No announcement yet.

Three top picks in the 2014 NBA draft are now out with season-ending injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three top picks in the 2014 NBA draft are now out with season-ending injuries

Jabari Parker: torn ACL (December 15)

Joel Embiid: broken foot (pre-season)

Julius Randle: broken tibia (first game of the season)

Also, "Boston guard and No. 6 pick Marcus Smart, Chicago forward and No. 11 pick Doug McDermott, and Charlotte forward and No. 9 pick Noah Vonleh are either injured or have missed time this season."

I think the NBA should reconsider its drafting policy, because it appears that most 19-year-olds are not physically mature enough to withstand the rigors of the NBA season. Put the limit at age 20.

The problem with one-and-done players in institutional terms is that they make a mockery of the idea of college athletics as a putative amateur endeavour. The advantage for the players is that even two years in the classroom --if they pay any attention, and can read at least at a high-school level--can be beneficial to star athletes whenever their career ends. (Most careers will end along with college eligibility.) They are also less likely to be victims of fraud and misplaced friendship with a better educational background.

If those kids got injured in college, they would have no money and no insurance for their future. They did the right thing by leaving college.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Its wrong to stop adults from being allowed to make a living at their chosen profession.

If an individual NBA team doubts the ability of one and done players, they don't have to draft or sign them

Comment

Are there any studies to back this up or is this just a couple of freak occurrences? Embid was injured before the draft, not pre-season. Neither Smart nor McDermott were one-and-done, in fact Doug McD is the same age as Jonas. Elite athletes being forced to spend extra year or years in school is basically forced servitude - the school gives them an"education" as long as it doesn't interfere with what the school really wants - them to spend as much time as possible honing their sports skills to enable the school to make millions off their talents.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Or the league could eliminate many back to back games and giving players more time to rest. It is unreasonable to expect players to give it their all for an entire season THEN playoffs. I know they would never get rid of a few games in the regular season, but realistically it is the best solution for eliminating some injuries.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            It is unreasonable to expect players to give it their all for an entire season THEN playoffs.

wow.

$20000000.00 play at most 100 games. unreasonable?

Comment

Aaron Gordon's also finished for the season.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                wow.

$20000000.00 play at most 100 games. unreasonable?
                What if the schedule was 82 games in 82 days? It would be unreasonable no matter how much they were paid.
                Fans want to see their teams win, but also want to see elite players actually play, not sit courtside in street clothes.. The schedule now is bad - back to backs are not as tough as people make them out to be, but there are too many 4 games in 5 nights, which are the real killers. I'm not informed enough to understand why the schedule can't be stretched out at least a bit more - I know they're talking about shortening the preseason..
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Does this mean that Bruno now has a chance for ROY?

Comment

As soon as something out of the ordinary happens, there's always somebody who wants to find meaning behind it and change the rules. Just because most of the injuries happened near the top of the draft board, doesnt mean 19 year olds are more likely to be hurt. Odd things happen in every nba season. Guys get hurt at every age. And if it was truly the rigors of the nba season directly causing injury, why would 2 of your examples go down in preseason and opening night?
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Don't see how the injuries have anything to do with the age limits; and I support changing the age limit. Freak injuries occur. If anything, this strengthens the players argument that they need to get paid while they can and not risk more time in college.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Age doesn't have anything to do with injuries, they just happen it's part of the game.

I tore my meniscus 19months ago when I was 19, so if I was 25 instead of 19 your saying there would have been a less chance of injury???
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

theres wear & tear and there are just accidents. its barely past 1/4 of the way into the season. or are you telling me these top rookies just played WAY too hard and broke down after 20-25 games? 2 of the top rookies didnt even play a single full game!

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Guys get hurt at every age. And if it was truly the rigors of the nba season directly causing injury, why would 2 of your examples go down in preseason and opening night?
                            Fair question. I think it has to do with lack of down time. With the college season, draft combines, summer league, then the pre-season, these young kids do not have a chance to rest. But that is just a hypothesis.

As 3inthekeon points out, it might simply be a coincidence that so many draftees went down in one season. But we know that many men do continue to grow physically into their mid 20s. Paul George was said to have grown an inch in the two years after he was drafted.

Let me read up on available studies and I'll report back this evening.
                            Last edited by caccia; Wed Dec 17, 2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

For some injuries (like ACL tears), it doesn't matter how physically mature a player is. The knee is a vulnerable joint, period.

Comment

Working...
                              X