Knicks Locker Room in shambles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knicks Locker Room in shambles

The New York Knicks were en route to their fifth straight loss last week against Brooklyn when a frustrated Tim Hardaway Jr. screamed angrily, "Get the rebound!''

Certain his second-year teammate was speaking to him, Carmelo Anthony approached Hardaway on the way down the court and used an expletive to ask Hardaway who in the world he thought he was talking to.

Anthony, according to sources, then used another expletive in telling Hardaway he was going to beat him up when they got into the locker room after the game.
    While the two players never wound up fighting, the episode was emblematic of the volatile state of the Knicks. Off to their worst start in franchise history at 4-19, the Knicks are a team full of discord, defiance and doubt, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

"Nobody's taken a swing at anybody, but there's a lot of arguing and cursing each other out after games,'' one source said.

In addition to the Knicks' lack of chemistry, sources say the players believe coach Derek Fisher's insistence on running the triangle offense is another key reason for New York's struggles.

Anthony could not be reached for comment Wednesday. The Knicks play at San Antonio on Wednesday night, and Anthony said after Tuesday's 104-93 loss at New Orleans -- New York's ninth straight defeat -- that he is considering giving his ailing right knee a rest.

Several Knicks, in addition to Hardaway, are at odds with Anthony and believe he's not playing team basketball. Sources said players voiced their displeasure with Anthony this past weekend, telling him he shoots too much, doesn't move or pass the ball, and only plays defense when he feels like it.

Sources said the most tension exists between Anthony and Hardaway as they haven't cared for one another almost since Hardaway joined the team last season, with each player believing the other shoots too much and doesn't care about defense. Sources said Hardaway was also bothered by the favorable treatment Anthony received under last year's coach, Mike Woodson.

Sources said one thing Anthony and his teammates do agree on is their disdain for the triangle offense. For weeks, if not longer, the players have been ready to ditch the triangle and move on to another system. They feel like other teams know what they're going to run and where they're going to go on the court, which makes it easier to stop them.

When team president Phil Jackson gave his "state of the team'' address Monday, he said the Knicks players have shown defiance to the changes he and Fisher have made in the name of "changing the culture.''

"There's some resistance to discipline and order and culture change and things like that,'' Jackson said.

The players' dislike for the triangle is a part of that. But there is more.

Last year, under Woodson, the Knicks switched on defense. This year, under Fisher, they don't switch, which has some players grumbling.

Also, the day after losses, Woodson would typically hold voluntarily workouts that were light and non-demanding. Fisher, however, holds full-fledged practices and works the players hard.

"Guys are definitely frustrated,'' one source said. "But some of it's just basketball stuff that the players don't like doing. When somebody's demanding that you make a hard cut, you don't like it because you have to work harder. When someone says it's not okay to throw a bull---- pass, guys don't like it.''

But the players don't feel like Fisher is being too hard on them, sources said. In fact, some feel his sideline demeanor is too stoic and they'd like to see more emotion out of him.

"They almost want to see Fisher get upset during a game,'' one source said. "They want to know that their coach will go to battle with them, that he'll fight for them. They're not seeing any emotion out of him.''

With free agents who signed before Sept. 16 becoming available for trade on Dec. 15, the Knicks could look to make roster changes soon -- with sources saying J.R. Smith is the player they'd most like to trade.

Link - http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...rd-sources-say

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Hopefully they're still trash in 2016 and the Nuggets decide to blow it up and rebuild
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

As hilarious as this is, I feel bad for Jose.

I'm interested to see if the coaching staff caves and changes the system, or stays the course.
    OG is our king

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
      As hilarious as this is, I feel bad for Jose.

I'm interested to see if the coaching staff caves and changes the system, or stays the course.
      Yeah....Like I'll laugh maniacally at the whole situation because it's just fantastic watching the train wreck that is the Knicks....And then you think of Jose, and I almost want to cry for the poor guy.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Yeah....Like I'll laugh maniacally at the whole situation because it's just fantastic watching the train wreck that is the Knicks....And then you think of Jose, and I almost want to cry for the poor guy.
        "Don't worry Jose, you'll always have me!"

OG is our king

Comment

"Don't worry Jose, you'll always have me!"

And then you cry even harder....

Comment

I doubt they will scrap the triangle with Phil in charge.

2 most amazing things about the Knicks this year; one; that through all this Dolan hasn't said anything stupid in public yet; second, they are trying to win and yet are only a half game on the losing on purpose Sixers.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              I doubt they will scrap the triangle with Phil in charge.

2 most amazing things about the Knicks this year; one; that through all this Dolan hasn't said anything stupid in public yet; second, they are trying to win and yet are only a half game on the losing on purpose Sixers.
              I'm pretty baffled by how bad the Knicks are. I mean, just TRYING to win in the Eastern Conference should equate to some success, right?
              OG is our king

Comment

Melo is a puss and make believe thug....watch him blindside cock aplayer and then run...

Masai, have you called Phil yet? See if you can exchange the '16 pick for '15

Comment

I think this is all part of the plan
                  This is the only year they have a pick, next year they dont have one I think
                  Its definately a tank by design, why else take away your only rim protector? to lose games.

So they are going all out for tanking for a good big this year (Okafor especially) but there are some other good ones at the top
                  There are a lot of good bigs available this year in FA (Gasol, Monroe, Aldridge, Love) that could fit next to the big they draft

This big tandem is perfect for the triangle and with a star like Melo on the wing, it could be really deadly.
                  Jose is good for the triangle PG: shoots 3s, isnt shoot first, gifted passer, great IQ

Shumpert/Hardaway are decent at SG for now for them

Imagine a lineup of:

PG: Jose
                  SG: Shumpert, Hardaway
                  SF: Melo
                  PF: Okafor
                  C: Marc Gasol

I think thats Phil Jackson's master plan

Comment

christ if Brooklyn and New York both blow it up that would make the trade deadline a WOJ wet dream
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I can't decide whether or not to post this in the Popovich tribute thread or here, but Pops benched his four best players against the Knicks and still won!

Genius!

Marco Belinelli scored a season-high 22 points and the short-handed San Antonio Spurs rolled to a 109-95 victory over New York on Wednesday night, handing the Knicks their 10th straight loss.
                      San Antonio, playing without its Big Four, was 10 for 19 on 3-pointers and shot 50 percent overall. The Spurs had seven players in double figures, getting 13 points from Danny Green and 12 from Boris Diaw.
                      San Antonio was without Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Kawhi Leonard. Parker (left hamstring) and Leonard (bruised right hand) were both injured, but Duncan and Ginobili sat out to rest on the second night of a back-to-back.
                      Tim Hardaway Jr. scored 23 points on 9-for-18 shooting for the hapless Knicks, who fell to 4-20. New York was without Carmelo Anthony, who experienced soreness in his left knee after playing 39 minutes in Tuesday night's loss at New Orleans.
                      Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wasn't taking the night off, even without his big stars. The fiery coach called timeout a minute into the game to chastise Green for missing a defensive assignment that enabled Hardaway to score the game's first points on an open 3-pointer. Popovich would call two timeouts in the opening 6 minutes to address the team's defensive performance.
                      The team got the message, rolling to a double-digit lead while forcing the Knicks into 17 turnovers.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        I was trying to figure out a trade to get Jose out of there — not because we need him, but because I like the guy — but nothing makes sense. He makes too much money.

I would rather have Landry Fields, Chuck Hayes and Hansbrough's expiring contracts than anything on the entire Knicks roster.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                          I can't decide whether or not to post this in the Popovich tribute thread or here, but Pops benched his four best players against the Knicks and still won!

Genius!
                          Matt Bonner was able to do this against the Knicks' defense. Lol

OG is our king

Comment

Matt Bonner was able to do this against the Knicks' defense. Lol

ahahahahahahahah. red rocket red rocket red rocket. so funny.

imagine having to play with melo everyday though. ouch. dude already said he almost left, so you know he is only here for the money. i would like to see them trade him now that he is locked up long term.

i do think they are watching for people that can play the triangle and will make adjustments as they can. giving up 1/4 through season one is dumb.

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
                              I think this is all part of the plan
                              This is the only year they have a pick, next year they dont have one I think
                              Its definately a tank by design, why else take away your only rim protector? to lose games.

So they are going all out for tanking for a good big this year (Okafor especially) but there are some other good ones at the top
                              There are a lot of good bigs available this year in FA (Gasol, Monroe, Aldridge, Love) that could fit next to the big they draft

This big tandem is perfect for the triangle and with a star like Melo on the wing, it could be really deadly.
                              Jose is good for the triangle PG: shoots 3s, isnt shoot first, gifted passer, great IQ

Shumpert/Hardaway are decent at SG for now for them

Imagine a lineup of:

PG: Jose
                              SG: Shumpert, Hardaway
                              SF: Melo
                              PF: Okafor
                              C: Marc Gasol

I think thats Phil Jackson's master plan
                              I'm not sure they've got the cap space for that. Existing contracts put them in the low $40s... high $40s if Smith picks up his player option. Then if they do get a high draft pick, that salary eats up another $3 million or more, putting them at $50. If the salary cap remains at the planned $66, then they won't have the $20 million or so left necessary to offer Gasol the max contract that other teams will be offering him.

Comment

Working...
                              X