Game #36: Toronto Raptors 109 - Boston Celtics 96

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
    Austin Daye had 22pts and 10rebs tonight vs Minnesota.

Coach Pop is a fucking magician!
    Wolves' defense is crazy good. Like taken from the magic book or something!

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
      Ist quarter was the same BS as usual but the next 3 quarters were pure domination looool

Defense looks better but we're playing a terrible Celtics team so it's hard to judge.
      JV's progression has been tremendous this year. He will be the best player out of this group one day. Sometimes his shots aren't going to drop but if he's taking good shots, which he does more often than not, I really don't care. This team as is isn't winning anything. JV needs to develop and needs patience. He is exceeding my expectations. Bigs take time to develop foot work, post moves, how to play against a double and how to pass out of a double. His rebounding has gotten so much better so far this year. Where we need to improve is at the 4. After that, I'd like to see where our current crop could take us. Ross needs to make a similar leap to Jonas, next year.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        I want JJ to have a bigger role but at the same time I'm afraid he'll go nuts again.
        Ha. Pretty sure that has been the coaching staff's fear too. But he seems more mature. Had a kid. That'll do it. I really like JJ. If he keeps going the way he's going, he'll get his money and the raps got a steal.

Comment

• And when Demar comes back. I consider bringing Ross off the benching leaving JJ as the starter. Make Ross earn it. He needs to go in to next summer hungry. Work on his strength, work on his handle.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
            And when Demar comes back. I consider bringing Ross off the benching leaving JJ as the starter. Make Ross earn it. He needs to go in to next summer hungry. Work on his strength, work on his handle.
            Concern I'd have is floor spacing.

Given how broken Amir is, I don't think considering starting PP with KL, DD, JJ, and JV is out of the question.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Given how broken Amir is, I don't think considering starting PP with KL, DD, JJ, and JV is out of the question.
              Ya. That's a fair concern. But JJ gives you a lot of other positives re D, rebounding & toughness. I like Ross. But I hate gifting youngsters minutes. You may be right, but JJ is earning it. JJ needs to shoot a bajillion 3's next summer. If he could hit the 3 at 35-40%... Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                Ya. That's a fair concern. But JJ gives you a lot of other positives re D, rebounding & toughness. I like Ross. But I hate gifting youngsters minutes. You may be right, but JJ is earning it. JJ needs to shoot a bajillion 3's next summer. If he could hit the 3 at 35-40%... Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
                Start PP and the concern is negated I think.

Comment

apparently JV PP lineup is bad statistically
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Problem is Ross would become terrible. With Lou and GV being so ISO heavy, Ross would not be set up as often as he is now and would be taking much more pull up jumpers. His confidence would crash, his efficiency would suffer badly and his offensive game faltering would no doubt mess up his defensive game seeing as he's not mentally strong.

I think that group of five would do fine, TH could slide back to the 4 and be a bit more effective and GV would finally have a big to run a PnR with, and more threats off the bench means Lou gets a bit less attention which makes him better. Moving TRoss to the bench is a good move for everyone except TRoss.

Comment

2pat is really good from 3 (his shot mechanics are similar to bird) but up until very recently he has seemed disinterested or unable to rebound or defend. I've seen glimmers of hope recently tho. Maybe not a terrible stop gap solution. But, I know I'm a broken record, we need to upgrade at the 4.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        apparently JV PP lineup is bad statistically
                        It's been the 2nd worst non-Landry 2 man combo to get significant minutes, as per basketball reference.

It'd still give it a shot. Pattycakes struggled when he started, but he struggled to start the year all around.
                        @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

• TeamEd wrote: View Post
                          It's been the 2nd worst non-Landry 2 man combo to get significant minutes, as per basketball reference.

It'd still give it a shot. Pattycakes struggled when he started, but he struggled to start the year all around.
                          Doesn't seem to be a combo that is used often. If the Raptors can use PP + JV together it is a great combo. This is another matchup issue defensively. Against the Hornets Biyombo + Williams should stop PP+JF obviously against Memphis or the Wizards it wouldn't work. Set lineups are dumb with a team with depth at numerous positions. Also Susan Sarandon was at the Raptors game for some reason.

Comment

• Since I got to go to the game courtesy of Raptors Republic - thanks guys! - figured I'd share what I saw up close. I'm going to stick to the brutal first half, partly because it seems to have been glossed over thanks to the strong second half, and partly because I was too boozed up to be paying close attention in the second.

- I've been a huge JV supporter since day 1, but man, his on-court demeanour right now is absolutely putrid, and has me concerned about him as a player. He's constantly showing up the refs and getting down on himself after bad plays; he even got into it with Vasquez a little after some botched p'n'r defence. It's gotten to the point where it seems like the team's assigned Bayno to be his personal psychologist/counsellor, and go talk to him after basically every stoppage in play. I heard Zach Lowe mention on a podcast that the he gets the sense the Raptors organization isn't especially high on him at the moment, and after seeing him in person, I can understand why.

- It's getting to the point where it seems like an Amir/JV front court just cannot work defensively, given how Casey wants to play. JV just isn't quick enough to pull off the hedging the way Amir/2Pat and Hansbrough can, and Amir, for whatever reason, is completely incapable, either physically or mentally, of rotating to cover for him. Either they need to be split up, or the defence has to change.

- GV, Lou, Ross and often Lowry - these guys basically don't try on defence...

- ...and because of this, of defensive scheme of conceding the p'n'r and then trusting in the rotations, as outlined in Lowe's article, simply doesn't work against a team that moves the ball well. The number of wide open looks the Celtics got in the first half was absolutely astonishing. I don't even want to think about what the Spurs would do to us.

- Apart from the actual defensive systems, just watching these guys try to pick the other team in transition is a nightmare. Multiple players seem to have zero intuition as to where to go and who to cover, leading to brutal matchups if the transition opportunity slows into a half court set.

- Some very, very puzzling defensive assignments by Casey in the first half: Lowry on Crowder/JJ on Bradley, both of which were exploited by Boston. Amir on Zeller/JV on Sully, which Sully exploited. Then later, 2Pat (I think) on Olynyk and JV on Bass, and Bass proceeds the light up JV on consecutive midrange jumpers. I think it's time to officially retire the 'Casey as defensive mastermind' idea. He obviously has his strong points as an NBA coach, but we've seen enough this year to know that teaching/implementing/strategizing defence isn't one of them.

- All in all, one of the most discouraging 20 point wins I've seen. We'll see what happens when Demar gets back, but my gut tells me that these guys (coaches and players) have a lotttt of work to do if they want to do any real damage in the playoffs.
                            Last edited by JimiCliff; Sun Jan 11, 2015, 11:15 AM.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              Since I got to go to the game courtesy of Raptors Republic - thanks guys! - figured I'd share what I saw up close. I'm going to stick to the brutal first half, partly because it seems to have been glossed over thanks to the strong second half, and partly because I was too boozed up to be paying close attention in the second.

- I've been a huge JV supporter since day 1, but man, his on-court demeanour right now is absolutely putrid, and has me concerned about him as a player. He's constantly showing up the refs and getting down on himself after bad plays; he even got into it with Vasquez a little after some botched p'n'r defence. It's gotten to the point where it seems like the team's assigned Bayno to be his personal psychologist/counsellor, and go talk to him after basically every stoppage in play. I heard Zach Lowe mention on a podcast that the he gets the sense the Raptors organization isn't especially high on him at the moment, and after seeing him in person, I can understand why.

- It's getting to the point where it seems like an Amir/JV front court just cannot work defensively, given how Casey wants to play. JV just isn't quick enough to pull off the hedging the way Amir/2Pat and Hansbrough can, and Amir, for whatever reason, is completely incapable, either physically or mentally, of rotating to cover for him. Either they need to be split up, or the defence has to change.

- GV, Lou, Ross and often Lowry - these guys basically don't try on defence...

- ...and because of this, of defensive scheme of conceding the p'n'r and then trusting in the rotations, as outlined in Lowe's article, simply doesn't work against a team that moves the ball well. The number of wide open looks the Celtics got in the first half was absolutely astonishing. I don't even want to think about what the Spurs would do to us.

- Apart from the actual defensive systems, just watching these guys try to pick the other team in transition is a nightmare. Multiple players seem to have zero intuition as to where to go and who to cover, leading to brutal matchups if the transition opportunity slows into a half court set.

- Some very, very puzzling defensive assignments by Casey in the first half: Lowry on Crowder/JJ on Bradley, both of which were exploited by Boston. Amir on Zeller/JV on Sully, which Sully exploited. Then later, 2Pat (I think) on Olynyk and JV on Bass, and Bass proceeds the light up JV on consecutive midrange jumpers. I think it's time to officially retire the 'Casey as defensive mastermind' idea. He obviously has his strong points as an NBA coach, but we've seen enough this year to know that teaching/implementing/strategizing defence isn't one of them.

- All in all, one of the most discouraging 20 point wins I've seen. We'll see what happens when Demar gets back, but my gut tells me that these guys (coaches and players) have a lotttt of work to do if they want to do any real damage in the playoffs.
                              Thanks for your insights!

JV comments are disturbing.

He has too much potential to give up on.....and just 22.

I can understand his frustrations but obviously can't support how he is dealing.

Hopefully he eye an opportunity to play for another coach in a Raps uniform.

Comment

Thanks for your insights!

JV comments are disturbing.

He has too much potential to give up on.....and just 22.

I can understand his frustrations but obviously can't support how he is dealing.

Hopefully he eye an opportunity to play for another coach in a Raps uniform.
                                Was JV's body language really that bad? He looked pretty amped upast night to me, considering he was having a good night on of fence.
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X