Are they "showcasing" Landry Fields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    He does have value and it is most likely in the second scenario you outlined. Big, expiring contracts are less valuable than they used to be but as we saw with John Salmons it only takes 1 team to trade with to give a contact value.
    Salmons situation was a bit difference because he had a $7M salary but only $1M was guaranteed for the following year. So you could free up cap space real quickly and had the ability to trade him after the deadline when it's easier for teams to make decisions for the draft/summer.

Once the deadline approaches, Landry can't be moved. And if he was moved MU would have to get salary back which hurts their own free agency options when the season is over (assuming he is looking at free agency as an option). His value is only as an expiring.. no team is going to want him to booster their bench for a playoff run like say KG would be.

I would prefer they keep him.. he was valuable against the Nets last year before he got injured. Depending on matchups, he could be valuable again for us.

Although if Minny was offering up Thad for him and say a protected first rounder, I'd agree to it.. although Thad has a player option so in that sense we could be losing a first round pick for nothing.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
      He does have value and it is most likely in the second scenario you outlined. Big, expiring contracts are less valuable than they used to be but as we saw with John Salmons it only takes 1 team to trade with to give a contact value.
      Right.

Fields the contract has some value.

Fields the player does not.

I can guarantee you there are no fans posting that the key to their team making playoffs or winning championship rests on ability of their GM to swindle the Raps for Fields.

Comment

if daniels isn't ready to sit on the bench next year, i wouldn't mind fields back for a minimum deal. savvy, good defender. those are good practice players. he has value as a player to teach younger players.

in no way can he be traded for anything of value though. his contract could be tossed into deals that need 6 million added and then give us a present or a team desperate to get under the tax.

you can't really showcase someone who everyone knows has elbow problems and can't shoot the ball.

Comment

I don't think there's a GM in the league who would change his opinion of Fields based on the past 3 weeks (while ignoring the previous 3 years).

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            Right.

Fields the contract has some value.

Fields the player does not.

I can guarantee you there are no fans posting that the key to their team making playoffs or winning championship rests on ability of their GM to swindle the Raps for Fields.
            I don't know, some fans are awfully stupid. Case in point: my friend who was a Raptors fan who wanted them to sign T-Mac, Allen Iverson and Gilbert Arenas before last season to sell more tickets and be more relevant in the NBA. He even called AI and Arenas "great locker room guys," seemingly ignoring the fact one refused to come off the bench and the other bought a gun to the locker room. I didn't speak to him again.

Comment

landry has been playing well and who knows he may learn to shoot with his opposite hand like Tristan did. If he is willing to sign for lower money he could be still be an asset because of his professionalism.

Comment

Since DD went down and Fields started getting consistent minutes he's been very effective. One might argue that his play has been one of the things helping to offset the loss of Derozan, and his Bball IQ is almost immediately apparent every time he's on the floor.

His shot is terrible.

the rest of his game has been just fine

Comment

Fields still has no value.

But remember when many were saying he should start and play limited minutes - before it actually happened?

Yeah.

NBA coaches know more than any of us here but that is a perfect example of why you can't have a retort or opinion based purely on "well they are an NBA coach" on a forum.

Not trying to shit disturb, just saying.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                    Since DD went down and Fields started getting consistent minutes he's been very effective. One might argue that his play has been one of the things helping to offset the loss of Derozan, and his Bball IQ is almost immediately apparent every time he's on the floor.

His shot is terrible.

the rest of his game has been just fine
                    I recall very similar posts when DD initially went down.

Comment

whatever, its also a game of numbers, and Landry was the one who was lost in the shuffle. He wasnt gonna get minutes before Dd, ross JJ and lou.

but now he has to.

and to say he has no value is simply wrong, and when you consider that we only need to watch to see his value, the statement becomes kinda funny.

Comment

and to say he has no value is simply wrong, and when you consider that we only need to watch to see his value, the statement becomes kinda funny.
                        a question. if the player has no value in trade but the contract does, where is the value? his name could be rock mcrocky and his "game" would be as coveted as fields. but that expiring contract is a nice 6 million of space to someone, no matter what the name is on the line.

i think that using fields as an example of casey not seeing what was there is wrong. fields is getting game time because there is no one else. not because he is getting his chance and making the most of it. he is back to the bench the minute demar is capable. deserves praise for his attitude and effort,

Comment

whatever, its also a game of numbers, and Landry was the one who was lost in the shuffle. He wasnt gonna get minutes before Dd, ross JJ and lou.

but now he has to.

Head coach started greasy even as it was apparent to members on this board it was wrong and messed up rotations.

Just saying.....

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            a question. if the player has no value in trade but the contract does, where is the value? his name could be rock mcrocky and his "game" would be as coveted as fields. but that expiring contract is a nice 6 million of space to someone, no matter what the name is on the line.

i think that using fields as an example of casey not seeing what was there is wrong. fields is getting game time because there is no one else. not because he is getting his chance and making the most of it. he is back to the bench the minute demar is capable. deserves praise for his attitude and effort,
                            No question on that

Comment

but now he has to.

Depends on how you define "value".

Fields may have some value on the current squad as a stop-gap, limited minutes filler until your allstar wing gets healthy again, but that doesn't mean he'd be worth anything on the trade market.

Comment

Landry Field's play as of late is like finding money in your jacket pocket that you didn't know was there. It's great at that moment...free money in a sense. But you don't want to rely on finding money in your pocket to pay the bills (does that analogy make any sense?).

Comment

Working...
                                X