Smart Watches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Watches

Who's getting one? Better yet, who has one?

I've been researching these things off and on for a couple months. Now that I've seen what Apple has up it's sleeve I know there is no game changer curve ball on the horizon just yet. So, I'm going to opt in as an early adopter and get one of these:

The Moto 360

It comes in black and the above stainless steel silver.

While they're not selling them with metal bands right now in Canada, they will be soon. Only problem is that they're going to charge an arm and a leg for the bands. Standard watch bands won't fit the watch right and my damage it but Pebble Steel bands will fit. Here is an image I Googled of what the two look like together:

Pricing this out you're looking $310 before tax for the watch, plus the nice stainless steel band. So you're just barely in the territory of your mid-range quality time piece, only its voice controlled, gorilla glass 3.0, touch screen, gives you directions, the weather, the score of the game, your emails, texts, counts your steps, tracks your heart rate, etc.

You'll get only a little over 24 hours on a charge though. That's the downside but this is one of the few smart watches that looks cool and offers great functionality.

Not a peep from anybody. One week into my moto360 and I'm happy so far with it. I just got a new o/s update this morning, and so I'm looking to see what this improves.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't like watches that I have to charge everyday. Too many electronic devices with radio transmitters. I'm concerned with my sperm count.

Comment

Always wanted this baby, how often do you need to charge it?
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
          every day

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
            I pick it up off my charge pad(there are zero connection ports) and put it on my wrist at 6AM. 12 hours later I'm just slightly over halfway through my battery when I'm getting home from work. When I go to bed the thing will still have battery when I lay it back on the charge pad so I don't know how long one charge would get me but I'm guessing 20-24 hours depending on usage.

Keep in mind I'm getting notifications from email, text, facebook, tapatalk(Raptors Republic), other networking apps, etc.

It's tracking my step count and my heart rate.

I'm also texting and sending emails through my watch via voice command.

I'm changing my watch faces, customizing my watch faces(I'm rocking a Rolex Daytona white face right now and there are hundreds of real watch faces out there to download from $1M watches right down to old school casio digital watches; all free after you purchase a $1 app that allows you to point tap mount them to your watch. I have a bunch of cool themed ones as well like Pipboy from fallout, an NES Punchout inspired face, Donkey Kong, etc).

It's also reminding me of when I have to make the important phone call or go to that meeting, giving me updates on how long it's going to take me the drive home if I leave right away. It's also telling me how cold my walk to my truck will be. Once I get to my truck it directs me on the closest place I can go fuel up, a local bar, store, etc.

It's taken over as my nightstand clock and alarm.

It functions as a mini MP3 player, the list goes on.

Bottom line, unless you're an insomniac or an outdoor survivalist the battery is fine. It'll get you through a very long day no problem and it will be fully charged after just two hours on it's charging pad. If you can't be bothered to take the thing off for just two hours a day and lay it on a pad, then this watch isn't for you.

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            I'm concerned with my sperm count.
            Mine have been field tested as being super potent. I'm not worried unless she's late.

Edit: 999, sorry for taking you out of context. LOL

Comment

i like the IDEA of smart watches but i'm gonna wait past the first gen of these things
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This is the second gen. Third or fourth if you're Samsung.

They no doubt will be refined and improved but I can sell this one and upgrade later. I'm glad I'm on board right now. The little things that are hard to describe or identify just start piling up for me.

For example last night my wife and I were cleaning up around the house a little. I have my Note 3 connected to my watch and our Sony blue tooth speaker at the same time. I was in a different room and I didn't like the song that came on so I raised my wrist and one slight finger flick and tap later I was on to the next song. I also turned up the volume with another tap of the watch.

Here's another one. I have a black phone with a black case and so the phone is easily misplaced if I lay it down somewhere when I'm being absent minded. It's no longer a problem anymore because my watch can track my phones current location.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  This is the second gen. Third or fourth if you're Samsung.

They no doubt will be refined and improved but I can sell this one and upgrade later. I'm glad I'm on board right now. The little things that are hard to describe or identify just start piling up for me.

For example last night my wife and I were cleaning up around the house a little. I have my Note 3 connected to my watch and our Sony blue tooth speaker at the same time. I was in a different room and I didn't like the song that came on so I raised my wrist and one slight finger flick and tap later I was on to the next song. I also turned up the volume with another tap of the watch.

Here's another one. I have a black phone with a black case and so the phone is easily misplaced if I lay it down somewhere when I'm being absent minded. It's no longer a problem anymore because my watch can track my phones current location.
                  I like the idea of looking at my wrist instead of digging in my pocket to avoid social interaction but I don't think a watch helps when I'm on the john.

Comment

I like the idea of looking at my wrist instead of digging in my pocket to avoid social interaction but I don't think a watch helps when I'm on the john.
                    Depends on whether you're there for #1 or #2.

Anyway, today I'm on my 15th hour and I still have 50% battery. I think the new O/S update that came out a couple days back has further lengthened a charge.

Comment

Depends on whether you're there for #1 or #2.

Anyway, today I'm on my 15th hour and I still have 50% battery. I think the new O/S update that came out a couple days back has further lengthened a charge.
                      Android has had problems with updates and battery drain. I'll probably get a smart watch and the round moto does look the best.

Comment

I think they have a gold one out in the US and so it should be coming here soon. Also check out the black one because it's badass but consider how it might look if the metal gets scratched vs. the stainless steel version I have.

If you get one give it a week to get used to it and then decide if you like it. I went from first questioning if I made the right choice to now wondering what I did before having one. I love it. Chalk it up to learning how to use it, learning how to make the most out of it.

Comment

I think they have a gold one out in the US and so it should be coming here soon. Also check out the black one because it's badass but consider how it might look if the metal gets scratched vs. the stainless steel version I have.

If you get one give it a week to get used to it and then decide if you like it. I went from first questioning if I made the right choice to now wondering what I did before having one. I love it. Chalk it up to learning how to use it, learning how to make the most out of it.

I am actually concerned about accidentally pissing on it or forgetting when I wash my hands. How waterproof are they.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I am actually concerned about accidentally pissing on it or forgetting when I wash my hands. How waterproof are they.

They're water resistant. Unless you drop it in a couple meter deep pool of piss, you're covered.

Comment

They're water resistant. Unless you drop it in a couple meter deep pool of piss, you're covered.
                              Have you gotten freezes or lags. Guess because your not using it a lot it doesn't matter but android sometimes needs to be soft booted time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X