Biggest Surprises of the Raptors 2014/2015 Season So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Surprises of the Raptors 2014/2015 Season So Far

No particular order except this is first: Lowry has elevated his play over what we saw last year. A bit of a let down was feared, many expected him to continue at last years level, but few predicted he would actually elevate his game the way he has. Obviously he has had to with DeRozan down with injury, but does anyone expect him to relax when DeMar comes back?

The defensive play of DeMar DeRozan. I didn't notice it earlier in the season, maybe because it wasn't there. But it is almost as if someone reminded DD that that was supposed to be one of the things he worked on over the off-season, and a switch was turned. I thought the 3-4 games before he went down he was playing pretty good D...Of course, I am going from memory here, so maybe it was just my imagination. Another surprise with DD is that Casey has made a point of including him in the coaches meetings and strategy sessions apparently. Wouldn't have expected that to happen, but it can only have a net positive effect because I would expect DD to think about the coaches talking about lapses or weaknesses in game play of individual players and then turn that around with some self-examination.

The defensive play of Patterson. Patrick has improved on defense. Not just man to man, but help defense as well. One play stands out for me from last night. He played excellent help out at the three point line on one play and then, when the shot was taken and missed, he was the guy who corralled the rebound 3 feet from the basket, boxing out an Orlando player.

The defensive play of Williams. We knew he was a shooter coming into the season, but he get steals, takes charges, plays very good one on one D and is pretty good at getting around screens. In the last three weeks he has stepped up his rebounding as well.

James Johnson is not THAT James Johnson. We heard the pronouncements about improved maturity and staying in role etc. but I bet most people have been waiting for him to revert to the JJ of old. Hasn't happened. In addition he is a willing passer. His assist numbers would be higher, but he often seems to get the hockey assist or to pass to GV during one of Grevis' slumps.

Casey bringing out Fields and using him appropriately. Never would have expected this. It's like watching a leopard turn into a zebra, in terms of spot changing. Who would have guessed Casey would even think of it let alone do it. Fields is a joy for me to watch when he is on the floor. He has been a talented player wasted for much of the last 8 months. Glad to see that he is still goring hard despite the difficulties and I can only imagine how happy he is to be given a chance to contribute during meaningful minutes.

It's not all joy and laughter though.
    I am surprised and disappointed that Amir hasn't improved over the summer, after deciding to not get surgery and simply use physio/exercise on his ankles. I don't know that surgery would have helped, and he sought expert medical opinion, but I think we were all hoping he would come back able to play uninjured, and at 100% this season. Clearly not happening.

Terence doesn't seem to have improved his D very much, if at all. He plays pretty good face up one on one, but still isn't very good at avoiding or slipping screens. He should watch Landry Fields videos and learn. He also seems to forget about or lose his defensive assignments too much...not because of helping, but because he is watching the play and doesn't notice his guy cutting under him on the baseline for an easy basket. He also isn't getting any free throws. How can that be possible? Does every defender run away when he takes it to the basket, or is it because he only takes it there when he has an unobstructed path. After all the talk about added muscle and strength, I expected more.

Jonas still brings the ball down to low and hesitates too long before making his move. He is also not taking the short jumpers when they are offered. He should be shooting more from 10-12 feet out and should never bring the ball down below his shoulders because he gets stripped so easily. I would have thought these issues would be corrected, at least somewhat, over the off season. Hasn't happened...in fact they have gotten worse as teams study tape of his game. His primary response has been to whine more and pout as if he is a star not getting the royal treatment from the refs.

Vasquez has not responded well to Lou Williams eating into his minutes. He seems desperate to get his shot off as soon as he brings the ball anywhere near the 3 pt line. Of course, this is made far worse by his poor shooting and bad defense that may be caused by him not focusing on his man and instead thinking about his next 3 pt attempt in transition.

What about you guys? What were your biggest surprises?

James Johnson is the one that stands out for me. I was expecting a head case who had potential to split the locker room apart. He's been a revelation.

And I'm starting to love his slow-motion Eurostep. Kudos to the refs for never calling a travel on a play that simply looks weird. Watching games on opposing broadcasts has play-by-play guys screaming "travel" often.

Comment

Positives:
      - Lou in the running for 6th man of the year, while actually being a decent defender and team player offensively
      - JJ seeming to finally know his role and understand how accepting his role benefits the team
      - Ross starting to blossom as a diversified offensive threat and gaining confidence (yes, consistency needs to improve, which I expect it to with more experience)
      - Fields becoming a useful rotation player again

Negatives:
      - the ghost of Amir Johnson
      - Vasquez being wildly inconsistent
      - inconsistent defensive intensity, especially being DC's calling card
      - too much ISO ball
      - lack of an inside game offensively (play-calling)

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        Positives:
        - Lou in the running for 6th man of the year, while actually being a decent defender and team player offensively
        - JJ seeming to finally know his role and understand how accepting his role benefits the team
        - Ross starting to blossom as a diversified offensive threat and gaining confidence (yes, consistency needs to improve, which I expect it to with more experience)
        - Fields becoming a useful rotation player again

Negatives:
        - the ghost of Amir Johnson
        - Vasquez being wildly inconsistent
        - inconsistent defensive intensity, especially being DC's calling card
        - too much ISO ball
        - lack of an inside game offensively (play-calling)
        Your last three negatives. The inconsistent intensity and iso ball are changes from last year I believe.

Comment

I would just cite the record of the team. Kind of a macro outlook while fully agreeing with most details in the OP. It is surprising that they have the great record they do so far. Am somewhat disappointed at the inconsistency from game to game and within game. Are they full value for the record? I am unsure. Would have liked a more positive record against the "big boys" in the L.

My overall feel is with some of the changes/additions (LW & JJ mostly) the team has yet to peak from a consistency standpoint. Imagine JV & TRoss take a leap by mid season!!

Comment

1. How soft the schedule has been for us to start the season. Great for once starting the season on a positive note.

2. How dynamite Lou has been. Was expecting him to be an effective scorer with midrange game, but before injury I never knew was as good of a 3 point shooter, as he has been.

3. Surprised how closely the coaches seem to work with stats team. Biggest issue when Casey came to Toronto was defense and they addressed that rather quickly. From last year the biggest issue was pace and they've attacked that issue rather quickly as well. Seems like they have a close relationship and work well to figure out problems and address them effectively.

Comment

Biggest surprise is Williams. Its not even close. he's performing at a pace higher than BEFORE he was hurt. Its a rare good luck move, and i cant be happier.

Comment

Positive Surprises: Overall record and ability to win games we could have/should have lost.
                Kyle Lowry being even better than last year.
                DeMar's defence. He's not Tony Allen, but he was actually playing plus defence before his injury.
                Patterson was awful early on, but he's been as good as anyone not named Kyle lately.
                Lou Williams. Better defensively than I thought and far better offensively.

Negative Surprises:
                The deterioration of Amir's defensive play. He was the backbone of the strong defensive showing last year and even though he has the smarts to still be a plus defender, his ankles seem to have destroyed a lot of his quickness and leaping ability. He saddens me.
                GV has, other than a few brief stretches, been brutal offensively,. This despite a vastly superior cast around him on the 2nd unit.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Good thread. I will chip in a couple of agreements:

1) Great record. We're at .760 and the season is almost a third of the way through (two more games). This is shaping up to be one amazing season. I even bought the NBA League Pass to watch.

2) Offensive proficiency. I thought this was a defence-first team, and never expected such an explosion of scoring.

3) Lou Williams. I thought he would be pretty good, based on what I saw of him in Atlanta last year, but nothing like this.

4) Dominance of the White Squad, last night being the latest example. You have to give Coach Casey credit for being smart and courageous enough to try five-man substitutions at the beginning of the season, and returning to them recently despite the DeMar DeRozan injury.

Comment

^ ball streams or NBA league pass? Which one's better?
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                      Ballstreams is absolutely awesome. I had it for November and recommend it highly.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        Ballstreams is absolutely awesome. I had it for November and recommend it highly.
                        I've never had League Pass, but I'm using Ballstreams for the 1st time this year. Love it so far. Works well on my phone, on the Roku Channel, or casting from Chrome to my TV. Plus, you don't have to worry about local blackouts.

$60 for 6 months sure beats paying Rogers/Bell for 17 extra sports channels all covering the World Poker Tour.

Comment

Lou Williams has been a very pleasant surprise this season, on both ends of the floor. Given that he had torn his ACL and had a rough comeback season in Atlanta, I wasn't sure what to expect with Lou, and I was one of the people on this message board that truly believed Masaii would be moving him. However, he has proven to be extremely consistent on both ends of the floor, and has stepped up admirably for the team, especially since Derozan went down. He is a legitimate candidate for 6th man of the year.

The other big surprise for me was seeing Demar go down with a torn tendon. Having played through 5 seasons with remarkable durability and consistency health-wise, I was surprised to see him go down. Some might say that injury would hit the team sooner or later, but even if I agree with that, it still hit me as a surprise to see Demar go down. Hopefully he recovers fully and returns in his all star form.

There's plenty more, many of which have already been pointed out, but overall, I am pleased that the Raptors are 19-6 and I am sure that many of the inconsistencies that have become prevalent thus far will be fixed as the season progresses.
                          I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                          -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I've never had League Pass, but I'm using Ballstreams for the 1st time this year. Love it so far. Works well on my phone, on the Roku Channel, or casting from Chrome to my TV. Plus, you don't have to worry about local blackouts.

$60 for 6 months sure beats paying Rogers/Bell for 17 extra sports channels all covering the World Poker Tour.
                            Do they do HD? What about lag? My laptop is run down and I'm not sure how well it can handle HD streaming.
                            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Do they do HD? What about lag? My laptop is run down and I'm not sure how well it can handle HD streaming.
                              I've been watching in HD without lag (on a wireless N network).

If your laptop can easily stream HD YouTube videos, I'm guessing it'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X