Who should be shooting the last shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    True. I was speaking more generally in a basketball sense.

The last shot vs Brooklyn is a perfect example of a poor decision. No movement, no passing, allow the defence to collapse; basically all the things you can do wrong on a single possession.
    With a better coach Toronto has all the pieces for a great offense. 4 guards than can shoot - Ross,Lowry,Williams,GV , three that can ball handle , a real stretch 4 - 2Pats and an offensive C - JV. DD and JJ add a low post G/F. A better defense is in this roastwer too.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
      With a better coach Toronto has all the pieces for a great offense. 4 guards than can shoot - Ross,Lowry,Williams,GV , three that can ball handle , a real stretch 4 - 2Pats and an offensive C - JV. DD and JJ add a low post G/F. A better defense is in this roastwer too.
      They already have a great offense, the defense is the problem.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        For having a great offence, they still have way too many ISOs and lots of poor plays coming after timeouts. Lots of room for improvement.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Scoring and offense isn't the same. A good offense can score on 2-3 possession end of game versus any opponent. A high scoring team loses 115-125 and can't a bucket last 4 minutes of games.

Comment

Scoring and offense isn't the same. A good offense can score on 2-3 possession end of game versus any opponent. A high scoring team loses 115-125 and can't a bucket last 4 minutes of games.
            So defense? If a team scores 115 points they should win every time, regardless of if they can score at the end of games. I don't really think playing iso at the end of games is a huge issue. All teams tend to turn to their stars at the end of games and rely on isos.

As much as dislike an offense that plays a lot of isolations, but that doesn't mean they cant be effective. Also I don't have stats on this, but it seems like they are cutting down on isos.

Comment

So defense? If a team scores 115 points they should win every time, regardless of if they can score at the end of games. I don't really think playing iso at the end of games is a huge issue. All teams tend to turn to their stars at the end of games and rely on isos.

As much as dislike an offense that plays a lot of isolations, but that doesn't mean they cant be effective. Also I don't have stats on this, but it seems like they are cutting down on isos.
              They've been trailing. Can't ISO if the team is down. Even then it little more than chucking.

Comment

Last shot,who ever is wide open, Kyle Lowry would b my choice for the winner,he is Big Shot Deux(Billups).
                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                  Last shot,who ever is wide open, Kyle Lowry would b my choice for the winner,he is Big Shot Deux(Billups).
                  So if nobody is wide open we just dribble out the clock?
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

They've been trailing. Can't ISO if the team is down. Even then it little more than chucking.
                    Not sure what situation you are talking about, but I am confused how you point to the offense is a problem right now. I guess our definitions of a good offense are different, I think it is an offense that can score a lot of points and im not sure what your definition is.

According to Vantage sports, the Raptors have the best cut efficiency in the league, which leads to plays like this. http://gfycat.com/GentleRareHawk
                    The offense has relied too much on several players at times, but I feel like you seem to think the offense is only isos which is far from true. In a recent chat with Kevin Pelton, someone asked him about the efficiency of offenses which use a lot of isos, in particular the Raps, and he references his work Pro Basketball Prospectus, which found that isolation heavy offenses are no more or less effective than offenses which center around ball movement.

Vantage: http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/...nse-is-on-fire
                    Kevin Pelton's chat: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...r-kevin-pelton

Comment

Not sure what situation you are talking about, but I am confused how you point to the offense is a problem right now. I guess our definitions of a good offense are different, I think it is an offense that can score a lot of points and im not sure what your definition is.

According to Vantage sports, the Raptors have the best cut efficiency in the league, which leads to plays like this. http://gfycat.com/GentleRareHawk
                      The offense has relied too much on several players at times, but I feel like you seem to think the offense is only isos which is far from true. In a recent chat with Kevin Pelton, someone asked him about the efficiency of offenses which use a lot of isos, in particular the Raps, and he references his work Pro Basketball Prospectus, which found that isolation heavy offenses are no more or less effective than offenses which center around ball movement.

Vantage: http://www.vantagesports.com/#story/...nse-is-on-fire
                      Kevin Pelton's chat: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...r-kevin-pelton
                      A good offense can score against a set defense to win games. Scoring a lot of points doesn't lead to wins, especially if that offense is easily stopped. Lots of high scoring teams were first round exits.

Comment

A good offense can score against a set defense to win games. Scoring a lot of points doesn't lead to wins, especially if that offense is easily stopped. Lots of high scoring teams were first round exits.
                        Also late game isolation with Dirk, Duncan and Durant is effective. There are players and match ups which favors ISO like JV vs Len or Sleights. Lowry, Demar and Lou isn't good ISO late game.

Comment

If a team is high scoring how can they be easily stopped? Scoring a lot of points does lead to wins if the defense is good. As long as players in isolation are willing to give the ball up when help comes, or someone opens up, which the Raps are (see the vantage article i previously referred to), then isolation can work. I would only question turning to JV at the end of games in iso because he is rarely double teamed and looks to score for himself, so he may not pass to the open man. I don't like watching heavy iso offenses, but that doesn't mean they can't work.

I really want to know how you would improve the offense.

Comment

If a team is high scoring how can they be easily stopped? Scoring a lot of points does lead to wins if the defense is good. As long as players in isolation are willing to give the ball up when help comes, or someone opens up, which the Raps are (see the vantage article i previously referred to), then isolation can work. I would only question turning to JV at the end of games in iso because he is rarely double teamed and looks to score for himself, so he may not pass to the open man. I don't like watching heavy iso offenses, but that doesn't mean they can't work.

I really want to know how you would improve the offense.
                            Raptors do not pass in ISO sets. Hence multiple defenders draped on the ball handler. Never seen 2Pats, TRoss or anybody but the Lowry or Demar take a shot to win a game.

Comment

Half serious suggestion: Amir.

He's really good at getting an efficient shot off in a self-post.
                              @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

Raptors do not pass in ISO sets. Hence multiple defenders draped on the ball handler. Never seen 2Pats, TRoss or anybody but the Lowry or Demar take a shot to win a game.
                                Since you either seem to ignore what I write or don't read it, im done.
                                Last edited by DogeLover1234; Sun Jan 4, 2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X