2010 World Cup South Africa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 World Cup South Africa Thread

It's almost that time again - every 4 years people in Canada remember that they were once descended of a proud nation that plays football (err, soccer).

One's own team of course never does any wrong, and if they do, it is clearly no worse than what other teams do. That said, nationalistic pride aside, here are my predictions (taken with a grain of salt, because we don't know the groupings yet, of course):

1) Argentina (too much firepower...they might have problems with their defence though)
    2) Spain (man, this is going to be a highpowered final if I am right)
    3) Germany (they look strong, and always play a disciplined style. They came so close to the finals last World Cup and I have to think they are still hungry)
    4) Portugal (the quadrennial disappointments might have it in them on the back of Ronaldo to make a push.)

Honourable Mentions:
    - Sorry England, just not strong enough this year, especially with the injuries.
    - We say this every time, and they always surprise, but I don't think France has enough talent. Is Ribery still in international play?
    - Italy's best players are too old. The new players lack the toughness and raw skill. The defence is not what it used to be without the core of Nesta, Cannavaro, and even before that, Maldini.
    - Brazil, I think, will get beaten at their own game by the high-flying Spaniards and Argentines
    - I think we can expect good things (i.e. getting out of the knockout stages) by Australia, Ghana and maybe the Ivory Coast.
    - Netherlands may have missed their best chance 4 years ago.
    Last edited by verbatim; Wed Apr 7, 2010, 03:43 PM.

I'm looking forward to it. Huge German fan and am hoping for another strong performance. Don't think they'll be there at the end, but their overall national soccer program from under 21 to youth is looking spectacular right now. Deutschland will be a power house once again within the next 4 to 5 years. Love Ballack, but his days are over. I hope he doesn't get alot of play this summer becase he's going to hurt us if we do play him lots.

In the end, I think Spain, Brazil and Argentina will be holding the golden trophy. All three teams are strong and have depth in every position.

Comment

The Republic Of Ireland!... errrr no wait, France cheated and the refs fucked us soooo... I guess I usually cheer for the Dutch or Spaniards. Any team from Africa that can go far would be nice to see too. As long as the Italians and Portuguese lose I'm satisfied with whomever!

Comment

Spain is the frontrunner. They're the team to beat.

I think England are the second best team and Brazil the third best. Then teams like Germany and Ivory Coast.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

I'm going for Spain and Germany all the way. Spain, because, Fernando Torres is just ILL - I didn't win a single game in FIFA 10 (more of an NBA gamer) until I picked Spain and started ramming goals with El Nino. Germany, because, I love Ballack and just have always rooted for the Germans. Finals prediction? I'm gonna say Spain takes the World Cup, against who, I have no idea.
          http://facebook.com/DiseaseMusic

Comment

Argentina Lionel Messi is a genius with the ball.
            "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Book Spain in for the win, unless they choke, no other team has as much talent at all positions

Anyway, here's hoping for an Aussie vs New Zealand final

Comment

So, the groups have been announced:

Group A
                France
                Mexico
                South Africa
                Uruguay

Group B
                Argentina
                Greece
                Nigeria
                South Korea

Group C
                Algeria
                England
                Slovenia
                United States

Group D
                Australia
                Germany
                Ghana
                Serbia

Group E
                Cameroon
                Denmark
                Japan
                Netherlands

Group F
                Italy
                New Zealand
                Paraguay
                Slovakia

Group G
                Brazil
                Ivory Coast
                North Korea
                Portugal

Group H
                Chile
                Honduras
                Spain
                Switzerland

Good luck to Germany who are going to get tired out by Ghana, and might get outmuscled by Australia - they'll make it through though.

I think Group G is definitely the group of death though. Brazil v. the Motherland Portugal? That should be fun. Portuguese always root for the Brazilians after Portugal loses - what will happen this time? Drogba always has something to say for the Ivory Coast.

In Group H, Spain v. Switzerland should be an interesting contrast of styles.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                  I'm looking forward to it. Huge German fan and am hoping for another strong performance. Don't think they'll be there at the end, but their overall national soccer program from under 21 to youth is looking spectacular right now. Deutschland will be a power house once again within the next 4 to 5 years. Love Ballack, but his days are over. I hope he doesn't get alot of play this summer becase he's going to hurt us if we do play him lots.

In the end, I think Spain, Brazil and Argentina will be holding the golden trophy. All three teams are strong and have depth in every position.
                  Not a huge fan of the Germans. Particularly Schweinsteiger, Ballack, Lahm, and Enke. Argentina has the little wizard and the bull dog Tevez. I like Spain though. Casillas is a top keeper, Villa and torres can fill it up. My only question is will Cesc Fabregas be ready to play?

Comment

Spain all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

after seeing messi dismantle arsenal, you have to think argentina has more than a decent shot...

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                        The Republic Of Ireland!... errrr no wait, France cheated and the refs fucked us soooo... I guess I usually cheer for the Dutch or Spaniards. Any team from Africa that can go far would be nice to see too. As long as the Italians and Portuguese lose I'm satisfied with whomever!
                        +1,000,000

Man I can't stand those damn Italian teams who year after year seem to do nothing and manage to squeak by and advance somehow! Anybody but the Italians is my mantra! LOL. And Portugal is not going anywhere you can book it. They might make it out of the group stage but will not advance any further.

Since I was a youngin' I've been a fan of Brazil so I will continue to root for them and I believe them and Spain have got to be the favourites. Will also root for England even though they seem to underachieve and disappoint most years. Netherlands is another fav team I'll be rooting for.

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                          +1,000,000

Man I can't stand those damn Italian teams who year after year seem to do nothing and manage to squeak by and advance somehow! Anybody but the Italians is my mantra! LOL. And Portugal is not going anywhere you can book it. They might make it out of the group stage but will not advance any further.
                          I don't think Italy is much of a threat to repeat. They are way too old. They are in an easy group though, so who knows?

I wouldn't discount Portugal yet. They are in the group of death though. As far as England, any team with Rooney deserves to lose - that's just one man's prejudiced opinion though.

Comment

verbatim wrote: View Post
                            I don't think Italy is much of a threat to repeat. They are way too old. They are in an easy group though, so who knows?

I wouldn't discount Portugal yet. They are in the group of death though. As far as England, any team with Rooney deserves to lose - that's just one man's prejudiced opinion though.
                            Group G would definitely have to be the "Group of Death". Brazil, Portugal, Ivory Coast and North Korea. I can see Ivory Coast managing a way to scrap it out of group play.

Comment

Ugh ... this isn't a good start for my team. Ballack is out for the World Cup.

Link: http://tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=321808

Comment

Working...
                              X