No announcement yet.

[National Post] Dwane Casey on his team’s success, getting DeMar DeRozan back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [National Post] Dwane Casey on his team’s success, getting DeMar DeRozan back

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01...s-curse-words/

That’s kind of where we’re caught right now. We keep pressure on teams with our offence. But we’ve got to get a balance. You don’t want to take away with what’s been good for you, which has been our offence, to slow down to get our defence in tact. So we’re going to have to continue to work with it a bit, working in small areas defensively, whether it’s pick-and-roll defence or defensive rebounding or making sure you protect the paint, to compensate. But I don’t want to, by any means, take away from our offence.
    I think it’s personnel driven. Our guys are not great passers. We’re more one-on-one scorers and … more catch, dribble and shoot than catch and shoot, which doesn’t lend itself to a lot of assists.
    When we first started, you would say, ‘OK, there’s too much one-on-one.’ But it’s what they do. That’s what Lou Williams does. That’s what Kyle [Lowry] does. That’s what DeMar [DeRozan’s] going to do when he comes back. The only guy that’s really a catch and shooter is Terrence [Ross]. James Johnson is a back down, back down scorer. [Jonas Valanciunas is the same way] in the post. Pat [Patterson] can catch and shoot, but now teams are running him off the three-point line, and he has to take a dribble or two. As long as our turnover rate stays down, we can live with fewer assists.
    Is that what we’re going to do? I don’t know if our personnel is going to allow us to be a defensive juggernaut, a stopping team. But we can be better defensively as far as our schemes are concerned, and our rotations and pick-and-roll defence.
    I understand they’re going to have ups and downs as young guys. What gives me pride is watching those guys grow. You see glimpses of what they’re going to be. The reality is who they really are right now — you want JV to be every night, 25 [points] and 15 [rebounds], or 25 and 12. With a young player, it’s unrealistic to ask him to be that. Patience has got to be the key word for us.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

These one on one scorers are going to stopped rather easily come playoffs.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
      Yeah, just like we shut down Joe Johnson last year.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        Only to be swept the next round.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Interesting bit here; Seems Casey agrees with what many have voiced, that the defense actually suffers with Demar out...
          But we can be better defensively as far as our schemes are concerned, and our rotations and pick-and-roll defence. I think we’ll be better than that with time. That’s one area where [DeRozan’s absence] hurts us, because he knows all of our schemes. Whereas James is getting integrated in, learning. I’m not calling James out, but a lot of mistakes are made in the scheme, more so than individual defence. DeMar knows it frontwards and backwards, because he was here from day one.

Comment

Loved everything I read in this. He's pretty much said everything we've stated on this forum. I like that he is not blind to things though and he understands what needs to be improved and what with our personnel we probably just aren't ever going to be great at. I agree that this ISO one on one ball isn't going to be good come playoff time, but Casey makes a good point. With our personnel we just don't have guys who are known to be good passers, so realistically it's going to be hard for us to be a team like the Spurs and Atlanta who move the ball really well. We definitely need to cut down on our ISO's, especially at the end of tight games like the Portland game, but we are going to have to accept that we just aren't going to be a great assist team at this point. It's working right now and we are just going to all have to pray that it continues working come playoff time. Also I'm glad Casey sees how much Demar and Landry mean to our defense. Landry because of his Bball IQ and Demar because he knows all the defensive schemes like the back of his hand. Sucks Landry won't get many minutes if any when DD comes back.
            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Only to be swept the next round.
              Raptors would not be swept in the second round. And they are passing out of their "one on one" offense much better now. Close to 50 games to go to get it right.

Comment

Liked this bit on the teams defense.

"Landry gives you one way of defending, and James gives you another. That was good for us. I think that’s when our defense kind of took off a little bit. Now it’s kind of dropped with Landry being out. Those are the things that have grown and gotten better since DeMar has been out, which is good for us long-term."

I would say he recognizes the Landry is an effective option that he can use, at least situationaly. Landry's scoring when he was playing means that the team isn't giving up too much on the O end, and if teams just ignore them, their asses will get bit.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  We couldn't stop Joe because of the mismatch problems.

And that's really what it comes down to with one-on-one ball in the playoffs.

Hopefully, come playoffs, if they still don't move the ball that much, they just do a good job of exploiting whatever matchup is most favourable for them. And there will be times when DeMar, Lou and Lowry are all on the floor together, which could create a "pick your poison" situation.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    We couldn't stop Joe because of the mismatch problems.

And that's really what it comes down to with one-on-one ball in the playoffs.

Hopefully, come playoffs, if they still don't move the ball that much, they just do a good job of exploiting whatever matchup is most favourable for them. And there will be times when DeMar, Lou and Lowry are all on the floor together, which could create a "pick your poison" situation.
                    Lol unfortunately some nights that'll be a pick your poison for the raps
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      Lol unfortunately some nights that'll be a pick your poison for the raps
                      It could. Again, has a lot to do with matchup.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        Loved everything I read in this. He's pretty much said everything we've stated on this forum. I like that he is not blind to things though and he understands what needs to be improved and what with our personnel we probably just aren't ever going to be great at. I agree that this ISO one on one ball isn't going to be good come playoff time, but Casey makes a good point. With our personnel we just don't have guys who are known to be good passers, so realistically it's going to be hard for us to be a team like the Spurs and Atlanta who move the ball really well. We definitely need to cut down on our ISO's, especially at the end of tight games like the Portland game, but we are going to have to accept that we just aren't going to be a great assist team at this point. It's working right now and we are just going to all have to pray that it continues working come playoff time. Also I'm glad Casey sees how much Demar and Landry mean to our defense. Landry because of his Bball IQ and Demar because he knows all the defensive schemes like the back of his hand. Sucks Landry won't get many minutes if any when DD comes back.
                        Raptors aren't getting better by going ISO in the fourth. Team does move the ball well first to third. Then passing gets shut down in the fourth. Tried TRoss and he chocked but doesn't mean the whole team can't run a play. Against good teams Raptors play better coming from behind then leading. Passive play means no foul calls and stagnant offense.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Raptors aren't getting better by going ISO in the fourth. Team does move the ball well first to third. Then passing gets shut down in the fourth. Tried TRoss and he chocked but doesn't mean the whole team can't run a play. Against good teams Raptors play better coming from behind then leading. Passive play means no foul calls and stagnant offense.
                          We do play better coming from behind. Because if the game is close and we are up we play not to lose instead of to win. I've noticed that since DD has been out of fourth quarters haven't been as good, so hopefully when he comes back we go bak to the whole We The Fourth thing. We definitely need to calm down on our ISO's in close games though.
                          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                            We do play better coming from behind. Because if the game is close and we are up we play not to lose instead of to win. I've noticed that since DD has been out of fourth quarters haven't been as good, so hopefully when he comes back we go bak to the whole We The Fourth thing. We definitely need to calm down on our ISO's in close games though.
                            Our 4th quarters haven't been good because our players are either acting like morons or are being instructed to hold the ball and burn clock way to early in the 4th and sometimes we don't even initiate the offense till there's 10secs left on the clock!

We just dribble dribble dribble in the 4th and have barely any ball movement and our players just go Iso mode.
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              Our 4th quarters haven't been good because our players are either acting like morons or are being instructed to hold the ball and burn clock way to early in the 4th and sometimes we don't even initiate the offense till there's 10secs left on the clock!

We just dribble dribble dribble in the 4th and have barely any ball movement and our players just go Iso mode.
                              Very true. That needs to stop. Tomorrow's game is hopefully going to be close in the 4th so hopefully we learn from the Portland game.

Comment

Working...
                              X