Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Endgame Philosophy: agree or disagree with Steve Kerr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endgame Philosophy: agree or disagree with Steve Kerr?

Kerr, who hit one of the most famous Finals shots because Jordan passed out of a double-team, has a theory on why there’s so much demand for superstars to take the last shots: “It’s because people are idiots, that’s why. The point of the game is to get an open shot and if a guy’s double-teamed he should pass it. That’s the game.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/golden-state...al-shot&ex_cid

It's an interesting quote, given it's by Kerr (to whom Jordan famously passed), and that people often shit on superstars and coaches who allow lesser players to take the shot--if the shot is missed. I think, like most things, it really depends on the situation, but I think for our particular team, we could use a little more of this attitude in the closing seconds of the game. I don't think we have the personnel to be actively seeking isos at the end of games, and it's something we need to figure out for the playoffs.

That attitude is one that LeBron is actually very good with - he has been criticized (stupidly) for not taking big shots in his career, but the guy pretty much always makes the right play instead of forcing it.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Completely agree with Kerr. I'd rather have an open look, than a forced leaner over 2 defenders.

Comment

If "running a goddamn play at the end of a quarter" becomes the next "corner three", the NBA will be a better place.
        @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

Lowry was once known as a guy who would hit big shots because he would do it within the flow of something that resembled an actual offence. Somewhere down the line Casey decided he was Kobe and started doing this garbage. I think it's been pretty god damn obvious he can't get his shot off in these situations.

Then the one guy, Ross, who can get his shot off over anyone never sees the opportunity.

Comment

draps wrote: View Post
            Lowry was once known as a guy who would hit big shots because he would do it within the flow of something that resembled an actual offence. Somewhere down the line Casey decided he was Kobe and started doing this garbage. I think it's been pretty god damn obvious he can't get his shot off in these situations.

Then the one guy, Ross, who can get his shot off over anyone never sees the opportunity.
            Ross is young, I'd wait for him to prove he can hit big shots before giving him the last shot.
            Lowry has done it all through out his career.
            However, Casey really needs to improve how he utilizes Lowry. In my opinion, our best option as a last shot is a PnR with Lowry and Amir, if Lowry gets hedged hard, he drops it off to Amir; If they sag on Lowry, he needs to take it strong in the paint or pull up for the open midrange (after beating his man). If there is help from the wings, Lowry needs to find the open shooter (Ross, Patterson, Lou, or even Vasquez).
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Down by 1 point and you have two options:

1) Lou Williams being double-teamed on the perimeter
              2) Chuck Hayes wide open under the basket

Who do you want to take the shot with 1.5 seconds left on the game clock?

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post

I'll take Chuck Hayes.... On the perimeter.... As a floater.... One handed.... IN THE PLAYOFFS

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                  I'll take Chuck Hayes.... On the perimeter.... As a floater.... One handed.... IN THE PLAYOFFS
                  That shot is unguardable.

Comment

You take the shot that's most likely to be made, always. So in this case, probably double teamed Lou.

However, double teamed Michael Jordan or wide open Steve Kerr? Give the ball to Kerr.
                    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

I'm reminded of Amir taking a corner 3 to win the game...

I think the whole ISO thing the team has been doing at the end of quarters needs to stop. A simple handoff or screen just to get players open can do wonders methinks.
                      OG is our king

Comment

Yeah it'd be much easier if other teams had to double team anyone on our roster but they don't really, hence it's hard to get open looks. Although we did get an open look in this scenario last season - Amir corner three for the win haha.

But this whole iso for the last possession is a problem that affects the whole NBA, not just the Raptors. Chris Paul usually operates 1 on 1 in the clutch, so do Kobe, Durant, even Kemba Walker. Heck, Melo the possession before scored on an iso. People make it seem as if Casey is terrible for being the only one to do it but he's not the exception, coaches like Pop are. Look at the Mavs with Carlisle, their end of game shots have ended up being some really bad Monta Ellis shots that have happened to go in.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                          Yeah it'd be much easier if other teams had to double team anyone on our roster but they don't really, hence it's hard to get open looks. Although we did get an open look in this scenario last season - Amir corner three for the win haha.

But this whole iso for the last possession is a problem that affects the whole NBA, not just the Raptors. Chris Paul usually operates 1 on 1 in the clutch, so do Kobe, Durant, even Kemba Walker. Heck, Melo the possession before scored on an iso. People make it seem as if Casey is terrible for being the only one to do it but he's not the exception, coaches like Pop are. Look at the Mavs with Carlisle, their end of game shots have ended up being some really bad Monta Ellis shots that have happened to go in.
                          ISO is one thing but repeatedly running a player 1 v 5 is another. Everyone knows the Raptors will iso to end games hence the lack of any chance of scoring. Other coaches run other plays so an ISo has a chance to work.

Comment

FG% 2014

Chuck Hayes .429
                            Lou Williams .416
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              FG% 2014

Chuck Hayes .429
                              Lou Williams .416
                              Chunk cannot miss!!!

But do you really his odds with the pressure on?

Comment

Working...
                              X