MLSE board has weighed asking outgoing CEO Leiweke to stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLSE board has weighed asking outgoing CEO Leiweke to stay

It's terrible that even when we land a "big fish" executive, they seem to want out pretty quickly. The board of MLSE must really be painful to work for...

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-board-has-wei...ource-1.177981

With him looking to join a group to acquire MSG assets we can safely say starting a stub hub competitor was a crock of shit.

I always thought Larry T was cool....obviously not. I would guess his feathers were ruffled in all the change.

Too bad.

Hopefully they leave masai the eff alone.

Comment

): I want stability please
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

The board has spent months interviewing possible replacements for Leiweke and has been collectively surprised that some qualified candidates haven't been interested in even interviewing for the job.
        Not good.

Comment

For all of the talk about how much money MLSE has, I've never felt like they've actually been willing to spend it. I think if I were a big name executive and I had my choice of where to work I would go somewhere where they were actually willing to spend it. Look what they did in detroit by paying all that money to waive J-Smoove. We won't even waive Landry Fields even though he is pretty much useless in the NBA these days.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            For all of the talk about how much money MLSE has, I've never felt like they've actually been willing to spend it. I think if I were a big name executive and I had my choice of where to work I would go somewhere where they were actually willing to spend it. Look what they did in detroit by paying all that money to waive J-Smoove. We won't even waive Landry Fields even though he is pretty much useless in the NBA these days.
            What Detroit did was risky. By waiving Smith they are adding $5.6M to their cap space for the next 5 years for a player that will be playing on a different team. They stretched out his payments so instead of owing him $28M in 2 years, they will take a cap hit of $5.6M for 5 years.

If the Raptors did that for Fields, we'd have more cap space tied up and would have less flexibility. It was easier to just keep him and let his contract expire. Playing him was a coach's decision.

MLSE has paid luxury tax in the past.. the problem is the Raptors just had a bad team with over paid players. I don't think they are cheap. I also think they let the GM do their job.. at least that's my guess based on the fact that BC was able to trade for Gay or go after Nash. Masai I'm pretty sure is given free reigns to do what he wants and if needs to dip into luxury tax I'm sure they will let him do that.

Comment

a $30 million practice facility says otherwise

Comment

That MLSE doesn't spend is an urban legend in Toronto. The Raps, for example, are often in the top third of the league in spending. They often spend more than at least a few very successful teams, and only spend less than super dysfunctional teams or teams going all-in and way over the cap.

Cheap teams, like OKC, let a potential star walk rather than paying him. I don't know that MLSE has ever done that.

Two legit complaints about MLSE are it's more of a business that's just happy to turn a profit, and that the current board structure looks like it may be effed up with two rival corporations trying to work together in a boardroom.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post

Cheap teams, like OKC, let a potential star walk rather than paying him. I don't know that MLSE has ever done that.
                  When did OKC do that? Harden? They didn't really let him walk, they traded him before he could. And didn't get a terrible return for him. As for MLSE, well... See Carter, Vincent Lamar, 2004.

I know it's not the same as Vince wasn't expiring and was disgruntled, but the raps organization was a pretty idiotic one at the time and it was MLSEs choice to hire Babcock
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    Not good.
                    That's just F up. Not even interested in the interview ? That's when you have to take a long look in the mirror.
                    I fear June when Masai looses his buffer and has to deal with them directly.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      When did OKC do that? Harden? They didn't really let him walk, they traded him before he could. And didn't get a terrible return for him. As for MLSE, well... See Carter, Vincent Lamar, 2004.

I know it's not the same as Vince wasn't expiring and was disgruntled, but the raps organization was a pretty idiotic one at the time and it was MLSEs choice to hire Babcock
                      All they've got are Steven Adams and Jeremy Lamb to show for Harden, who has blossomed into an MVP candidate. Kevin Martin was a rent-a-player who walked. You look at what Minny got for Kevin Love, and it appears to be the first big mistake made by Sam Presti.

Actually, I can't completely blame OKC for being cheap, since they are in really small market - although, yes, this was entirely about dollars and cents. OKC was trying really hard to get Harden to take the home-town discount, like Duncan, Parker and Ginobili in San Antonio. But Harden and his agent were having none of that.

This is where I think the CBA and salary cap luxury tax penalties overly punish small market teams who build the right way, draft smartly and develop their own talent. IMO, home-grown drafted and developed picks should count as less (say 80%) toward the salary cap or something like that.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        All they've got are Steven Adams and Jeremy Lamb to show for Harden, who has blossomed into an MVP candidate. Kevin Martin was a rent-a-player who walked. You look at what Minny got for Kevin Love, and it appears to be the first big mistake made by Sam Presti.

Actually, I can't completely blame OKC for being cheap, since they are in really small market - although, yes, this was entirely about dollars and cents. OKC was trying really hard to get Harden to take the home-town discount, like Duncan, Parker and Ginobili in San Antonio. But Harden and his agent were having none of that.

This is where I think the CBA and salary cap luxury tax penalties overly punish small market teams who build the right way, draft smartly and develop their own talent. IMO, home-grown drafted and developed picks should count as less (say 80%) toward the salary cap or something like that.
                        Yeah they didn't get another MVP candidate for him, but they got back Adams, who's a big part of their team and a reason their D is so good, and Lamb who's shown flashes of being a good bench scorer. Plus, their pick was used at their discretion and could've been different (Giannis). Point is, they didn't let him walk for nothing.

I agree about the CBA. But it allows the team to resign players they had since their start in the league, through bird rights. It's up to them whether they want to go over the cap or not. I agree something could be changed regarding home-grown players, maybe not having them count for luxury tax? Or counting 50 cents on the dollar instead of $1.50? I don't know. Keep in mind it has to be fair for every team in the league. Otherwise, in 5-7 years, the Sixers and Celtics will have all the talent in the league.
                        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

This could be interesting.

Comment

OKC decided the spend their cap space on Serge Ibaka instead of Harden. They basically only had money for one without going over the cap. Ibaka is pretty damn good so I can see how it was a tough call, but I would have kept Harden and dealt Ibaka. Or just gone all out to dump Perkins on someone, throw them a bunch of picks, to have had room for both. Definitely Presti messed up there.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              OKC decided the spend their cap space on Serge Ibaka instead of Harden. They basically only had money for one without going over the cap. Ibaka is pretty damn good so I can see how it was a tough call, but I would have kept Harden and dealt Ibaka. Or just gone all out to dump Perkins on someone, throw them a bunch of picks, to have had room for both. Definitely Presti messed up there.
                              They could have amnestied Perkin but wouldn't spenf

Comment

Working...
                              X