George Karl: Casey 'one of the best coaches' in NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post

And about now the rumors about Casey leaving town for the "big market" should start firing up.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Is Casey one of the best coaches in the NBA? Well considering there are 30 coaches, the top[ 15 are technically the best. Is Casey top 5? Maybe, maybe not, though I personally don't see him top 5. Is he top 15? I do see him that way, although I'm not delusional enough to actually believe I can make any sort of informed judgement.

He definitely is good enough for Masai, which speaks far more tellingly than fawning by his old boss or incessant criticism by some on this board.
      You're right.

He is totally good enough for Masai right now.

Hence the 2 year, team option for year 3.

Not a ringing endorsement but good enough for right now.

Comment

I tried to rank the active coaches I would rather (or not rather) have. Feel free to shit all over it.

Living Legends — Untouchable coaches that will never be available, ever
        1. Gregg Popovich
        2. Rick Carlisle

No Brainers — you’d replace Casey in a heartbeat with these guys.
        3. Tom Thibodeau
        4. Terry Stotts

Historically exceptional coach that is stealth tanking
        5. Stan Van Gundy

Prospects — Coaches you’d replace Casey with based on potential, reputation or both
        6. Erik Spoelstra
        7. Steve Kerr
        8. Mike Budenholzer
        9. David Joerger

— Dwane Casey Threshold --

Lateral Moves — Coaches that are probably as good or better than Casey, but you wouldn’t fire Casey just to get them
        10. Lionel Hollins
        12. Jeff Hornacek
        13. Brad Stevens
        14. Mike Malone

Obviously a good coach that can’t be trusted offensively
        15. Frank Vogel

Used to coaching far less talented players, thus can’t prove himself as an NBA coach
        16. David Blatt

Kevin O’Neill Back-Stab Potential — A coach that might be good but Masai would never hire
        17. Jason Kidd

Overrated (Coaches with teams that would probably perform just as well, or better, with any of the above coaches except Vogel)
        18. Doc Rivers
        19. Scott Brooks
        20. Kevin McHale

Meh coaches
        21. Randy Wittman
        22. Flip Saunders

I have no idea
        23. Monty Williams
        24. Quin Synder
        25. Brett Brown
        26. Steve Clifford

Shit Ass Crap — Coaches that have proven they suck
        27. Jacque Vaughn
        28. Brian Shaw
        29. Bryon Scott
        30. Tyrone Corbin

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Is this post directed at me? If so I basically said the same thing....yet somehow have it backwards? You seem to have focused on "post-up bigs", whereas I used the term traditional bigs, as I meant to imply guys who tend to play closer to the basket, which even energy guys (Chandler/Wright) are.
          My bad. Your statement about Lebron threw me off. Thought you were suggesting unless you have Lebron (an elite perimeter player), you need bigs in the post.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Ah that explains everything. Must be how you found out the cavs would finish 8th as well.
            no that I pulled out of my ass prior to the Kevin Love trade but have stubbornly stuck to in the off chance it pans out and I get mad bragging rights
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Well, maybe to the 8th seed
              Oh they don't need any help from me for that
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                So...fun story...

Not going to say how I know but I with 100% certainty know that Triano was frequently furious with the meddling from upper management. Colangelo did not want the stigma of blowing a number 1 pick and meddled relentlessly.
                I can tell you how I know it, he used to get drunk at Jacobs and talk about it. I remember when he was talking a a buddy of mine about how he was getting fired, even though he was getting fucked badly by management.

Triano got a raw deal.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post

George Karl's team never got out of the 1st round? ever heard of his Sonics team back in the mid 90's? one of the best teams in the league. Made the NBA Finals back in 96. Lost to Michael Jordan's Bulls in 6 games.

But anyhow, i still don't know why so much hate on Casey here lol. I still remember Triano's last yr here. We were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, top 5 worst i believe. One of the worst teams in the league period. Triano got fired in the offseason, Casey got hired. The following season the Raps all of a sudden became one of the best defensive teams in the league w/ pretty much the same personnel as the yr before. Offensively this year, the Raps are 2nd behind GSW in offensive efficiency. Last yr i believe the Raps were top 10 in both defence and offence.

DeRozan became an all star under Casey. Lowry became Lowry under Casey.

Culture has changed. Everything is just different since Casey took over and yet some people here want him fired smh. And btw, the Raps are 19-6. Best record in the EC.

Year 1 - 23 wins.
                  Year 2 - 34 wins.
                  Year 3 - 48 wins.
                  Year 4 - ???
                  Is it bad that a small part of me wonders what Triano could do offensively, with a group as talented as this year's Raptors team? He forgot that the basketball court had two ends, but he was a good x's & o's guy and his teams were always pretty good on the offensive side of the ball. It wouldn't be pretty, but I bet this team could eek out a bunch of 128-116 type wins

Comment

obviously

THESE COACHES WILL WIN YOU GAMES YOU SHOULDN'T WIN

1.) Pop
                    2.) Thibs
                    3.) Doc
                    4.) Rick

THESE GUYS WILL WIN YOU CLOSE GAMES

5.) Stotts
                    6.) SVG

THESE GUYS ARE GREAT TEACHERS/MOTIVATORS AND GOOD COACHES

7.) Brett Brown
                    8.) Budenholzer
                    9.) Casey
                    10.) Stevens

MIDDLE OF THE ROAD

11.) Flip
                    12.) Spoelstra
                    13.) Wittman
                    14.) McHale
                    15.) Brooks

THE JURY IS OUT ON

Fisher/Kerr and Blatt

there my two cents for what it's worth

Comment

I know I'm underrating Doc, I just have no idea where he would land.

Comment

Is it bad that a small part of me wonders what Triano could do offensively, with a group as talented as this year's Raptors team? He forgot that the basketball court had two ends, but he was a good x's & o's guy and his teams were always pretty good on the offensive side of the ball. It wouldn't be pretty, but I bet this team could eek out a bunch of 128-116 type wins
                        Looking back at that 09-10 season, it's hard to think Triano did anything but get the most out of that team. That was the sixth best offensive team in basketball that year. That's damn good.
                        Yes, the defense was a tire fire. But, Colangelo drew up a team for him with exactly one above average defender in the rotation (Amir) and four abysmal defenders in the starting lineup (young Demar, Hedo, Jose and Bargs). I know Triano's offense fell apart the next year, but seriously, look at the roster. It's every bit the predictable defensive disaster of the 2014 Lakers, say.
                        @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                          I know I'm underrating Doc, I just have no idea where he would land.
                          Doc is an excellent coach. The problem is he is an objectively terrible GM. Put those two roles together and it's hard to evaluate his impact on the Clips.
                          @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                            My bad. Your statement about Lebron threw me off. Thought you were suggesting unless you have Lebron (an elite perimeter player), you need bigs in the post.
                            Really more about LeBron's impact on both ends in terms of covering up for deficiencies up front. No matter how good/versatile most wings are, I've never seen one be able to make up for serious deficiencies in interior aspects of the game (and he does it for perimeter deficiencies too), especially on the defensive end. LeBron is truly a freak and probably the most complete basketball player of all time.

Comment

All I really remember about Trianos tenure is that he took over for smitch after a like 40 point loss to the nuggets when the team record was 9-9. He then led them to season ending record of 25-40. Hated him for that
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Triano was out of his depth as a head coach but he was also given a horrible roster. He had no chance.

Casey got too much blame two years ago and probably too much credit last year. Of course, I am one of those people that believes that 90% of coaches are interchangeable, so I am biased.

Casey's game management (rotations, time outs, situational play calling) are miles ahead of two years ago. He has a much better staff and they are much better prepared. It also doesn't hurt that he has the most talented, deepest Raptor squad ever assembled.

Comment

Working...
                                X