Game #26: Brooklyn Nets 89 - Toronto Raptors 105

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Decided to watch the 2nd half on ESPN. Jon Barry made a couple of refreshing comments:

1. Hansbro gave up a cheap And-1 to Plumlee. Jon Barry goes, "why not take a hard foul? Hansbro's gotta know he's not in the game for long. Foul hard instead of giving up the 3 point play."

2. Ross takes an ill-timed, contested long two, early in the clock. Barry says, "I don't think Casey liked that shot".

Seems like pretty basic basketball 101 stuff, here. Yet for whatever reason, we would never hear Matt/Jack/Leo utter these words.
    They aren't paid by MLSE.

Comment

In terms of defensive strategy, I liked seeing Fields cover Joe Johnson for 3 quarters, then blitzing him in the 4th with James Johnson instead. Seemed to really throw him off.

Well, either that, or he's 73 years old playing on the 2nd night of a back-to-back.
      DC adapted well. I was thankful Amir wasn't coverung Joe Johnson.

Comment

Decided to watch the 2nd half on ESPN. Jon Barry made a couple of refreshing comments:

1. Hansbro gave up a cheap And-1 to Plumlee. Jon Barry goes, "why not take a hard foul? Hansbro's gotta know he's not in the game for long. Foul hard instead of giving up the 3 point play."

2. Ross takes an ill-timed, contested long two, early in the clock. Barry says, "I don't think Casey liked that shot".

Seems like pretty basic basketball 101 stuff, here. Yet for whatever reason, we would never hear Matt/Jack/Leo utter these words.
        Have to disagree. I have heard Jack and even Leo critique players and the team in general. It's Devlin who's too busy spouting off usually meaningless statistics who is the company stooge/home team puffball,

Aside: Has Zach Lowe ever done network commentary.? Now that would be awesome.

Edit: Chuck Swirsky was far better than Devlin. Anyone disagree?
        Last edited by 3inthekeon; Thu Dec 18, 2014, 11:51 AM.
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
          Have to disagree. I have heard Jack and even Leo critique players and the team in general. It's Devlin who's too busy spouting off usually meaningless statistics who is the company stooge/home team puffball,

Aside: Has Zach Lowe ever done network commentary.? Now that would be awesome.

Edit: Chuck Swirsky was far better than Devlin. Anyone disagree?
          Jack/Leo will critique, but I meant specifically regarding shot selection and hard fouls.

I miss Charles Oakley.

Comment

I have to agree there. Those I did like. Especially the comment about fouling Plumlee....dude is sub 40 from the line, if youre gonna foul him, hit him hard.

Comment

• I'm really loving the 3 pointers 2Pat is hitting in the 4th quarter, he always seems to hit big shots then.

I was surprised by Vasquez tonight, I thought he was shooting like 5-15 roughly and it was actually 5-10.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
                I have to agree there. Those I did like. Especially the comment about fouling Plumlee....dude is sub 40 from the line, if youre gonna foul him, hit him hard.
                Hans probably felt a little bad about how what he did to Fournier's brain last game.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• I have to say, one thing that I really like about the game was how both JV & Ross bounced back after horrendous starts... and how DC left them in and kept the faith!

DC called a timeout shortly after Valanciunas lost the ball (again) in the 1st quarter and I figured for sure he'd be subbed-out early, but was pleasantly surprised to see him still in the game following the commercial break. I'm willing to bet JV was read the riot act by DC/Bayno at half-time, because he came out to start the 3rd like a different player - he made quick, decisive moves, was a beast on the glass at both ends, and I don't think he lost the ball once in the 2nd half.

Ross was ice-cold shooting out of the gate, but DC kept him in the game and kept calling his number. To Ross' credit, he didn't hang his head like he often does. He shook it off and hit a couple straight shots (3pt shot and an and-one), and his offensive game turned around. By staying confident and having DC keep him on the court, it was nice to see that whether his shooting was hot or cold, he stayed active and engaged on the defensive side of the ball. I thought he and Fields were really effective on their defensive switches out on the perimeter.

I thought DC handled them very well by giving them a longer leash than normal and, to their credit, they kept their heads up and turned their games around. Kudos to both players and to DC! When these guys are locked-in and contributing positively at both ends, they are difference makers for the Raptors (especially JV).

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I have to say, one thing that I really like about the game was how both JV & Ross bounced back after horrendous starts... and how DC left them in and kept the faith!

DC called a timeout shortly after Valanciunas lost the ball (again) in the 1st quarter and I figured for sure he'd be subbed-out early, but was pleasantly surprised to see him still in the game following the commercial break. I'm willing to bet JV was read the riot act by DC/Bayno at half-time, because he came out to start the 3rd like a different player - he made quick, decisive moves, was a beast on the glass at both ends, and I don't think he lost the ball once in the 2nd half.

Ross was ice-cold shooting out of the gate, but DC kept him in the game and kept calling his number. To Ross' credit, he didn't hang his head like he often does. He shook it off and hit a couple straight shots (3pt shot and an and-one), and his offensive game turned around. By staying confident and having DC keep him on the court, it was nice to see that whether his shooting was hot or cold, he stayed active and engaged on the defensive side of the ball. I thought he and Fields were really effective on their switches out on the perimeter.

I thought DC handled them very well by giving them a longer leash than normal and, to their credit, they kept their heads up and turned their games around. Kudos to both players and to DC! When these guys are locked-in and contributing positively at both ends, they are difference makers for the Raptors (especially JV).
                    I really don't agree with the Ross angle. He had that brief period you reference where he hit a 3 and then an and-one....and he was mostly utter garbage for most of the rest of the game....Had a couple of decent defensive possessions, but was pretty much useless for much of the night. And it didn't seem like he lacked energy. He clearly came out charged...but just didn't harness it well at all.

JV I'm encouraged with, because that has been the best thing lately with him. He's had bad offensive games, or games where he starts poorly, and still finds a way to bounce back and contribute.

Comment

• Really liked what i saw from JV offensively in the 3rd quarter last night. That's what i want to see. He scored what, 8-10 pts in that quarter? They didn't run any plays for him. No post up plays, none of that garbage. He scored most of his pts via dunks(great passes from Lowry), tips ins, put backs, offensive rebounds. That's how they should him offensively.

JV needs to work on his post up moves in the summer. Not just moves but also positioning. Watch this vid of Shaq and Barkley. That's where you should post up, not close to the 3pt line.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• You guys won't believe me when I say this BUT I didn't know if your instagram isn't private anyone could direct message you....so anyways, BEBE direct messaged me asking me out on a date LOL hes like I wanna sing to you and take you out dinner Saturday.....except in really really really bad English lol it was really difficult to understand what he was saying

I am going to have to pass and say no since he is 2 years younger than me LOL and it would be madd awks

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Really liked what i saw from JV offensively in the 3rd quarter last night. That's what i want to see. He scored what, 8-10 pts in that quarter? They didn't run any plays for him. No post up plays, none of that garbage. He scored most of his pts via dunks(great passes from Lowry), tips ins, put backs, offensive rebounds. That's how they should him offensively.

JV needs to work on his post up moves in the summer. Not just moves but also positioning. Watch this vid of Shaq and Barkley. That's where you should post up, not close to the 3pt line.
                          That's how many of us are actually arguing he should be used primarily. Now, they should get him a few touches in the post a game (like 3-5 or more if he's doing well that night), but they need to look for him more as an option for easy buckets. He, and Amir actually, are frequently open on rolls, or for dump offs near the rim, and get overlooked so someone like Greivis or Ross can take a worse shot. Lowry's been a lot better so far this year at finding them, but no one else is following his example.

As for JV's positioning, it's been generally better this year. There are still times he gets pushed out, and there are still times where that is actually because of passers being unable to get him the ball so he ends up coming out.

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
                            You guys won't believe me when I say this BUT I didn't know if your instagram isn't private anyone could direct message you....so anyways, BEBE direct messaged me asking me out on a date LOL hes like I wanna sing to you and take you out dinner Saturday.....except in really really really bad English lol it was really difficult to understand what he was saying

I am going to have to pass and say no since he is 2 years younger than me LOL and it would be madd awks
                            What?!?!?! Are you crazy?!?!?

A member of the Republic was just offered all-expenses-paid access to the inner workings of the Raptors, and it was declined???

Comment

• Zainab wrote: View Post
                              You guys won't believe me when I say this BUT I didn't know if your instagram isn't private anyone could direct message you....so anyways, BEBE direct messaged me asking me out on a date LOL hes like I wanna sing to you and take you out dinner Saturday.....except in really really really bad English lol it was really difficult to understand what he was saying

You would pass on going on a date with an nba player on the team youre a hardcore fan of that is already nearly a millionaire..........................Because hes 2 years younger than you?????

Wow, youre like jason Alexander on shallow Hal when he passes on this drop dead girl because her middle toe is longer than her big toe.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KazanTheMan wrote: View Post
                                Maybe we'll get a Bruno sighting tonight. That would be nice cherry on top of a blowout.
                                Kazanstrodomous
                                Last edited by Mr.Z; Thu Dec 18, 2014, 03:26 PM.
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X