No announcement yet.

Kelly: The Raptors, Andrew Wiggins, and the long term plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn.. This article kills my dreams of a Chip in 2 years.
    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
      Ujiri is the most loved GM in Toronto sports, they'd be stupid not to re-him
      Casey is the most successful coach in Raptors history, but it doesn't stop people from hating him or wanting someone better. It's the nature of things to nevery be completely satisfied.

Comment

Isn't this story just Kelly's speculation, as Kopite91 implied earlier?

IF Gasol really is one of Masai's uppermost targets, what does that say about Masai's faith in JV?
        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post

IF Gasol really is one of Masai's uppermost targets, what does that say about Masai's faith in JV?
          Probably nothing. It means they have a plan for every season and offseason that includes "if we could grab any guy during this period to improve our roster, who would it be and how can we ensure we have the flexibility to acquire him?" It's planning for future contingencies so you're ready no matter what happens, ex. even if one of your core prospects suddenly has a career-ending injury. You have RRSP's and life insurance, not because you plan to retire next year or die this afternoon, but because it's your job to be prepared for the future. No one else is doing it for your. This is Ujiri's job - plan for everything.

I'm still not high on how much of the talk about Wiggins is just because of his nationality. Canadian pros haven't had any interest in Toronto before, and we've got Americans sweating blood for this team. Who cares, just get guys who play hard and want to be here.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Cathal Kelly's articles usually contain a heavy dose of speculation and extrapolation of his own opinions, often aimed at inflaming someone at MLSE or panicking the fanbase. This article is relatively benign and even complimentary of Ujiri's vision, by comparison.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              Probably nothing. It means they have a plan for every season and offseason that includes "if we could grab any guy during this period to improve our roster, who would it be and how can we ensure we have the flexibility to acquire him?" It's planning for future contingencies so you're ready no matter what happens, ex. even if one of your core prospects suddenly has a career-ending injury. You have RRSP's and life insurance, not because you plan to retire next year or die this afternoon, but because it's your job to be prepared for the future. No one else is doing it for your. This is Ujiri's job - plan for everything.

I'm still not high on how much of the talk about Wiggins is just because of his nationality. Canadian pros haven't had any interest in Toronto before, and we've got Americans sweating blood for this team. Who cares, just get guys who play hard and want to be here.
              There's never really been a good Canadian pro, except for Nash. And he's not even from Toronto. There's no doubt there's something awesome happening here, in terms of fan base. I've been to a couple games in Minny, they suck. Dead crowds. Playing in front of your home crowd and family like this would be nuts.

Not only that but compared to 10 years ago, the influx of Canadians is so much more. These are guys that playing together and developing relationships that can start in high school. Of course I'm not saying we should be trying to get a roster of nationals, but if it helps sway some free agents, whether it's all stars or roll players you gotta use it.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Gasol is doing pretty well playing with Z Bo...Not saying JV is Z but their 2 big system works

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                  There's never really been a good Canadian pro, except for Nash. And he's not even from Toronto. There's no doubt there's something awesome happening here, in terms of fan base. I've been to a couple games in Minny, they suck. Dead crowds. Playing in front of your home crowd and family like this would be nuts.

Not only that but compared to 10 years ago, the influx of Canadians is so much more. These are guys that playing together and developing relationships that can start in high school. Of course I'm not saying we should be trying to get a roster of nationals, but if it helps sway some free agents, whether it's all stars or roll players you gotta use it.
                  I'll be surprised if it matters to any of these Canadian kids. Steve Nash's nickname was "Captain Canada" ffs, and he picked LA.

Wade picked Miami over hometown Chicago. Kobe's never gone to hometown Philly. Etc. etc. etc.

I supposed Cleveland has a special dynamic for LeBron, but most players are full-on professionals and generally I think the hometown angle is just a nice storyline for media to write about.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    Gasol is doing pretty well playing with Z Bo...Not saying JV is Z but their 2 big system works
                    ZBo has mid range game tho, which allows for proper big-to-big spacing.

I can honestly see Gasol and Jonas running into each other, stooges style.

Comment

I'll be surprised if it matters to any of these Canadian kids. Steve Nash's nickname was "Captain Canada" ffs, and he picked LA.

Wade picked Miami over hometown Chicago. Kobe's never gone to hometown Philly. Etc. etc. etc.

I supposed Cleveland has a special dynamic for LeBron, but most players are full-on professionals and generally I think the hometown angle is just a nice storyline for media to write about.
                      Kobe was an established champ with LA, why leave?

Wade was an established franchise player / champ in Miami, plus the others came there... Why leave?

Nash was desperate for a championship so went to his best chances.

Imo all these examples are not relevant, there is no doubt that hometown is in the back of any players minds, especially if they will spend the cash to get you and are nearly contenders at that point.

The closest comparison would be if Durant goes to Washington come the end of his contract. I definitely feel we have an edge with Wiggins. And personally you would be forever solidified in history if you led your hometown team to their first championship, not even stating that it would be the countries first one. That to me is way bigger than say lebron leading Cleveland out of their drought.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        ZBo has mid range game tho, which allows for proper big-to-big spacing.

I can honestly see Gasol and Jonas running into each other, stooges style.
                        With a competent coach, I could see them being a dominant force inside. Gasol can already shoot consistently from 12-16' range and there's no reason JV can't become a consistent baseline/foul-line shooter (similar to Longley on the Bulls).

DC is simply the 'Mo' to their Larry and Curly. Or he'd bench them both and go small.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          With a competent coach, I could see them being a dominant force inside. Gasol can already shoot consistently from 12-16' range and there's no reason JV can't become a consistent baseline/foul-line shooter (similar to Longley on the Bulls).

DC is simply the 'Mo' to their Larry and Curly. Or he'd bench them both and go small.
                          I hear what you're saying, but we've also been searching for this coach for 20 years

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

What a crock!!!

If Casey is incompetent to the point of being a stooge, why was he rehired?
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Yeah, I don't know if those are the best examples. Nash wanted to be close to his family (thank god), Wade wanted to win rings, and Kobe's never leaving LA.

Either of us shouldn't generalize and say players care or don't care about playing in the hometown/country. Money, chance to win, playing time, etc, they're all factors. But playing in your hometown is one of those factors. And not just your hometown, but a hometown with an awesome fanbase and chance to be the face of Canadian basketball And if it was 50/50 between a couple teams they might choose TO.

And remember when the Miami rumors started? It was said that they came up with the idea when they were playing on the national team. So, yeah it is probably a thing. Is it a big thing? Maybe, maybe not. But it's a thing.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

What a crock!!!

If Casey is incompetent to the point of being a stooge, why was he rehired?
                                Chill dude, it was said tongue-in-cheek.

I also don't think that Gasol's game is similar to that of Larry or Curly, but I haven't been flamed for that cross-reference... yet!

Comment

Working...
                                X