Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fourth-Annual Luke Walton All-Stars (starring Sweet Lou and Patman)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fourth-Annual Luke Walton All-Stars (starring Sweet Lou and Patman)

Very sly of Zach Lowe to make Lou the Captain, lol. I wish he would stop calling us the Drakes though.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/th...ton-all-stars/

Starters

G: Louis Williams (team captain), Toronto Raptors

Lou Williams was a classic bench playmaker when he tore his ACL in January 2013, but he floundered in his first recovery season in Atlanta, and the pass-happy Hawks gave away their only ball-stopper in a laughably lopsided deal with the Drakes.

Toronto has unleashed Williams as a score-first chucker, pairing him with at least one point guard and happily watching as Williams nails audacious pull-up 3s and tricks defenders into heaps of shooting fouls. The prince of the Lou-for-12 is having the best season of his career, captaining bench mobs that are slaughtering opponents and fitting seamlessly into starter-heavy units — especially as the Raps cope without DeMar DeRozan.

Reading this, I'm no longer sure what a "Luke Walton" all-star is. I think it should be a player who found their way off a scrap heap and into big roles. I don't think this describes Patrick Patterson at all, who's basically a solid rotation player and has been his whole career, though he is playing better now. It barely describes Lou Williams, who had a bad year last year on team he fit with poorly, but otherwise has also long been a solid rotation player and at times has even started.

I guess the true out of nowhere players are rare enough that they can't fill a whole column, but it just seems like this article is listing bench players Zach Lowe likes.
    That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
      Reading this, I'm no longer sure what a "Luke Walton" all-star is. I think it should be a player who found their way off a scrap heap and into big roles. I don't think this describes Patrick Patterson at all, who's basically a solid rotation player and has been his whole career, though he is playing better now. It barely describes Lou Williams, who had a bad year last year on team he fit with poorly, but otherwise has also long been a solid rotation player and at times has even started.

I guess the true out of nowhere players are rare enough that they can't fill a whole column, but it just seems like this article is listing bench players Zach Lowe likes.
      "Team Walton is for journeymen thriving in unexpectedly large roles, and NBA players are confident sorts; they rarely find their individual success surprising.

So let me be clear: This is a celebration! Not everyone can be a superstar. It takes dedication for players to expand their games midcareer, survive under a heavier burden of minutes, and blend into different rosters as the NBA’s transaction wheel flings them around the league."

I think that sums it up. Lou appears because the post-ACL success he's having now may turn into a career year, and PP has stepped up to being the 2nd best 3 pt shooter in the league. Massive current success for two established role players, which qualifies them for the team.

Personally I think "The Drakes" is kind of funny. Drake has helped the profile of the team, but at the same time he is a bit of a goofball/sports homer.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
        Reading this, I'm no longer sure what a "Luke Walton" all-star is. I think it should be a player who found their way off a scrap heap and into big roles. I don't think this describes Patrick Patterson at all
        Patterson was traded twice in less than a year, and never lived up to his first round selection after being picked 14th in 2010. His numbers in Sacramento were terrible, but he rebounded in Toronto and then made another jump this year.

I think he fits Lowe's "Luke Walton All-Star" definition.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

I assume he calls us the Drakes because he knows it bugs diehard fans. Raptor fans don't exactly have a reputation for being calm or collected about their opinions.

The Luke Walton award seems to be for under-appreciated veterans that most fans don't know or care about (unless they follow the team). But yeah, every team could use a 2Pat or Ed Davis or Chris Kaman on their roster.

There should be a Rasho/Amir Award for big guys that seem boring but you realize were doing all the dirty work once they leave.

Comment

In addition to the two current Raptors on the fourth annual LWA* team, don't forget three former ones: Kris Humphries, Ed Davis, and Rasual Butler.

Comment

TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
              In addition to the two current Raptors on the fourth annual LWA* team, don't forget three former ones: Kris Humphries, Ed Davis, and Rasual Butler.
              They should just rename it the former Raptor award

Comment

Patterson attempted five 3s combined in his first two seasons...
                Woah, he's right. He was 0-3 from 3 in his second year in the league (the 2011/2012 season). What an impressive development he's had.

Comment

Working...
                X