No announcement yet.

Fan Opinion: Just trade Jonas already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys think Sactown would say no to that trade??? I think they'd accept in a heartbeat....
    Two guys with very high upside on their rookie deals, cap space for this summer, and 2 1sts for Cousins?? I wouldn't do that from the raptors end...

Comment

• Okay, I keep seeing articles on the main page talking about the Raptors being willing to trade JV for Marc Gasol. Is there any legitimacy to these rumors?
      OG is our king

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
        Okay, I keep seeing articles on the main page talking about the Raptors being willing to trade JV for Marc Gasol. Is there any legitimacy to these rumors?
        It's just another article referring back to the Kelly article from last week. But this quote sort of sums up my thoughts on Jonas too:

"Valanciunas has been sporadically excellent this season, but the team's braintrust still doesn't believe he's the sort of centre you can ride through a playoff series. A team like Chicago would design all their tactics to go through a Valanciunas-sized hole in the Raptors mid-section,"
        He's still too much of a liability on the defensive end to make a 2nd round appearance a guarantee.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          It's just another article referring back to the Kelly article from last week. But this quote sort of sums up my thoughts on Jonas too:

He's still too much of a liability on the defensive end to make a 2nd round appearance a guarantee.
          Where did you get that quote from?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Where did you get that quote from?
            Sorry, from the Cathal Kelly G&M article (Dec. 12):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle22074889/

Comment

• I hope to fuck that the franchise does not give up on a 22 year old big man who has improved every year in the league so far and who likes to play around the hoop.

I think that we are stunting his growth as a player by not giving him more minutes....and he deserves those minutes. The guys numbers are up across the board this year from last year and he is getting rewarded with less minutes. Blocks are up, rebounding is up, turnovers are down, fouls are down.

While I have not coached at the NBA level, I have spent some time coaching pretty high level stuff, and here are my thoughts. The Raptors are not a real contender for an NBA championship this year, but we have pieces that could get us there. Developing Jonas is a big part of that. My philosophy would be to sacrifice a couple wins this year giving Jonas more minutes in order to allow him to reach his potential and be the anchor that a championship team can use in a year or two.

I hate watching Jonas have a pretty solid game going on and then sit for an entire 4th quarter, I can' see what good is coming out of that.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                I hope to fuck that the franchise does not give up on a 22 year old big man who has improved every year in the league so far and who likes to play around the hoop.

I think that we are stunting his growth as a player by not giving him more minutes....and he deserves those minutes. The guys numbers are up across the board this year from last year and he is getting rewarded with less minutes. Blocks are up, rebounding is up, turnovers are down, fouls are down.

While I have not coached at the NBA level, I have spent some time coaching pretty high level stuff, and here are my thoughts. The Raptors are not a real contender for an NBA championship this year, but we have pieces that could get us there. Developing Jonas is a big part of that. My philosophy would be to sacrifice a couple wins this year giving Jonas more minutes in order to allow him to reach his potential and be the anchor that a championship team can use in a year or two.

I hate watching Jonas have a pretty solid game going on and then sit for an entire 4th quarter, I can' see what good is coming out of that.
                If the return is Gasol, I think I'd be ok with letting Jonas go.

It sort of reminds me of the Camby/Oakley situation. Only Camby was a better prospect than Jonas, and Oakley was a worse player than Gasol. And it still worked out well for us back then.

Comment

If the return is Gasol, I think I'd be ok with letting Jonas go.

It sort of reminds me of the Camby/Oakley situation. Only Camby was a better prospect than Jonas, and Oakley was a worse player than Gasol. And it still worked out well for us back then.
                  kind of worked out well. Camby would have been perfect next to Bosh.
                  "Bruno?
                  Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                  He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• put me in the "why in gods name would you trade Val?" camp

you should be looking to build around him, not replace him
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      kind of worked out well. Camby would have been perfect next to Bosh.
                      Assuming Camby would've stuck with the Raptors for that long. Camby was traded in the 98-99 season, and Bosh really didn't blossom till 6-7 years later.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                        You guys think Sactown would say no to that trade??? I think they'd accept in a heartbeat....
                        Two guys with very high upside on their rookie deals, cap space for this summer, and 2 1sts for Cousins?? I wouldn't do that from the raptors end...
                        Define "very high upside"...will Ross ever be a star? Will Jonas ever be a superstar? Will two first likely 21st to 30th ever be nba starters? This isn't hockey baseball or football, depth is not as important as the top end. 1 plus 1 plus 1 plus 1 does not equal a single 4 if you catch my drift. Cousins could be in the running for a few mvp awards in his future, and that isn't far away, hes figuring it all out already.

I highly highly doubt sac town would do that, get rid of a franchise guy for the next decade, and after that their best player would be rudy gay or valanciunas. The raptors would be stupid not to...Cousins, lowry, derozan? Can you say legit big 3? Hes an instant and signifigant upgrade on JV and let's face it ross is replaceable fairly easy.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• So i'm really confused. Why the fuck would Memphis trade Gasol?? because he's a FA next year? they're the best team in the NBA right now, Gasol is their best player. I could easily see them winning it all this year.

I say go after Gasol in the summer. Offer him a max contract. Can Gasol and JV play together though?
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            put me in the "why in gods name would you trade Val?" camp

you should be looking to build around him, not replace him
                            I'm reluctant to trade Jonas too, but wouldn't Gasol be considered one of those rare pieces that's worth moving Jonas for?

Even with Jonas' much-publicized "high ceiling", how much better than Gasol could he ever get?

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              So i'm really confused. Why the fuck would Memphis trade Gasol?? because he's a FA next year? they're the best team in the NBA right now, Gasol is their best player. I could easily see them winning it all this year.

I say go after Gasol in the summer. Offer him a max contract. Can Gasol and JV play together though?
                              The same reason they traded the older Gasol, who was also their best player on a perennial contender. To cut costs and look to the future

Comment

I'm reluctant to trade Jonas too, but wouldn't Gasol be considered one of those rare pieces that's worth moving Jonas for?

Even with Jonas' much-publicized "high ceiling", how much better than Gasol could he ever get?
                                I'd want Gasol if the team was serious about contending right now. But are they though? And does Gasol really put us over the hump?
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X