featuring him largely in his weakest role as a post-up threat). He's not going to be the best offensive C in the league, but if he can produce in the 15-20 pts area, that's plenty. EDIT: It's also roughly the range Monroe (17.5 on more FGAs) and Horford (16.8 also on more FGAs) produce at per36.
                    I only listed those 3 guys as examples of the "type" of player I'd like to see.

As for Jonas, I don't think he'll ever be the threat that I'm envisioning in my ideal roster (that is, the type of low-post player who'll make opposing defenses pay in single coverage).

Comment

I think it's attractive to stand pat and wait for the fat pitch, but I also think we have to remember that the playoffs are our audition for KD or other big free agents.

I doubt anyone would advocate for a drastic move considering our success so far, but I do think we should beware complacency. I still don't have a ton of faith in us making a deep playoff run the way things stand right now.

I think we'll get a better feel for our chances after facing the Cavs three times soon.

Comment

Option 3: Be opportunistic - which doesn't exactly fit the 2 choices given in the poll.

There's quite often some team panicking, or in some financial/ownership unrest, or having some disgruntled player situation, at some point during the season. You can never really predict those scenarios in advance. So, if a valuable player asset or draft pick becomes available at a discount price and it upgrades the team with upsetting the chemistry and hamstring flexibility, then why not?

Comment

I voted to make a change now. I'm happy with winning seasons, but there is nothing about the composition of this team or the talent on it which make me think they will be a title contender without a serious upgrade in talent. Not now or in the near future. I'm not talking something realistic like a David West type signing which may happen if we continue to make the franchise look more attractive to free agents. I'm referring to super start talent. Thosre are players you have to go out and get, and not hope they fall in your lap.

Comment

My vote goes to stand pat, with a qualifier of being opportunistic if a can't refuse deal comes up, which is hardly likely. Note standing pat this year does not make/break the summer and future years.

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                            I think it's attractive to stand pat and wait for the fat pitch, but I also think we have to remember that the playoffs are our audition for KD or other big free agents.

I doubt anyone would advocate for a drastic move considering our success so far, but I do think we should beware complacency. I still don't have a ton of faith in us making a deep playoff run the way things stand right now.

I think we'll get a better feel for our chances after facing the Cavs three times soon.
                            Don't mean to pick on you, but I see a couple of others with a similar thought process. Yours just has a little more detail to respond to.

"but I also think we have to remember that the playoffs are our audition for KD or other big free agents. "

I think you have to remember that this is a fan fantasy goal, and not necessarily a big part, if any, of the team's management perspective. Just to be clear.

"but I do think we should beware complacency"

Though a valid statement, in a general sense, it in no way reflects the current state of affairs with this team, unless you read that into a few naive fans thoughts, which isn't really relevant. As the actual team's management goes, working with this roster for a full season comes nowhere near complacency. They see it as part of the process of growing the team. I sure hope Masai doesn't turn into a quick fix GM. Aren't we all still bellyaching over the last one?

"I still don't have a ton of faith in us making a deep playoff run the way things stand right now."

And I'd bet you'd never get that from management or coaching staff either. I've no problem with the players demonstrating the confidence that they can accomplish that, but all you're going to get from management/coaching is that they're working toward longer term goals than how deep they go in this year's playoffs. Just because they say it's time to win, doesn't mean they see this year's playoffs as the end goal. Fans need to remember that, despite the excitement from how the team has started the season. If they do go deep and challenge contenders, GREAT, but the long term plans will ot be made/broke by how they do in the playoffs THIS YEAR. It's young team, remember?

"I think we'll get a better feel for our chances after facing the Cavs three times soon."

There's 71 games to go before the playoffs. 3 games vs 1 team, however they go, will not define what kind of shape this team will be in, and how they're playing come playoff time.

Comment

Most deals seem to happen in the summer now a days. You might see the odd trade happen by the deadline, but it's usually quiet.

There are question marks on the team.. GV has been awful. The rebounding has been bad. We have expiring contracts that probably won't be here next year and will need to figure out who's going to replace those bodies, etc.

So I can see MU using the phone to see what's out there, but I don't think a trade should be made just for the sake of making one. That's how BC operated, and in the end we always had a bad/mediocre team.

Expiring contracts don't really have as much value as they used to considering the cap is going up, and most contracts are 3-4 years long. There are no really bad contracts, and even if there was I wouldn't want the Raptors to own that contract. The team isn't really a contender (and if they made it to the 3rd/4th rounds that would be insane), but they are not a veteran laden team that has to win now.

I voted 'stay the course'.. if MU makes a move I'll be intrigued by it, but I personally won't be using the trade machine as often as I used to in previous seasons.

Comment

Working...
                              X