Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about an exclusive affiliate in Europe (for Bruno)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about an exclusive affiliate in Europe (for Bruno)?

It's pretty clear that it is long past time for the Raptors to have an exclusive affiliate club, that they control/run, so they can control the minutes given to guys like Bruno, and set up the training to the highest possible standards.

At the same time, you want to give guys like Bruno the highest calibre competition to play against, and you won't find that in the D-League, because they don't pay their players enough.

So why not go to a pro European league and buy a team? It's got to be pretty cheap, somewhere between what you have paid to a Landry Fields and an Andrea Bargnani. Leagues like Germany and Israel allow you 6 non-EU players, Belgium allows you 8 or you could go for the Baltic Basketball League (maybe Jonas would co-invest in the team) that has no restriction on nationality.

The rules in FIBA are a little different, but many players seem to manage the adjustment. It would mean you don't fly people back and forth every week, but I think our main goal is to have a team for long term training purposes.

And you can imagine that not only would a pro affiliate run by the Raptors in Europe be attractive for training up our own draft picks: it would also be attractive as an alternative to college ... which would give our coaches a great chance to check out prospective future picks - and get them to love the Raptors - through working with them every day.

Crazy idea ... and one with a lot of upsides. Just the sort of out of the box thing I can see Masai considering.

Fiba and NBA are different games.

Salaries in D League would be cheaper.

Travel costs.

Keeping tabs is easier.

Easier to shuffle between NBA games and d league games.

Raps just need to get with it and get a sole affiliated D League team of their own.

Comment

I think d league is the way to grow. Problem is, no more teams available. They've kinda gotta create a new one
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

MLSE will never buy a team in Europe
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Buying development team for Bruno? Did I missed something? Is he Obama's son or the next Jordan?
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
            Buying development team for Bruno? Did I missed something? Is he Obama's son or the next Jordan?
            He's neither! He's the Brazilian something or other...
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Had this same discussion shortly after the draft and I think I was the only one who supported the idea of having development team outside of North America.

I still think it's a good idea despite the logistics but it certainly isn't for Bruno. Better competition, better international ties and scouting, better player experience (playing in large international cities vs Rochester and Iowa), better brand exposure and without a "local" NBA fan base to compete with.

MLSE would never do it though.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

In the current set up, the only way a team overseas would be helpful is for drafted but unsigned players (and even then it might be CBA circumvention). Since Bruno is already signed, he can only be reassigned to the D-League, not any international teams.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Raptors need their own D League team that will serve as their farm team to develop its prospects, not just for Bruno. Hopefully next season it happens. There were talks in the summer that some basketball team from Rochester could be the D League team for the Raptors. Rochester would be an ideal location too (4-5 hours away from TO w/o border problems) and this can also help recruit Upstate NY basketball fans to join The North than their pathetic Knicks and Nets.

Comment

Working...
                  X