George Karl: Casey 'one of the best coaches' in NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    We're 62-28 since the Rudy Gay trade, not including the playoffs.
    Thanks .... i will edit

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
      Depth is a good thing for the playoffs I think. It provides two benefits:

1. We can play the hot hand on a given night.

2. We can put different looks on the floor which can get an opponent out of his groove or mess up his timing (like throwing Landry at Joe Johnson for three quarters and then putting James Johnson on him and forcing him to adapt).
      Casey doesn't do the first or the second. In games Toronto has lost he rode Lowry and Derozan and ignored the bench. In the playoff with Casey the bench will not be a factor.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Casey doesn't do the first or the second. In games Toronto has lost he rode Lowry and Derozan and ignored the bench. In the playoff with Casey the bench will not be a factor.
        disagree wit my eyes
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
          Raptors are overachieving.

I think that pretty much sums it up.
          Are we? We're beating up on bad teams and doing decently against good teams, that's what I'd expect from us.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
            Are we? We're beating up on bad teams and doing decently against good teams, that's what I'd expect from us.
            Well, 20-6.

Largely pegged as 10th bestish team in the league and 3rd/4th in the east prior to the season.

Hollinger's stuff has consistently rated us top-6ish, and we're ranked first in the east.

I can't say a lot of people saw that coming.

*with a major piece out of the lineup for 10 games now.
            Last edited by stooley; Thu Dec 18, 2014, 01:17 PM.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Seems like you either have a crystal ball or you've got a serious bias against our coach.

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                Seems like you either have a crystal ball or you've got a serious bias against our coach.
                I think what he's implying is that in the playoffs, your starters (or really your top 2-3 players) are what matter. In the regular season, having depth (both during a single game and dealing with injury/illness over the course of a long season) can really help a team succeed. In the playoffs, it's more about superstars and starters.

I get what he's saying, with regards to regular season VS playoffs. However, I don't really understand the correlation that fact has with determining how good a coach DC is.

If anything, it would seem to be more of an evaluation of the GM, not the head coach. The coach is using the players available to him and winning during the regular season. If he can't find a winning formula in the playoffs, when benches are shortened, that would seem to be more of an indictment of the GM not assembling a playoff-ready roster.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I think what he's implying is that in the playoffs, your starters (or really your top 2-3 players) are what matter. In the regular season, having depth (both during a single game and dealing with injury/illness over the course of a long season) can really help a team succeed. In the playoffs, it's more about superstars and starters.

I get what he's saying, with regards to regular season VS playoffs. However, I don't really understand the correlation that fact has with determining how good a coach DC is.

If anything, it would seem to be more of an evaluation of the GM, not the head coach. The coach is using the players available to him and winning during the regular season. If he can't find a winning formula in the playoffs, when benches are shortened, that would seem to be more of an indictment of the GM not assembling a playoff-ready roster.
                  Having 10 pieces and only using 5 means figuring out matchups. James Johnson playing 40 over Ross or sitting JV and using Amir. Or using rotations to maximize all 10. These are all coaching decisions. In the playoff the bench disappears and there isn't a quarter or two to adjust. During the season Pop tries different lineups to match up or keep guys sharp. Bonner may play more minutes then Diaw because of matchups. Joseph may get minutes ahead of Parker. Every series could be different.

Comment

Having 10 pieces and only using 5 means figuring out matchups. James Johnson playing 40 over Ross or sitting JV and using Amir. Or using rotations to maximize all 10. These are all coaching decisions. In the playoff the bench disappears and there isn't a quarter or two to adjust. During the season Pop tries different lineups to match up or keep guys sharp. Bonner may play more minutes then Diaw because of matchups. Joseph may get minutes ahead of Parker. Every series could be different.
                    As much as I hate Casey, I feel like he went with the guys that matched up with the opponent so far this season. So, I don't see why he wouldn't use the bench in the playoffs. Had he had JJ on the roster, you don't think he would have used him against Joe Johnson? or Lou instead of Salmons? Ross probably wouldn't have played too much minutes. Derozan wouldn't have taken as many contested long twos they would have been replaced with Lou's contested long twos.

All in all, I am I am pleased with Casey's rotation this year and how he handled it during the playoffs.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                      As much as I hate Casey, I feel like he went with the guys that matched up with the opponent so far this season. So, I don't see why he wouldn't use the bench in the playoffs. Had he had JJ on the roster, you don't think he would have used him against Joe Johnson? or Lou instead of Salmons? Ross probably wouldn't have played too much minutes. Derozan wouldn't have taken as many contested long twos they would have been replaced with Lou's contested long twos.

All in all, I am I am pleased with Casey's rotation this year and how he handled it during the playoffs.
                      Playoff don't use rotations. 5 v 5 until guys collapse. 40 minutes for starters leaving 8 minutes just for breathers. 1-2 players might be subbed in but using regular season rotations does happen

Comment

Playoff don't use rotations. 5 v 5 until guys collapse. 40 minutes for starters leaving 8 minutes just for breathers. 1-2 players might be subbed in but using regular season rotations does happen
                        What

Dude, GV logged 28 mins PPat logged 29 mins Heck even John fucking Salmons logged 14 mins. Casey used 8 Players in all 7 games 9 players in 5 games and 13 players throughout the series; everyone played at least 3 games. Just to find the right match up to take down JoeJ and PaulP.(we clearly didn't have any)

Here is another one, the Spurs played 7 guys atleast 22 minutes and 9 guys atleast 16 mins. 10 guys played atleast 22 games.

Playoff is all about match ups. The deeper you are the more likely we would be able to match up against our opponents.

Unless you are talking about having a starting 5 that can not be matched up agasint by anyone. you are talking 5 Lebrons on the court, then yea you might have a point about teams riding their starters 40 mins.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                          What

Dude, GV logged 28 mins PPat logged 29 mins Heck even John fucking Salmons logged 14 mins. Casey used 8 Players in all 7 games 9 players in 5 games and 13 players throughout the series; everyone played at least 3 games. Just to find the right match up to take down JoeJ and PaulP.(we clearly didn't have any)

Here is another one, the Spurs played 7 guys atleast 22 minutes and 9 guys atleast 16 mins. 10 guys played atleast 22 games.

Playoff is all about match ups. The deeper you are the more likely we would be able to match up against our opponents.

Unless you are talking about having a starting 5 that can not be matched up agasint by anyone. you are talking 5 Lebrons on the court, then yea you might have a point about teams riding their starters 40 mins.
                          Casey used a regular rotation in the playoffs. He sucks. Nobody does that. The worry is that he will do it again.

Comment

Casey used a regular rotation in the playoffs. He sucks. Nobody does that. The worry is that he will do it again.
                            you shat on casey, used pop as an example, then pop was used with what he actually did to disprove what you first claimed and now casey sucks because nobody does that.

hater

casey is a good coach

Comment

We didn't lose to Brooklyn last year because our rotation was too deep.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                you shat on casey, used pop as an example, then pop was used with what he actually did to disprove what you first claimed and now casey sucks because nobody does that.

hater

casey is a good coach
                                This was a funny post.

But I know where rap999 is coming from with his frustration. Just watch any important possession and time out calls. When you see Lou jack up a 15 sec contested deep 3 , you'll see what we Casey haters mean when we say Casey is no more than a cheerleader on the sidelines , at least on the offensive end .
                                2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

Working...
                                X