Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endgame Philosophy: agree or disagree with Steve Kerr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shittiest NBA player wide open under the basket is still a better shot than Steph Curry double teamed on the perimeter.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      The shittiest NBA player wide open under the basket is still a better shot than Steph Curry double teamed on the perimeter.
      Unless it's Julian Wright....

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
        Down by 1 point and you have two options:

1) Lou Williams being double-teamed on the perimeter
        2) Chuck Hayes wide open under the basket

Who do you want to take the shot with 1.5 seconds left on the game clock?
        Two thoughts...

-It should definitely go to whoever is wide open under the basket.
        -If that is Hayes, in the game for an offensive possession with the game on the line, the coach should be fired.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Two thoughts...

-If that is Hayes, in the game for an offensive possession with the game on the line, the coach should be fired.
          What if Hayes is in because Amir, 2Pat, Jonas, Steamer, Hansbro, Bebe and JJ have fouled out?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            What if Hayes is in because Amir, 2Pat, Jonas, Steamer, Hansbro, Bebe and JJ have fouled out?
            small ball

Comment

Two thoughts...

Maybe Malone did that last year???
              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

It's the final possession of the game, so really even then you should just go small. So all but Chuck and 4 other guys would have to have fouled out or be injured.

Comment

WWTSD = What Would The Spurs Do?

Run a play and get a great shot. Count me in with those who are not fans of this trend we're seeing with these Raptors of these guards forcing the offence one-on-______ (however many defenders you want to put in there) because "it's my job" or "I've got to lead this team" or whatever - and that's on both Casey's systems and expectations (I think the guards are doing what he wants them to do) and on the guards themselves. Kyle Lowry doesn't need to prove he's an All-Star by going one-on-three and hoisting a fadeway while travelling to his left through the air at 35 mph. Lou doesn't need to prove he can "step in" for DeRozan by hoisting 20 FGA and shooting 38%. Run an offense that includes everybody (this is a DEEP team that has scorers at literally every position, with several more on the bench) and gets high percentage shots. Isn't that simple?
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

It's the final possession of the game, so really even then you should just go small. So all but Chuck and 4 other guys would have to have fouled out or be injured.
                    I dunno man. Chuck's been working on his handles all summer in the Drew League.

Comment

Coach says he's put on 15 pounds of good weight.

Comment

I heard he was dribbling three basketballs while standing in line at Chipotle.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Coach says he's put on 15 pounds of good weight.
                          He actually lost some weight during the off season loooool

Chuck came in at a slim 240lbs
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Situationally, I'm okay with isos. In a tie-game scenario for example, it's really crucial that you make sure you get last shot, so that your worst-case scenario is OT. But timing a complex play at the very end of a game-clock is much more difficult than timing an iso play. I'd rather that my team take a tough, iso shot as time expires than run a good play to get a higher-percentage shot with 5 seconds left on the game clock. Because the last thing I want is the other team to get a chance to win in regulation. But ideally, you'd like that iso to result in something better than a deep 3 over two defenders. Also, you need to at least occasionally set up what looks like an iso and then run a play out of it, to keep defenses honest.

But that's only one situation. When trailing, you take the highest-percentage shot you can get. I also like taking the 3 at the end of regulation when trailing by 2, especially on the road or when you're in foul trouble. My choice for that situation would be a pick-and-roll that tries to open up the corner-3 for a player like Ross, Williams, or Patterson. If the PnR sucks in the defender from the wing, you kick out to the corner, otherwise you take whichever PnR finish is open.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                              Situationally, I'm okay with isos. In a tie-game scenario for example, it's really crucial that you make sure you get last shot, so that your worst-case scenario is OT. But timing a complex play at the very end of a game-clock is much more difficult than timing an iso play. I'd rather that my team take a tough, iso shot as time expires than run a good play to get a higher-percentage shot with 5 seconds left on the game clock. Because the last thing I want is the other team to get a chance to win in regulation. But ideally, you'd like that iso to result in something better than a deep 3 over two defenders. Also, you need to at least occasionally set up what looks like an iso and then run a play out of it, to keep defenses honest.

But that's only one situation. When trailing, you take the highest-percentage shot you can get. I also like taking the 3 at the end of regulation when trailing by 2, especially on the road or when you're in foul trouble. My choice for that situation would be a pick-and-roll that tries to open up the corner-3 for a player like Ross, Williams, or Patterson. If the PnR sucks in the defender from the wing, you kick out to the corner, otherwise you take whichever PnR finish is open.
                              This the thinking behind ISO. A turnover is the worst possession since it is a zero % shot. Even a contested half court shot is better than a turnover. It is really old school and shows zero trust in players making plays.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                This the thinking behind ISO. A turnover is the worst possession since it is a zero % shot. Even a contested half court shot is better than a turnover. It is really old school and shows zero trust in players making plays.
                                Which was showcased last night, when we got the ball off a Patterson rebound, who dished it to a wide open Ross (I think it was Ross) in the mid-range....and Casey called a timeout so he could run a Lowry ISO with like 3 seconds left.

Now, if we showed any creativity in drawing up plays out of timeouts, I'd be fine with it....but everyone knew it would just be an ISO for Kyle or Lou, and one that starts above the 3pt line. I would've much preferred Ross, who had a good shooting night, being forced to attack with those few seconds left and everybody scrambling.

**I understand the instinct of wanting to get a shot and not turn it over. I also understand the desire to avoid a disorganized possession, and also try to get it into the hands of one of your best players....But there has to be some situation(s) where you let things play out because calling a time out is unlikely to get a better opportunity.
                                ->I mean, in this specific instance, the game was already tied, there wasn't really enough time for NYK to get a shot off even if we turned it over, and again, the ball ended up in our hottest shooting hand for the night after an offensive rebound where the opposing D was disorganized and scrambling....I'm not sure you could ask for a better situation to let things play out without calling a timeout (just to run an ISO).
                                Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Dec 15, 2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X