Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After we inevitably let go of Casey, who should we hire next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's ridiculous to suggest firing a coach in season when we're a playoff team that is essentially meeting expectations. Yeah, we're still a step below championship contenders like GSW and Chicago. Maybe there are some bad decisions (or at least some head-scratching decisions) in those losses, but there's also a talent gap between those teams and us (a gap that has shrunk during Ujiri's time here, but still exists). As long as the Raptors continue to beat the teams we should beat (which means just about every game between now and the all-star break), his job is safe. If he gets us into the second or third rounds of the playoffs, his job is safe. If we fail in the first round against a supposedly inferior opponent, then we can start talking about moving on from Casey.

Until then, Casey's job is to get this team ready for the playoffs and get us as high a seeding as possible. A loss to GSW, while a little demoralizing for fans, doesn't really get in the way of either of these goals. If anything, he should have this team's ear again about how far they need to go to be contenders. He knows a little bit more about where his team's at, he knows more about both the strength and limitations of certain lineups against certain other lineups. All of that is good.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Going big by itself probably wouldn't have worked consistently, since GSW brings guards back to get the ball out of the hands of the post-up player - so JV would be a turnover waiting to happen. That's how they've been playing without Bogut. Their guards are really good at recovering back to the perimeter, too.

The key to GSW's defense is their over-aggressive switching of screens which allows them to keep constant pressure on the ball, force turnovers and get easy buckets in transition. This is why Casey went to 3 ball handlers + Ross, just to limit turnovers. However, the classic way to beat an over-aggressive switching defense is to move the ball quickly to exploit a big-on-small or small-on-big mismatch. This would seem like a decent counter to their switching, i.e., keep moving the ball until you've got JV vs. Curry/Klay/Barnes in the post, or Lowry/Lou vs. Green/Speights on the perimeter.

But the problem is that we've stopped passing, and even worse is that Casey firmly believes we don't have "the personnel" to be good passers. But then, in the GSW post-game, Casey contradicts himself and says that the players should have been moving the ball quicker against switching defense. Go figure.
      One of the often overlooked aspects of trying to beat GSW going small is they have the perimeter defenders to run that strategy. They have excellent guys out there in Green, Iggy, Thompson, Barnes, Livingston...Guys that are basically interchangeable and solid defensively. Lots of length and athletecism.

You put on ballhandlers to try and take care of it, but you end up dribbling more and passing less, which is exactly what happened with us playing them. And they not only have the luxury of being able to switch, but then are content to let their mostly good defenders try to contain ballhandlers without help as well.

Your point is pretty spot on. You have to keep moving the ball against that kind of D, and have to try and force a mismatch somewhere through that movement....Or you need to be able to initiate out of the post when they double so the ball can swing to open shooters. JV might've struggled all game with it, but given the quality of opponent, those struggles could be a great learning experience. I'd rather see that than watch lots of helter skelter O where guys are taking lots of poor shots trying to beat their man one-on-one because we'd just stopped trying to collapse the D in any way.

*A nice way of looking at it is it's a very similar strategy to Miami's D while LeBron was there. And we saw in the Finals that the Spurs key to success (apart from Leonard's excellent D) was general ball movement, and the luxury of initiating some of that through Diaw who presented a huge mismatch issue. He'd either score against a poorly matching defender, or they'd have to double and he's an excellent passer (and generally they did a great job of what you point out should be a major goal, and that's finding a mismatch).
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 6, 2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Reboc wrote: View Post
        Hire this guy

Yes! I mean, for most franchises, having a coach on a perpetual cocaine-high would be an obvious problem. But as long as you keep Sterner on as assistant, Ford's rants are going to seem pretty normal. Just imagine the press-conferences with those two.

Comment

The other part of being a good passing team is being able to catch the ball, Amir is the only big who can catch and finish in traffic. Best you can say about JV is he's improving. Don't think either PPat or TH can be called good either.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            The other part of being a good passing team is being able to catch the ball, Amir is the only big who can catch and finish in traffic. Best you can say about JV is he's improving. Don't think either PPat or TH can be called good either.
            I think JV's decent. Not as good as Amir (who has pretty great hands), but I also feel like with JV, it's a two-fold problem in that since we don't have great passers, he's forced to dig up a lot of low/bad passes that aren't good for anybody. *Because these are also the passes he hesitates or lowers himself to gather on even when he catches them. You give it to him high and usually he goes straight up for the attempt. Even Amir can't corral all those terrible passes. I miss the "Jose" passes where he'd just throw it high toward the rim, and it was always an easy catch and score for the big man.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 6, 2015, 04:14 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I think JV's decent. Not as good as Amir (who has pretty great hands), but I also feel like with JV, it's a two-fold problem in that since we don't have great passers, he's forced to dig up a lot of low/bad passes that aren't good for anybody. Even Amir can't corral all those terrible passes. I miss the "Jose" passes where he'd just throw it high toward the rim, and it was always an easy catch and score for the big man.
              Bayno practiced with JV by purposefully throwing him bad passes. That just shows what kind of passers we have on this team
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                Bayno practiced with JV by purposefully throwing him bad passes. That just shows what kind of passers we have on this team
                That's actually pretty sad....

Comment

Did anybody mention Tom Sterner. Maybe he'll be our head coach somewhere down the line lmao
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Did anybody mention Tom Sterner. Maybe he'll be our head coach somewhere down the line lmao
                    His bio is not unimpressive actually....This is outdated, but still covers most of his career

http://www.nba.com/coachfile/tom_sterner/

Tom Sterner enters his first season with Dallas after coaching at Orlando and Golden State.

The bulk of Sterner’s coaching experience came with the Magic where he worked as an assistant coach for 11 seasons (1994-2002, 2005-07). He originally joined the organization as video scout in 1989.

Sterner helped the Magic reach the playoffs five times, including its run to the 1995 NBA Finals, and served as an assistant coach for the Eastern Conference during the 1995 NBA All-Star Game (Phoenix).

Sterner served as the top assistant coach for the Warriors from 2002-04. In 2002-03, he led the team’s offense. The Warriors ranked second in the league in scoring that season, averaging 102.4 points per game. Changing his focus to defense in 2003-04, Sterner watched Golden State become the NBA’s most improved defensive squad, allowing 9.6 fewer points per game than the previous season.

From 1994-2004, Sterner served as chairman of the NBA Technology and Scouting Committee and was instrumental in the development of the Coaches’ Tools software currently used by NBA teams for scouting purposes. He has consulted with companies such as IBM, IDS, Avid Technologies and XOS Technologies.

Sterner served as assistant coach at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pa. (1987-90). While at F&M, the Diplomats achieved a 76-12 record, won three straight Middle Atlantic Coast Conference Championships, made three NCAA postseason tournament appearances and had the distinction of being the No. 1 Division III team in the nation as voted by the Associated Press.

Prior to F&M, Sterner spent six years as head coach at Lancaster (Pa.) Catholic High School, where his team participated in several district and state competitions.

Born on Nov. 17, 1956, Sterner earned his undergraduate degree in elementary education from Millersville (Pa.) State College and his master’s degree in sports administration and computers from Temple University. He and his wife, Marcia, have two daughters, Malorie and Paige.

Comment

This thread is a joke. What a contender needs is stability. Admit it, not one of us expected the Raptors to be contending for number 1 in the east this year. And now that they're currently struggling and missing an all-star, you guys are asking for the coach's head?

What's next, if we lose a game or so will we see Raptor jerseys thrown on the court as well??? Come on, guys!

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                        This thread is a joke. What a contender needs is stability. Admit it, not one of us expected the Raptors to be contending for number 1 in the east this year. And now that they're currently struggling and missing an all-star, you guys are asking for the coach's head?

What's next, if we lose a game or so will we see Raptor jerseys thrown on the court as well??? Come on, guys!
                        They were and are contenders for first. Chicago is still injury prone and driven hard and Cleveland is terrible without LBJ even with Love. Heat are underperforming and not suited for #1 over an 82 game schedule. Seeing Toronto a young team with depth and the Hawks a good team that's healthy on top isn't surprising. They are the only teams suited to be good over 82 games. Nobody else except the Wizards even wants #1. This isn't stability its stagnation and a fear of change.

Comment

I hate the argument that because there isn't a high profile coach out of a job right now we can't get someone. All high profile coaches had to come from somewhere and someone had to give them a first break. I would hope Ujiri always has an eye out for talent at every level of his organization. He understands how it all plays a role.

I like Casey, think he's a great guy who is a good coach for a good team. I don't know at what point we say "he's x years into his career and he hasn't shown development in these area" like we do for Derozan or Ross, but at some point we have to. Yes he's gotten better, and I would say he's above average now but I'm not sure how much of what he does is something he is willing to change at this point. If we want a championship team I think we need a superstar on the floor as well as on the bench.

Casey works well with a team in a weird place like the raps. He's balanced development and winning, because the raps really don't have a distinguished path yet. I think when we see what/if Ujiri decides the path to be and makes the appropriate moves then I expect we'll see a new coach. But with the contract he gave Casey I expect we'll see a couple years of limbo yet

Comment

I watched the Wizards vs Pelicans game. Man the Wizards offense is so fucking bad, Randy Wittman has these dudes shooting nothing but contested mid range jumpers.

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
                              I hate the argument that because there isn't a high profile coach out of a job right now we can't get someone. All high profile coaches had to come from somewhere and someone had to give them a first break. I would hope Ujiri always has an eye out for talent at every level of his organization. He understands how it all plays a role.

I like Casey, think he's a great guy who is a good coach for a good team. I don't know at what point we say "he's x years into his career and he hasn't shown development in these area" like we do for Derozan or Ross, but at some point we have to. Yes he's gotten better, and I would say he's above average now but I'm not sure how much of what he does is something he is willing to change at this point. If we want a championship team I think we need a superstar on the floor as well as on the bench.

Casey works well with a team in a weird place like the raps. He's balanced development and winning, because the raps really don't have a distinguished path yet. I think when we see what/if Ujiri decides the path to be and makes the appropriate moves then I expect we'll see a new coach. But with the contract he gave Casey I expect we'll see a couple years of limbo yet
                              He had a superstar named Gay and he messed that up. He is under a cheap 2 year deal and next year is a bubble year. He makes less than Fisher. Another coach isn't a financial problem.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                He had a superstar named Gay and he messed that up. He is under a cheap 2 year deal and next year is a bubble year. He makes less than Fisher. Another coach isn't a financial problem.
                                I think we can all agree that Rudy Gay was never a superstar.

Comment

Working...
                                X