worst coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worst coach

"Compare that to guys like Butch Carter, Triano and Kevin O'Neill, Sam Mitchell — their locker rooms always felt like circuses. Casey's locker room seems almost too serious. Butch Carter tried to sue Marcus Camby. Mitchell refused to double-team Kobe in his 81 point game out of spite. Vince body slammed Mitchell for crying out loud. Oh my god, Lenny Wilkens. Did he do anything?"

brian colangelo wrote this on the val page and it got me thinking.

lenny wilkens or kevin o'neill? who has been the worst coach in our history so far? anyone for triano?

i say lenny, i think he inherited a team on the rise, did absolutely nothing with it and was fired. i remember watching him and he really seemed to not give a flying fuck about anything

Jay Triano!

To put it short he was waaaaay in over his head. He had absolutely no idea how to coach an NBA team whatsoever!
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Kevin O'Neil. No way you can give it to anyone else in my opinion. To watch his offense makes Casey look like a savant.

Not sure how out of all the options, OP chose Wilkens. Was it not Lenny that coached us into the Second Round? And before Mitchell, was our winningest coach? Lenny is the only Raptors Coach to have a playoff record that is anywhere close to respectable at 8-9.

Wikipedia has a nice breakdown:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_head_coaches

KO definitely takes it. Maybe Malone, but his team was horrible to look at on paper. Let alone the floor.
      Last edited by Joey; Wed Dec 10, 2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
        Kevin O'Neil. No way you can give it to anyone else in my opinion. To watch his offense makes Casey look like a savant.

Not sure how out of all the options, OP chose Wilkens. Was it not Lenny that coached us into the Second Round? And before Mitchell, was our winningest coach? Lenny is the only Raptors Coach to have a playoff record that is anywhere close to respectable at 8-9.

KO definitely takes it. Maybe Malone, but his team was horrible to look at on paper. Let alone the floor.
        That list is f*cking depressing ... we don't have a single Coach with a Winning Record ... Ugh.
        Last edited by Joey; Wed Dec 10, 2014, 09:11 PM.

Comment

hated his demeanor. i can't think of anywhere he made us better other than laid backedness. personal opinion, couldn't stand watching him (never do anything)(ever do anything)? one of those means do nothing and one means always do something i think, but again it seemed he did nothing and benefited off of carters' best year.

i love the "made casey look like a savant" hahahahaha

Comment

That list is f*cking depressing ... we don't have a single Coach with a Winning Record ... Ugh.
            Worst part is their NBA HC careers went downhill after they left.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
              hated his demeanor. i can't think of anywhere he made us better other than laid backedness. personal opinion, couldn't stand watching him (never do anything)(ever do anything)? one of those means do nothing and one means always do something i think, but again it seemed he did nothing and benefited off of carters' best year.

i love the "made casey look like a savant" hahahahaha
              The thing with Wilkens though, is that was always his coaching style. He taught. He was a student of the game, and expected others to listen. That's all. He wasn't animated, and yelling, and all that crap. He was cool and collected, and I think a lot of players respect that; Assuming the coach is still passionate, which Lenny was. In my opinion.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                Worst part is their NBA HC careers went downhill after they left.
                Coach Curse of the Raptors. I've thought about it many times. Don't Coach here if you want to Coach somewhere else eventually. Though Triano is doing quite well for himself, and Smitch will land something eventually.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  "Compare that to guys like Butch Carter, Triano and Kevin O'Neill, Sam Mitchell — their locker rooms always felt like circuses. Casey's locker room seems almost too serious. Butch Carter tried to sue Marcus Camby. Mitchell refused to double-team Kobe in his 81 point game out of spite. Vince body slammed Mitchell for crying out loud. Oh my god, Lenny Wilkens. Did he do anything?"

brian colangelo wrote this on the val page and it got me thinking.
                  Immediately after I wrote this, I realized why I tend to defend Casey whenever people claims he's the worst. Casey may never be a championship coach, but the Raptors have had so many terrible, terrible coaches just having a competent one is a godsend.

Comment

My vote is Lenny, for exactly the reasons Miek stated.

He was handed a perfectly good playoff team and did almost nothing with it. It felt like he was sleepwalking through the job and just looking to sunset his career.

Oh shit I forgot about Darrell Walker! LOL.

Edit: Oh, man that's a good Kevin O'Neill argument. I remember seeing old footage of him in Hoop Dreams. He has slimeball written all over him.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                      Immediately after I wrote this, I realized why I tend to defend Casey whenever people claims he's the worst. Casey may never be a championship coach, but the Raptors have had so many terrible, terrible coaches just having a competent one is a godsend.
                      Incompetent management killed off a lot of coaches. Casey was probably a week away from joining them last season. Too bad he is such a scrub. He would be great for Orlando or Jazz.

Comment

My vote is Lenny, for exactly the reasons Miek stated.

He was handed a perfectly good playoff team and did almost nothing with it. It felt like he was sleepwalking through the job and just looking to sunset his career.

Oh shit I forgot about Darrell Walker! LOL.
                        Two playoff stints and a trip to the second round is nothing? Funny, for me, that's more than any other coach has ever done for us.

Comment

Two playoff stints and a trip to the second round is nothing? Funny, for me, that's more than any other coach has ever done for us.
                          Edited my post to reflect your fine Kevin O'Neill hot garbage argument.

Comment

Edited my post to reflect your fine Kevin O'Neill hot garbage argument.
                            Its a race to the bottom of the pile!

Comment

Jay Triano is an assistant on a damn good Portland team.

Just goes to show some guys are meant to be the right hand man, and not the boss.

Comment

Working...
                              X