Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will we know how we REALLY stack up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will we know how we REALLY stack up?

With a 13-2 record (tied for best in the league), a top 2 offence and top 10 defense we are currently sitting pretty.

I am however going to err on the side of cautious optimism at this point. We have continuity and chemistry which along with our relatively easy early schedule can be very misleading as to where we really rank within the grand scheme of things. We still have very little idea of how good the Cavs/Bulls can be when they familiarize themselves with their new environments and lets not forget how lenient the East can be (we play the 76ers three more times this season).

I think that the earliest that we should re-evaluate the Raptors should be on January 5th, 2015 after we have face the Bulls, Clippers, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, and Warriors on a six game road trip. It will be our biggest test thus far, after which completed will have us at 33 games total on the year. My prediction is a record of 24-9, good for a top 5 record in the league.
    Last edited by Emanpop; Thu Nov 27, 2014, 05:08 AM.

Maybe as early as this Friday, depending on Dirk, Montae & Parsons. If they push us to the limit, we're gonna learn a lot about ourselves.

Comment

Suppose when we face spurs and teams like the Warriors. .

Comment

All questions will be answered at the end of February, when we face 6 western playoff teams, and the best of the east.
        We probably have to toughest schedule of the league during that month.

Home
        Jan 28 Sac
        Feb 6 Clippers
        Feb 8 Spurs
        Feb 11 Wizards
        Feb 27 Warriors
        March 4 Cavs

Road
        Jan 31 Wizards
        Feb 21 Rockets
        Feb 23 Pelicans
        Feb 24 Mavs

HM: Atlanta, Brooklyn, Milwaukee

Comment

January 4

December 22 road trip starts in Chicago

Games in GS, LAC, PHX, POR, DEN

Through holidays, lots of distractions, on the road

If they manage 4-2 or better, especially with win in Chicago, this team is so legit and contender in my books

Comment

Emanpop wrote: View Post
            With a 13-2 record (tied for best in the league), a top 2 offence and top 10 defense we are currently sitting pretty.

I am however going to err on the side of cautious optimism at this point. We have continuity and chemistry which along with our relatively easy early schedule can be very misleading as to where we really rank within the grand scheme of things. We still have very little idea of how good the Cavs/Bulls can be when they familiarize themselves with their new environments and lets not forget how lenient the East can be (we play the 76ers three more times this season).

I think that the earliest that we should re-evaluate the Raptors should be on January 5th, 2015 after we have face the Bulls, Clippers, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, and Warriors on a six game road trip. It will be our biggest test thus far, after which completed will have us at 33 games total on the year. My prediction is a record of 24-9, good for a top 5 record in the league.
            Here's what amazed me when I learned of it. The Raps are tied with Memphis for the second best record in the league since Dec. 9th last year, at 62 wins. That eliminates all the BS about the soft schedule since the start of this season. Unless you believe that somehow the Raps had a soft schedule from Dec. 9th until the end of last season and that somehow carried over to this point of this season. One game behind the Spurs record for wins. That was with Salmons playing the bulk of the 2013-2014 season and without JJ and Lou Will...62 games. The Raps are legit. We can say that now!

Comment

It's just going to take time to see if they can sustain something near this level of play. Right at this moment, they are playing the best basketball in the NBA. While I don't expect them to keep that up, if they can keep a pace close to this then they'll stack up very well.

I don't believe playing more good teams on tough road trips is going to give us a better idea. I think that how you play against good teams doesn't tell you any more during the regular season than how you play against bad teams. The Spurs were not great against other elite competition last year, and they turned out very well. If they keep the margin of victory up against mediocre teams, and stay in every game against the good to great teams, winning quite a few of them, that is enough to tell us they stack up pretty well.
              That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Emanpop wrote: View Post

That road trip is brutal. In years past we have lost all the road games. To go 3-3 will be good.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  January 4

December 22 road trip starts in Chicago

Games in GS, LAC, PHX, POR, DEN

Through holidays, lots of distractions, on the road

If they manage 4-2 or better, especially with win in Chicago, this team is so legit and contender in my books
                  All those games will be difficult. I believe at Denver is on the back end of a back to back. We just saw what happened to Chicago with same scenario this week. We are good but we shouldn't get too high. Even going 3-3 with a win at Chicago would tell me we are legit title contenders.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    All those games will be difficult. I believe at Denver is on the back end of a back to back. We just saw what happened to Chicago with same scenario this week. We are good but we shouldn't get too high. Even going 3-3 with a win at Chicago would tell me we are legit title contenders.
                    Yeah, the record isn't quite the total measuring stick.

That Chicago games is a must destroy game for me. I hope Raps feel the same way after getting embarrassed on national US TV.

Comment

I'm not sure if the raps will ever get recognition for our record. No matter whom we beat there is always an asterisk. Whether injuries or home court this team just does not get respect nationally. Even after we beat Milwaukee in round 1 it will seem to be 'should have won' matchup.

I know we can stack up with any team in the league. I think we have the best bench in the league and don't think we will ever we out of a game.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Here's what amazed me when I learned of it. The Raps are tied with Memphis for the second best record in the league since Dec. 9th last year, at 62 wins. That eliminates all the BS about the soft schedule since the start of this season. Unless you believe that somehow the Raps had a soft schedule from Dec. 9th until the end of last season and that somehow carried over to this point of this season. One game behind the Spurs record for wins. That was with Salmons playing the bulk of the 2013-2014 season and without JJ and Lou Will...62 games. The Raps are legit. We can say that now!
                        Unfortunately, you may not be far off. That's why you always have to look at a season as a whole. That's made more difficult by making a team altering trade mid season but it still holds. Maybe not since dec 9 last year but don't you remember all those charts around the all star break that showed the raps and the nets having the easiest schedule for the second half of the season? Add that to the "easy" start of this year and that's a disproportionate amount of easy games put into an arbitrary 82 game stretch over the parts of two seasons. That's the part that's holding me back. But, there were still a lot of games between dec 9th and the all star break last year so maybe there is more to it than just fool's gold

Comment

Once our season ends. Then we'll know how we really stack up

Comment

Its only been 15 games, when we get to 40 then you will get a better idea.

Comment

Thought 20 games was when Teams and Players generally project accurately.

Comment

Working...
                              X