Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After we inevitably let go of Casey, who should we hire next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Because coaching changes are hugely disruptive, and usually not a good idea in-season. Hence why I cite the need for an obvious bad implosion. Results would have to be much worse than what they've been.

Casey has flaws as a coach, but we're still figuring out just how limiting they are/could be for this team. As much as I criticize Casey, I had no problem with his re-signing this summer given the situation of the team. As has been pointed out tons of times, this team is still in a development/evaluation stage. That's also probably the riskiest time to make a change, where it could be the most disruptive.

Lets see if Casey can ever get his head screwed on straight and truly improve on some of his weaknesses. No rush to make a change.

The biggest, most legit complaint I think anyone can have with Casey is that he is too "defensive" as a coach, in the sense that he's rarely the aggressor in terms of strategic adjustments. He's far too content to let the other team dictate what's going to happen and what kind of game it's going to be. It's just hard to think of championship coaches who would use that approach. Since you play the same team over and over in the playoffs, that's arguably the biggest key. Which team makes the other try to adjust to what they're doing? The team that wins that aspect often wins the series (or at least that's how it's always seemed to me).
    Good answer, though your criticism of Casey is far more muted than the OP, whose description of Casey suggests sheer incompetence.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Will Larry Brown return to NBA basketball..? If so let's get him

Or re-hire me ^^
      2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        Good answer, though your criticism of Casey is far more muted than the OP, whose description of Casey suggests sheer incompetence.
        its hard to fire him at this point because firing a coach midway through the season destroys a locker room and for a winning team with playoff goals, its hard for them to instill a new system mid-season.

ill try to put it nicely, casey is just not a smart coach. he's stubborn to a pulp.

he claims hes a defensive coach but he rewards guys that jack up shots and play little defense (Alan Anderson, John Salmons, Vasquez)

His x and o game is suspect. I cringe when he draws up an offensive play out of a timeout. Its been Lou Will isos for too long this season.

Casey doesn't utilize his talent effectively do their strengths. We hardly used Novak, JV is being posted up at 15 feet away from the basket rather than a P&R big. Vasquez went from pass first to shoot first.

Teams go small ball, and we follow their style, never really setting our own tempo.

Firing Casey is inevitable, the question is, when and for who?

Comment

2kfeen wrote: View Post
          its hard to fire him at this point because firing a coach midway through the season destroys a locker room and for a winning team with playoff goals, its hard for them to instill a new system mid-season.

ill try to put it nicely, casey is just not a smart coach. he's stubborn to a pulp.

he claims hes a defensive coach but he rewards guys that jack up shots and play little defense (Alan Anderson, John Salmons, Vasquez)

His x and o game is suspect. I cringe when he draws up an offensive play out of a timeout. Its been Lou Will isos for too long this season.

Casey doesn't utilize his talent effectively do their strengths. We hardly used Novak, JV is being posted up at 15 feet away from the basket rather than a P&R big. Vasquez went from pass first to shoot first.

Teams go small ball, and we follow their style, never really setting our own tempo.

Firing Casey is inevitable, the question is, when and for who?
          IMHO ASAP and Who you got

Comment

Won't happen any time soon or next season. As long as the Raps continue to win 45+ games and make the playoffs (which is almost a lock in the East), I think Casey has a job for life. Which means we could even see his option year being picked up and even extended.

MU seems like a loyal guy who values chemistry and continuity over a lot of other factors. He also raves about Casey and the job he's done in interviews. It's clear he holds him in high regard.

Regardless of what us hardcore Raps fans think, MLSE is trying to gain popularity with the mainstream Toronto sports fan who doesn't follow as closely. To them, just making the playoffs is a roaring success.

I'd love to see Jerry Sloan come out of retirement for one last hurrah with the Raps, but I'd put my money on at least another 2 seasons of Casey.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              Won't happen any time soon or next season. As long as the Raps continue to win 45+ games and make the playoffs (which is almost a lock in the East), I think Casey has a job for life. Which means we could even see his option year being picked up and even extended.

MU seems like a loyal guy who values chemistry and continuity over a lot of other factors. He also raves about Casey and the job he's done in interviews. It's clear he holds him in high regard.

Regardless of what us hardcore Raps fans think, MLSE is trying to gain popularity with the mainstream Toronto sports fan who doesn't follow as closely. To them, just making the playoffs is a roaring success.

I'd love to see Jerry Sloan come out of retirement for one last hurrah with the Raps, but I'd put my money on at least another 2 seasons of Casey.
              Then MU loses his job. The situation is a repeat of the Nuggets fiasco. Players will dessert the sinking ship. Tankers will be happy. Casey has been here too long already

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                ...Players will dessert the sinking ship....
                That would be the ship that is floating better than any ship in Raptors history? And currently better than 23 other NBA teams (again better than any team in Raptors history)?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Don't think it's easy to assume such a thing (the bold) about Masai.

You say he's loyal? Well he's a guy who re-signed one of the core pieces in Denver (Nene), then traded him in-season.

Trying to judge his motives are hard beyond the obvious "he does what he thinks is best for the team".

Comment

After we inevitably let go of Casey, who should we hire next?

Depends, hope they enter a rough patch even with the easy schedule. MU should be seeing red flags everywhere with the present defence and no real game plan. By the all-star break if it happens otherwise the offseason. A lot of guys on the roster know Malone easing any transition or quelling any resistance if they are on board. It seems like a golden opportunity since coaching changes are disruptive and usually there isn't an option available. Honestly feel that DC was a BC hire name signing from a championship team that was overrated. He was useful in re-signing Lowry and 2Pats but now he needs to go.
                    Really??? Wish I could bold on Tapatalk.

I get that you don't like Casey, but to "hope they enter a rough patch even with the easy schedule" is pretty lame for a fan of this team. Sounds like you're more a fan of Mike Malone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      That would be the ship that is floating better than any ship in Raptors history? And currently better than 23 other NBA teams (again better than any team in Raptors history)?
                      Dude.. we're not raptor fans of old.

Our new expectations are championships. Anything under that is a fail, and im actually not being sarcastic.
                      2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

SamMitchells wrote: View Post
                        Dude.. we're not raptor fans of old.

Our new expectations are championships. Anything under that is a fail, and im actually not being sarcastic.
                        with this roster...championships? lool damn
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

we lose 3 games in a row for the first time during this spectacular season for the raptors and people freak out.

It's just a slump people.
                          A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
                            Really??? Wish I could bold on Tapatalk.

I get that you don't like Casey, but to "hope they enter a rough patch even with the easy schedule" is pretty lame for a fan of this team. Sounds like you're more a fan of Mike Malone...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I'm not a Malone fan but a real Casey hater. Casey isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, hampering development and introducing bad habits that will be difficult to break. Its cutting costs quickly before the situation gets irreparable. Team is playing like a tank team no cohesion on offense or defense and lots of terrible decisions. Malone is just a better alternative.

Comment

trex wrote: View Post
                              this thread is ridiculous.
                              end scene.

Comment

lack a lot of BBall IQ and fundamental skills like passing.
                                This is nonsense! At this level and at this stage a coach isn't going to improve teams' bball IQ and passing. We are talking about going from 4 seed to 1-2 seed here... not from the bottom of the east to the playoffs. Even then, more than anything else, you need talent, chemistry and trust of your players (as a coach). It gets even more complicated for a GM - to go from 4th seed to the true contender is a combination of all the above plus luck + more luck.

As for this thread, I'd argue that any coach could have gotten us where we are now: Mitchel, Carter... certainly, Karl. It's what's next is a question and I am on board evaluating come the playoffs. We need to win a series. Anything short of that is a disappointment.

Ultimately, I want a better coach here. No question. I just don't think this is the time to make a move.

Comment

Working...
                                X