Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we stop blaming DD now for taking away Ross/JV's opportunity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we stop blaming DD now for taking away Ross/JV's opportunity?

Seems like a lot of people use DeRozan's high usage and mediocre shot selection as an excuse for why T-Ross and JV aren't able to blossom into productive players. But he's not there right now and those two have EVERY opportunity to really show how great they can be right now, and they aren't taking advantage of it.

In 5 (4.5) games without DD, Jonas is playing horribly despite his minutes being increased to just shy of 30 a game (29.4):

9.6ppg, 8.4rpg on 43.2 FG%

And people wonder why this guy gets benched for 2Pat late in games. I love JV and want him to be successful, but he doesn't do anything right now that Amir can't do (and do better I might add) at the center spot. Meanwhile 2Pat provides the ability to stretch the floor while being able to guard PFs effectively and some slower 3s.

Same concept goes for Ross. While he's still been very efficient, he's not making any more impact on the game than he does normally which is unacceptable considering he's basically the #2 or 3 option on offense right now. His minutes have gone up to 30.6 a game over the last 5:

All he's doing is putting up 12.8ppg and 4rpg.

Idk why these guys are just standing around thinking that Lowry is gonna drop 40 every game to make up for DeMar's 20 every night. Both of these guys need to produce WAY more with this opportunity and show that they're actually worth a damn as prospects.

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
    Seems like a lot of people use DeRozan's high usage and mediocre shot selection as an excuse for why T-Ross and JV aren't able to blossom into productive players. But he's not there right now and those two have EVERY opportunity to really show how great they can be right now, and they aren't taking advantage of it.

In 5 (4.5) games without DD, Jonas is playing horribly despite his minutes being increased to just shy of 30 a game (29.4):

9.6ppg, 8.4rpg on 43.2 FG%

And people wonder why this guy gets benched for 2Pat late in games. I love JV and want him to be successful, but he doesn't do anything right now that Amir can't do (and do better I might add) at the center spot. Meanwhile 2Pat provides the ability to stretch the floor while being able to guard PFs effectively and some slower 3s.

Same concept goes for Ross. While he's still been very efficient, he's not making any more impact on the game than he does normally which is unacceptable considering he's basically the #2 or 3 option on offense right now. His minutes have gone up to 30.6 a game over the last 5:

All he's doing is putting up 12.8ppg and 4rpg.

Idk why these guys are just standing around thinking that Lowry is gonna drop 40 every game to make up for DeMar's 20 every night. Both of these guys need to produce WAY more with this opportunity and show that they're actually worth a damn as prospects.
    Well, for Ross's offence to to match his current talent it really is a matter of him not getting many plays called for him even with DD out. As much as we think he should be a driving player, that's not his game at the moment. He really can't create his own shots with any efficiency. Right now, his best offense is spot up shooting and the team doesn't run many plays to let him thrive off those shots. He's averaging maybe 9.5 FGA/game for that 12.8ppg. The team is not featuring his offence any more with DD out. DD's opportunities are mostly getting split between Lowry and GV.
    / Ros also getting benched from foul trouble and defense. So, yeah, he can improve. But, we all know that.
    @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

You know, sometimes i hate being right. But what did i say when DeRozan went down? some people here were so excited that Ross and JV will finally get their chance. And i said they're going to get exposed, JV specially because he's not as good as some of you people think. He's not "that guy" he's an energy guy. And i know i mentioned this name for months now, ROBIN LOPEZ. Thats the type of player JV is. Not a bad player to be compared to. Lopez is a good player who's having a better season than JV. Problem is, some people here expects JV to be the second coming of Wilt Chamberlain smh.

As for Ross, he's a good player when he's making his 3's. But when he's not making his 3's like last night, he's pretty much useless. 6 points 2 airballs last night.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TeamEd wrote: View Post
        The team is not featuring his offence any more with DD out. DD's opportunities are mostly getting split between Lowry and GV.
        This basically sums it all up. The OP is completely ignoring how the offence is run affects who gets what opportunities. People were hoping for some variations to the offence to take advantage of Ross/JV skills while DD is out. So far, we haven't seen that at all. This thread means nothing.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          You know, sometimes i hate being right. But what did i say when DeRozan went down? some people here were so excited that Ross and JV will finally get their chance. And i said they're going to get exposed, JV specially because he's not as good as some of you people think. He's not "that guy" he's an energy guy. And i know i mentioned this name for months now, ROBIN LOPEZ. Thats the type of player JV is. Not a bad player to be compared to. Lopez is a good player who's having a better season than JV. Problem is, some people here expects JV to be the second coming of Wilt Chamberlain smh.

As for Ross, he's a good player when he's making his 3's. But when he's not making his 3's like last night, he's pretty much useless. 6 points 2 airballs last night.
          JV has way more talent than Robin Lopez. I love what Lopez brings but he might be comparable to JV's floor, not his ceiling.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Blame can definitely be shifted from DeRozan.

It can fall squarely on Casey now.

Team is too ISO based with a lack of player and ball movement - it really is bad basketball at times.

While I'm not happy DeRozan got injured, the silver lining has not presented itself for Ross. He is still playing SF with the back up PGs taking over SG duties. He still has not had an opportunity at his true position. I don't think Ross is going to flourish in Toronto. A place like Atlanta or San Antonio would suit him very good as those team value ball movement and creating open catch and shoot opportunities - his strength.

As for JV, his numbers haven't been great but he is still managing a respectable 1.3 points per shot. 8.5 rebounds in under 30 minutes is nothing to scoff at either. The offense has hardly changed to give him more opportunities. He was averaging 7.5 shots pre injury and he is taking 7.5 shots post injury - despite an uptick in minutes. Sadly for JV it looks like someone American History X'ed his puppy. I don't know what his issue is but something isn't right. He does look stiff and slow and I would also add frustrated and mentally absent at times. He is doing nothing to help his cause and I can only hope he overcomes whatever is eating away at him. Luckily he has always started each year slow so hopefully he gets some momentum going soon - so there is still hope for the season.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...012350662.html

The similarities to Mark Jackson is eery.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post

No idea how this this relevant to the topic. Are you saying Casey doesn't have good assistants?

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                  No idea how this this relevant to the topic. Are you saying Casey doesn't have good assistants?
                  Caseys assistant were replaced by management and he runs isolation set with guards. Mark Jackson improved the GSW defense won 50 games (twice) and won first round series and was a terrible coach. Casey has done less and is worse

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post

That's rough.

One ray of hope is that Casey's problem likely (I don't know the man) has less to do with ego and more to do with knowledge. He's still relatively new at this and has a lot to learn. If the offense hasn't made a turnaround by next season, I'd cut my ties and find someone else. But, if he shows growth and development? Well, there really is something to be said for chemistry, and he has that with these players (save Valenciunas) right now.

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
                      That's rough.

One ray of hope is that Casey's problem likely (I don't know the man) has less to do with ego and more to do with knowledge. He's still relatively new at this and has a lot to learn. If the offense hasn't made a turnaround by next season, I'd cut my ties and find someone else. But, if he shows growth and development? Well, there really is something to be said for chemistry, and he has that with these players (save Valenciunas) right now.
                      Before the change the players all loved Jackson. Pro players like consistency.

Comment

I do think it would do this team well to find a better coach.
                        #KevinOllieIsTheOne
                        #FuckYourNeo

Comment

Knock Tristan Thompson on his ass, grab a fucking rebound or get a hand up on Carlos fucking Boozer and maybe will talk about running a play for you, JV.

You guys having a pity party for JV make me sick. Stop treating JV like a DOTA character that the rest of the team is responsible for levelling up.

At some point, he has to prove through energy, assertiveness, and physicality, that he deserves a bigger role on the team. Right now he's a 7'0 player that plays smaller than Kyle Lowry. Think about that. Lowry is more physical than JV.

What I would love to see, more than anything, is JV get pissed off and use all 6 of his fouls. I want him to start taking the game personally again. Drop your shoulder in the post and just run over some dudes.
                          Last edited by bryan colangelo; Sat Dec 6, 2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

JV's usage has gone down since DD went down. Seems insane. Yes, he's struggled (a bit) relative to his usually awesome efficiency, but to say he has gotten more opportunity since DD's injury and has failed to produce is not true - he's gotten less opportunity (more minutes but sees even less of the ball) and failed to produce.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                              Knock Tristan Thompson on his ass, grab a fucking rebound or get a hand up on Carlos fucking Boozer and maybe will talk about running a play for you, JV.

You guys having a pity party for JV make me sick. Stop treating JV like a DOTA character that the rest of the team is responsible for levelling up.

At some point, he has to prove through energy, assertiveness, and physicality, that he deserves a bigger role on the team. Right now he's a 7'0 player that plays smaller than Kyle Lowry. Think about that. Lowry is more physical than JV.

What I would love to see, more than anything, is JV get pissed off and use all 6 of his fouls. I want him to start taking the game personally again. Drop your shoulder in the post and just run over some dudes.
                              JV wasn't on the court for 7 of the 9 Off Boards grabbed by Thompson. The other 2 came in a flurry at 4:40 in the third where Thompson grabbed an off board, went back up and got his shot blocked by JV and came down with the ball.

So there is his 2 off boards on JV. One real one and one from getting blocked.

Most of Thompson's success came on Patterson.

Comment

Working...
                              X